PDA

View Full Version : Esky recommendations plse

03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
G'day guys,

Am in the market for a new esky for the boat and was after some advice. The humble old ice box has got rather advanced these days and i was wondering if the fiberglass types e.g. the evakool's and other top of the range eskies are worth the extra dollars when compared to the common traditional (igloo,willow etc) type eskies. Also how do the new polyurathane plastic type eskies compare to the eva's and the traditional type ones?

Any recommendtions would be greatly appreciated.

kleiny
03-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi 1337 i have an evacool 70 litre esky best thing i've ever bought it's one of the plastic ones tuff as & keeps the ice for 3-4 days, i'm thinking of buying a 120 litre one in about 6 months or so. all in all yes they are worth the extra money they can also be used as a seat without worrying about the lid. hope this helps
Tim

flattymattyb
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi 1337,

I have a 128l Ice Kool(poly eva kool) esky (flatty classic prize ;D) used it for the first time at crissie, unbelieveable, 5 bags of ice lasted 3 days and still ice in there topped it up with 2 more bags and another 2 days later only about half of those had melted.

Cheers
Matty

Custaro
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I have an Evakool 65L and they are great for keeping ice. I have had soft drink cans explode in it when using salt with the ice. However, they do crack and chip if you don't nurse them. I just got a IceKool (Poly) 120L and it keeps ice for a few days no probs. I haven't left ice in there for any longer.

Vic

nonibbles
03-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I have a tropical ice box 126L. #Holds ice for up to 5 days but takes a lot of ice to get it to do that. #2 days before chrissie I put in 4 x 10kg bags (crap hollow tube ice - read as melts fast) and on chrissie a I added 2 more just to keep the drinks covered. #It was stinkin hot outside and the ice was there for a few days. #Even once melted down to water it still kept the temperature right down. #So I'm pretty bloody happy with it. #Also as mentioned makes a great seat to watch the mack lines from and I only have to spike the fish and then straight on ice without cutting them down. #Lets me have more fishing time while the bite's hot.
Being poly it takes the knocks too and I'm not worried about chipping or scratching as some of my fibreglass owning friends are - you'd think those things were made of gold the way they pander over them.

Big_unit
04-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi mate,
Me and a mate, got 72 L and 105 L both Icey Tek poly, bought just before xmas both sat in the sun for 4 days at Inskip Point. Block ice in the bottom and party ice on top, kids and Missus' opened and closed them both a million times, block ice was hardly melted when they were tipped out. Got them in Gympie at a greatly reduced price - 72L was $186 & 105L was $245, we looked all over the coast and couldnt find cheaper anywhere. You dont have to worry about scratches and stuff, fibreglass eskies are known for cracking, chipping & etc, with your average mistreatment, poly will handle it. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Big unit

NQCairns
04-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Anyone come to the same conclusion as me? That servo ice only lasts as long as the freezer is cold. Gotta watch that! ;)
With my old esky it makes all the difference.

PS Just thinking does anyone know what temperature is twice as cold as 0deg #??? ...... # # # # # -100deg ??? ??? [smiley=wut.gif]

devocean
04-02-2005, 07:57 AM
92 litre Tropical ice esky long version. Great for mackeral and in the tinny. Holds ice five days if you dont open and close it a lot. Awesome esky cant complain, strong hinges. I would suggest not buying an iceytek have got mate with one that really did not hold up especially regarding hinges.

theone
04-02-2005, 09:23 AM
All i can suggest, is to when looking around, ask the salesperson about the quality of hinges. Usually, because it's the only moving part it will be the thing that breaks if anything does.

Cheers

seqfisho
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi 1337,

Ive got a 82 lt Icey Tek, mainly cause I won it in a raffle (best $5 I ever spent) but was looking around at the time for something to take in the boat and on the tray of the ute (40lt engle is a bit scared of water ::) ::)) so wasnt going to a glass unit,
for the money ;D ;D :P the icey tek works well is very robust and should last a considerable time.

I have seen so many different poly units around lately that I'd be buggered if I knew which one to chose or whether there is any difference i their performance, stick to something that others have reported as good and you cant go wrong.

Regards Glen.

Morlers
04-02-2005, 04:01 PM
PS Just thinking does anyone know what temperature is twice as cold as 0deg #??? ...... # # # # # -100deg ??? ??? #[smiley=wut.gif]

Aahhh! I give in NQ.

??? ???

Morlers

04-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks boys for all the replies.... poly is the go and will suffice.

Cheers

Custaro
05-02-2005, 07:51 AM
PS Just thinking does anyone know what temperature is twice as cold as 0deg #??? ...... # # # # # -100deg ??? ??? #[smiley=wut.gif]

One of the few things I remember ??? from Uni.

Need to work in SI units (Kelvin) So assuming you mean 1/2 0degC is the same as twice as cold
0degC = 273.15degK
273.15degK/2 = 136.575degK
136.575degK = -136.575degC

0degK/-273.15degC, is the coldest you can possibly get in this universe.

Vic

seqfisho
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Hey Vic,

Is that some sort of secret weather report ??? ??? ???

Glen

NQCairns
05-02-2005, 12:05 PM
-136.575degC

Thanks Vic, #I knew it ::) Thats how cold my 12 year old Igloo is after a 2 day fishing trip with only one block of ice :-* :D ;D

Y-Not
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
We have a 50L and a 105L tropical. Have had them for over 12 months and they are super tough and the ice lasts and lasts.............. We have a cushion fitted to the top of the big one, makes a great seat ::)

whynott
05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi 1337,
I got a coleman extreme plastic esky {says keeps ice for 5 days} 2 yrs ago and after about 6 camping trips, the lid started to bow.
I took it back and exchanged it (and paid a bit more too) for a evercool fiberglass 65ltr.
Top investment.
It will keep a 4 day block of dry ice for about 9 days. What more would you want. Sensational for camping. Block ice made at home in the old ice cream containers will keep for a few days also.
I was so happy with the evercool that I also now have a 50 ltr as well and it cops a lot of use.
There is a big choice out there.
Good luck.
Graham. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

adamleah
06-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Ive got a 95 litre plastic Coopers brand , Same as tropical got it for $140 on special at a large camp shop ....

Wouldnt buy a fibreglass esky , cause if you did what I did an hour ago the fibreglass esky would be in a million pieces on a main road .... :-X

I left Foxys house, heard a crunch and there sliding down the road was the plastic esky..... the damn rear hatch on the ute wasnt shut properly :o No fish splattered on road and esky is still like new .. ,,, so all is good ;D

Fin_Addict
06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
I've got a EVAKOOL 210ltr box....Great for our extended offshore trips in the tropics..It can handle a few big reds [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]..Also have the 85ltr Mackeral box which is awesome in the tinny...Ross