PDA

View Full Version : 20lb or 30lb Mono on my TSS4- JEFFOOoooo!

Burley_Boy
22-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Ok having braid on my other reels I decided to try the mono on my new TSS4. Jeffo's love of the stuff swung me!
I'm planning to rigg it up for chasing the spotties on the Gold Coast using floaters as well as my new Macmauler slugs. On the way back from the reefs I'll be trolling slugs and Halco lures as well as the occasional skirted lure (selection of 1x!) to see what I can pickup.
Now I'm sitting here with my new reel and trying to rig in the most versatile way. I have 300M of Penn10x 30lb line and I thought that would be playing it safe since I don't want to loose any of the trolling lures.
The question is should I reduce this to 20lb and run a 40lb trace? That would mean another trip to the tackle shop. Would this mean more hits?

I've got in the tackle box at the moment,
30lb Penn10x
40lb and 100lb Jinkai leader

billfisher
22-12-2004, 05:11 AM
30lb line is way too heavy for that reel. It will dramatically reduce your casting distance as the spool diammeter will drop quickly during the cast with such a heavy line. Also you don't need line that heavy to land school mackeral. 20lb line would be enough to land a large spaniard provided you have the drag set correctly. Actually I think the lighter line would be more likely to land a large pelagic as at least you would have a decent capacity to handle the first run.
Even 20lb line is a bit heavy for this application and will cut down your distance when casting small slugs. One my TSS4 I have 25 lb Platypus Super 100 which is a super fine line with the diammeter of an ordinary 15 lb line. This way I get good distance with small lures, but I can get extra drag pressure on larger fish such a reef loving kingies. If you use this line make sure you tie a Bimini doulble first a the knot strength in a single line is a bit suspect. #

Black_Rat
22-12-2004, 05:46 AM
I recently bought a TSS4 and was steered in the direction at the tackle store to the Platypus Super 100, 20 lb which has a thin dia of .31 mm from memory and fit on about 400m of it onto the reel. However I've not used it yet and can't make any comment as to its performace to date #:-/ only tomorrow will tell #::) ;D here spotty ..spotty #;D ;D ;D

dfox
22-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Id use either a thin diameter 20lb line or even a bit lighter, on 20 most spotties are nearly a skull drag in and for a bit of fun go lighter at least the drag will get a work out and the casting distance will increase. 30 is way to big...

SeaHunt
22-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Yep what foxy said.
I just bought 300 metres of 20 lb penn 10X to use as backing, and 14lb fireline for the business end. 125 yards of Smoke 14 lb Fireline for 9 bucks at K.. Mart. #;)
Should get excellent cast distance with 14 lb , I do with 20 lb so 14 should be even better, and if you latch onto something that takes you down to the backing the 20 lb 10X should definatelly be up to the job. Just make sure you are happy with the knot tieing the fireline to the backing, I tie a few different ones and pull them till they break to see where they fail before I am happy to go with one. Thinner fireline cuts into the mono with some knots. #:P

jeffo
22-12-2004, 12:03 PM
i got 8kg on my tss4, works fine. for using slugs, no leader, for floaters id use the 40lb jink and for trolling lures for razor gang get your self some single strand wire. the lighter the better IMO. youd have to get a fair lump of spottie to warrant 10kg+ line.

JB
22-12-2004, 12:07 PM
if ur floatling, u better use wire otherwise u'll be winding in slack line a lot ;) . Unless ur using 3 gangs which may give u some chance, but u'll still lose them. Macks have big sharp mouths and floaters with no wire leader wont last 5 mins. Trust me, nothin worse than being surrounded by boats catchin and ur re-riggin hooks every 10 mins.

Blue_Escape
22-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Jeffo / JB,
by single strand wire do you mean the stainless stuff you attach with a haywire twist or something else? Also what rating and length do you recommend?

Cheers
Blue

mackmauler
22-12-2004, 12:42 PM
blue, go for 27/32lb sindle strand.

jeffo
22-12-2004, 02:13 PM
yes blue.

Burley_Boy
22-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Thought as much, thanks guys, I just let the tackle shop pick the line size when I collected the TSS4 and then got to thinking once I got home that it sounded a bit on the heavy side. :P
Really appreciate your input, we'll see if I can handle jeffo's no wire technique or if I have to go with JB on wire. I'll be ready with both once I get out there.

jeffo
23-12-2004, 02:03 AM
sounds like a plan... i use no wire for when the fish are not thick and a bit finiky... if you get in the middle of a hot bite put wire on... wire will not get as many bites as mono generally speaking.

Heath
23-12-2004, 03:51 AM
Thought as much, thanks guys, I just let the tackle shop pick the line size when I collected the TSS4 and then got to thinking once I got home that it sounded a bit on the heavy side. #:P

Which tackle shop was that?