PDA

View Full Version : What Rod ?

gunna
08-01-2005, 06:42 AM
The local tackle shop has a closing down sale on so yesterday I grabbed a new TSS4. Why - Because you blokes rave about them a fair bit. Later in the year I will be fishing out of the Sunshine Coast & hopefully throwing slugs at fast fish - with the TSS4. Question is - what reasonably cheap rod do I want that will match the reel and suit the purpose ??

Cheers

Scott15
08-01-2005, 06:51 AM
the ugly stick Gold spin stick is an 8ft rod its got a bit of whip in it and its strong for its size. it costs $100. there are a lot more but thats just what i use and it does the job nicely.

scott

gunna
08-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks Scott. I expect I may use this for jigging as well. Will that rod suit for that ?

Bashir
08-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Which tackle shop would that be??

gunna
08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Gowings in the City Bash. #They have 30% off lots of things - which isn't real cheap but not too bad. #Got a couple 300m Firelines for $50.

wheezer
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Flicking slugs is harsh on rods with the leader repeatedly going through the guides flat out during casts so it pays to get something pretty decent. I've had quite a few years good service from my 6'6" live fibre and TSS4, landing plenty of good fish including longtail tuna to 20lb off the rocks here on the sunnie coast. You should be able to get one of these rods for under $200. If you intend to do a bit of light-duty jigging keep it around 6'-6" otherwise go somewhere around 7-8' if you intend on using from the rocks as well

DR
08-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Strudwick have a 7' 4kg - 8kg #sicstik in there bluewater spin series
retail at $139.99.
recently grabbed one to spin with 6kg, have not had a chance to use in anger, so i cannot tell how it actually performs, maybe someone out there has used one & give some info. but if it stands up it appears to be pretty good value. it's a nice stiff graphite blank with heaps of power & soft enough in the tip to chuck slugs around.
worth a look. also come in heavier versions for same price.