PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your Tackle Box?

DavidT
07-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Ok just a quick couple of questions to get a picture of the topic.

1. How often do you clean your tackle Box

2. What do you clean it with?

3. When should one clean it? (Might sound stupid but i am sure i will be surprised by some of the answers)

Being a Land Based fisher for the better part of my life, cleaning the tackle box once every one too two years was the norm, but since going out on the boat (Mine and others) i found that the tackle box gets more wet, and messy/dirty quicker, it also tends to get much salt water in it.

I just spent 4 hours cleaning it out today (The glory of working from home i guess) and i was shocked at how much of my equipment was damaged by rust, and how much of it was still wet.

What is everyone elses experiance?

Look Forward to the responses.

Cheers,

David.

agnes_jack
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
David
Never!
If I clean it out I am bound to chuck something that I need !
I just restock it.

Regards, Tony ;D ;D 8) 8)

DavidT
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
David
Never!
If I clean it out I am bound to chuck something that I need !
I just restock it.

Regards, Tony ;D ;D 8) 8)

LOL Tony that scares me :D :D :D

I would hate to imagine what it looks like then... On second thoughts id rather not cause it might force me to want to buy a bigger tackle box to hide the mess.

Cheers,

David.

philip_thomson
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
David before my dad bought a boat i used to have to clean my tacklebox aftrer every trip. for some reason it would always rain when ever i would go on a week long trip and i would always keep the box open. this reulted in all the hooks going rusty and then the box getting rusty. now that i have a boat the tackle box gets cleaned when im really bored ;D. or when im planing a trip so i have everything before i leave and will not forget anything.

as for what do i use i use water and a tissue and just scrub away at all the rust and sand and dirt and other non tackle box friendly items.

one should clean there tackle box when u open it up and the smell of rotten worm left on the hooks is to much to bear. ;D

cheers phil

Thunderbird
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Dave i've found the best thing for cleaning tackle boxes is believe it or not "Shower power".
Just spray it on, give it a few minutes to work then get in there with a toothbrush and the rust stains come right off along with anyother hard to remove grine and blood, hose it off and leave to dry throughly out.
She'll come up like brand new ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DavidT
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Dave i've found the best thing for cleaning tackle boxes is believe it or not "Shower power".
Just spray it on, give it a few minutes to work then get in there with a toothbrush and the rust stains come right off along with anyother hard to remove grine and blood, hose it off and leave to dry throughly out.
She'll come up like brand new ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey Thunder Bird,

I didnt have shower power today, but i did use Mr. Muscle and it got pretty much all the rust stains out. But i have taken note of the shower power idea, i will by some next time and give that a shot.

Cheers,

David.

Thunderbird
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Yeah Dave it's pretty good stuff, but don't tell the tacklebox companies. Otherwise they'll want it taken off the shelves.
It'll be our little secret :-X :-X

If you do your tacklebox in the shower you're killing two birds with one stone ::) ::)
Same could be said for mr muscle but it'd be a bit tricky to do in the oven;D ;D

philip_thomson
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
thats one of the smartest ideas i have ever heard of cleaning the tackle box in the shower ;D. as for the toothbrush i can;t afford a 2nd toothbrush im sure my sister will not mind me borrowing hers ;D

Thunderbird
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
lol phill
She'll have nice white teeth!

adriancorrea
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Thunderbird
Make sure that the oven is turned off first lol
Yeh David I too have use the shower power and it works quite well, but I dont think the wife would like me to use it in the shower.

Tight Lines
Adrian

DavidT
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Ok i wonder how many more have used shower power, i think they have just found their new selling point LOL

Cheers,

David.

Thunderbird
07-01-2005, 01:11 PM
There's an idea for you Tony [smiley=bulb2.gif]
Put it into 100ml bottles and charge $10
What would the lable read as i wonder?

Dug
07-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry but you clean tackle boxes? Would that not remove that beautiful patterna of aged fish scale blood and rust? My old tackle box of some 12 years finally broke and was sadly replaced with some new shiny thing.

I can recommend Lanolin for preventing rust on gear in the first place, a quick spray and it does not seem to taste bad enough to put fish off the bite!

I was amazed just what I found in my old tackle box when I did clean it out
:o

steve_n
07-01-2005, 02:35 PM
About every twelve months I tip the whole thing out on the concrete, blast the box with the hose, dry in the sun, then pack any good stuff back in it. All the other crap gets swept up and chucked in the bin. Keeping all hooks etc in small amounts in separate containers cuts down on the rust. Like sheds, never found one big enough.
;D ;D ;D

baldyhead
07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
About once every 2 years I empty the contents onto the concrete floor and I always get a surprise with what I find. I then wipe out the box and trays and before I put (try) it all back I do a rough valuation, then get out the video camera and take some fotos of the contents on the ground then write my guestimation on a bit of paper ( & foto beside the open box) then try to get it all back into the box. Once thats done I take more fotos and then store them on a CD. I do the same for the missuses tackle box too. Last time I had well over $2k in mine alone.
The explicit fotos are for the Insurance company in case some miserable scumbag lowlife bastard decides that he or she wants it / them more than me or the missus.

damons33
07-01-2005, 03:08 PM
i emptied mine just before xmas and low n' behold i had half a 40lt esky full of diver lures. i have no rust issues as i spray them with inox every now and then. its more about having it in a tidy and organised state to work with and be sure that there is ample supply of everything i could possibly need out on the water.
sometimes you buy stuff you don't use, but at the time it seemed worthwhile. it doesn't pay to idle around in tackle shops.
damon

davo
07-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Since I went to the tackle box with the clear boxes inside I've noticed far less decay of the contents and I can mix and match. Mine is the brand that sounds like piano and the model is a 1233 and I suppose it's a box with a box.

ba229
07-01-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't use a tacklebox. I use a lunch box and change the things in it depending on what i am fishing and what for.

It is light and easy to pack.

It has caught me out sometimes cause I didn't have what i needed but it makes me be prepared for the trip :-)

DavidT
07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanx for the replies PPLS

Cheers,

David.

Needmorerum
07-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Best thing I have found for cleaning out nearly anything, is WD40, or even the cheaper 'water dispersant' you get from SuperCheap. Spray it in and wipe it out, takes everything with it.
As far as when, I do it when I am looking for something that I know is in there somewhere, or have a bright idea on how to make it more compact and fit it in the boat better. I use one of the box's that take the clear box's. This allows me to pack them in depending on whether I am going out in the tinny or the big boat.

Corry

adrian
09-01-2005, 04:18 AM
the best thing for cleaning out tackle boxes is a fishing trip to a snag filled creek or out to the reef with light gear ;D down side is this can get very exspenive

anzac

agnes_jack
09-01-2005, 05:50 AM
Anzac
Thats the only way my tackle box gets emptied!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D

irish
10-01-2005, 05:18 PM
mine only gets cleaned when i can not find what iam looking for

BASSCRACKER
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
CORRY YOU'D BETTER CLEAN OUT THE BOX AND GIVE IT A WIPE DOWN THE WD40 LEAVES A SMELL NO FISH WILL WANT TO BITE ON WITH THAT CONTAMINANT. MOST PEOPLE I KNOW KEEP THEIR BITS AND PIECES IN SMALLER RECEPTICLES SO AS TO AVOID RUST DAMAGE AND MIXING THE GOOD WITH THE BAD. LANOLIN BASED SPRAYS OR LUBRICANTS WORK BEST AND THE FISH DON'T MIND THE SMELL AS IT'S FROM SHEEP [ALL NATURAL]. THE OTHER THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY IS THE ANISEED SOAPS TO HEIGHTEN THE SCENT ON YOUR SQUIDGIES OR OTHER LURES AND TO REMOVE THE SMELL OF THAT WD40 TRUST ME I'VE BEEN THROUGH THE SAME THING AS YOU AND WATCHED MANY A LARGE FISH TURN THEIR NOSE UP AT MY LURES DUE TO WD40 AND EVEN SCATTER AFTER THEY CATCH A WHIFF OF IT.

seqfisho
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
If you do your tacklebox in the shower you're killing two birds with one stone ::) ::)

Jeez Thunderbird,

I have enough trouble explaining to the missus why I shower with my rods ::) ;D

seqfisho
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM

Jeez Thunderbird,

I have enough trouble explaining to the missus why I shower with my rods ::) ;D

seqfisho
03-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Bugga, dodgy mouse!

clearwater
06-02-2005, 08:07 AM
its a tackle box it gets a clean when the fishing is slow i mostly only fish out of boats and i would say that i dont like throwing shit away so i just end up with more and more till it gets to much and i have a big clean out witch is about once a year ...i only ever wipe out the box and use water

andy