PDA

View Full Version : braided double

blaze
16-01-2005, 08:42 AM
hi all
Dont like the idea of super gluing a mono line but would like to streamline a braided double and was wonder how they would be with a bit of black heatshrink
thoughts please
cheers
blaze

Heath
16-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Haven't used super glue yet on a knot.

Is it the double you want to stream line or the leader knot?

For a double in braid I use the bimini twist & for a leader knot use the No Name Knot.

billfisher
16-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Heatshink has to be heated. I don't imagine this will do mono line any good! I wouldn't use supa glue on any knot either. Knots are meant to flex with strain and glue will prevent this.
What breaking strain mono are you using? I haven't had any problems with 20lb line knotted to a gel spun double as long as I have trimmed the tag end close.

blaze
16-01-2005, 11:26 AM
15kg line
I spent the afternoon tieing and busting knots and platted double. I am impressed with the torture they take. The line was busting at 40lb straight pull at the attachment I had in the vice with no visable alteration to the braided double. Dont like the bimini twist as it seems to complecated to tie. Will have a go one winters day. I thought about heatshrink as a means of streamlining the tag end, but I have them trimmed off faily short now and hofefully they wont let go
thanks all
cheers
blaze

Heath
16-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I thought the Bimini was complicated as well. Willo showed me one arvo & with a few practices now only takes a few minutes to tie. A hell of a lot easier than a plat & takes a third of the time.

I also use a uni knot to tie my terminal tackle on. Whenever I've managed to get caught up on the bottom, it's always either the uni knot or leader itself thats let go before the bimini or no name knot.

blaze
16-01-2005, 12:03 PM
played around with the bimini with a mate that said he could tie it. yeh right, havnt tried since. Doesnt take long to do a plaited braid and I can do it by my self
cheers
blaze

jeffo
16-01-2005, 12:08 PM
whats not streamlined enough about a well tied plait?

billfisher
16-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Blaze,

Thats strange, I only tie biminis, mainly because I could never figure out how to do a plait from the diagrams. The bimini is one of the simplest knots there is as there are only 3 steps:
(i) twist the doubled line
(ii) curl the tag piece of line back down the twist
(iii) tie off the tag end.
Actually it is easier to tie in braid than mono is the braid curls back over the twist easier. I'd also do about 40 turns in braid than the 20 which is normal for mono.

damons33
16-01-2005, 01:40 PM
bimini twist is perfect in braid its as if it was designed to be(it requires far less tension in braid to do the barrel roll back over the twist, i finish with a half hitch around each leg then 4 half hitches in a row and cut it of nearly flush) and is probably the easiest knot you could tie.
# i think that a slim beauty is a good leader knot if your going to use it for casting thru runners or a 8twist cats paw to a swivel for bottom bouncing, biggest drama with the cats paw is changing sinker weigh you will have to re tie the lot! but once you know the weight you want, that is the best set up.
damon ps. billfisher we typed that at the same time.lol

blaze
16-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Jeffo
Wasnt game to trim the tag back far enough (not trusting my self) problem solved with trimming tag. I read somewhere that they had a habit of coming loose, after etensive testing I am now happy. Going to load another reel up with braid and have another go with the bimini (cant be that hard, ha) twist here, stick ya feet through here, jam that in there, wrap that around there and i am real twisted, time for a untwisting ale i feel
cheers
blaze

Cheech
16-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I was the same not wanting to give it a go,,, but then I got a level wind overhead that has a thin slot, so had to find a thinner knot.

Tried a Bimini and nailed it first time. Interesting that I find it easier to tie it holding the loop in my hand rather than around my foot. Apparently it is suppose to be easier using your foot but was not for me.

Worth giving it a go.

Have also been using the braid leader knot to tie on the leader. Not so confident in it yet. I have found that unless you really load it up when tying it, it will slip a bit. That is ok if you have a long tag, but if you trim it too short too early then you may have problems.

Cheech

Moffy
16-01-2005, 05:25 PM
how about a Rizzuto (sp?) finish to complete the Bimini Twist.

think i read about it on Harro's site or somewhere similar - makes for a nice neat tag end that can be trimmed off very very short.

damons33
17-01-2005, 06:37 AM
the palarva finish is using a loop of line to pull thru the tag end on a reverse twist on the bottom end of the bimini twist, defeating the easy to tie at sea in sloppy conditions or when fish are going ape shit beside the boat!
we have no probs with the half hitch finish, but we do half hitch both legs from the inside out so it has a "squeeze" affect.
#we tie this double because its the easiest to tie in 15knots of wind 1.5m of swell on a 5m boat! you put the rod in the rod holder sit on the livebait tank and sling the double over your toe. it takes about 20 seconds to complete where as the plait takes several minutes and is harder to keep totally tight throughout the entire process, i can and do tie both but i save the plaits for dry land.
# the slim beauty is a fly tippet to line knot which is easy peazy-
tie a double over hand knot and tighten untill it males a figure 8 then thread the double through the eyes of the 8 and finish it with a clinch knot of the double around the leader. #knots that don't fail, cast well and can be tied in a small boat in sloppy seas.
# lets not get away from the purpose of leaders and double which is to retain 100% of mainline breaking stain whilest providing a hardier connection to the fish, for the majority of angler using heavier mainlines then game or sports fishermen, their is no real need to use them..... but to learn how to tight a good terminal connection like a uni knot or locked clinch knot and have total faith in it- test it at home so as you know it doesn't slip when you tie it.
# #most of those knots get 70% of mainline strenght, so if you're using say 3kg line for flathead instead of 1kg line for them you wont need it!
::)
damon
#

Cheech
17-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Damo,

I will have to look into the half hinch locking. I fo that is easy and effective then sure beats stuffing about with extra bits to double back to lock off.

By the way, for my 6lb braid I use a uni. never ever failed me.

Cheech

damons33
17-01-2005, 06:22 PM
cheech i would double the 6lb over before tying the uni-knot, not tie a double! but simply double over the end..... a tip to me from spot x-aka roy, thx mate!
damon