PDA

View Full Version : RED

blaze
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
If red is the first colour in the sprectum to be filtered out under water, why then isnt all terminal tackle like snapswivels red and not black or tooth hungry brass. Why do we put red as a prominant color in a skirts/lure. Why do we put red beads on as atractors
why, why, why,
cheers
blaze

Jeremy87
08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Ok time for a trip back to high school physics (luckily for me not too long ago). #The colour red is the lowest visible energy level of light, below that we have infa red light and heat frequencies. #I am lead to belive that under water (never been diving to see for myself) something that is red and opaque turns darks brown then eventually black. #This is where we use lines such as cungjan red and platypus pink etc. #Being translucent it only reflects red wavelength light and allows all other wavelengths of light to pass through it, #so at a depth where red light has been filtered out the line appears to be clear (no light to reflect off line) but up on the surface we can see our line. #Swivels however are not translucent so wavelengths of light that are not reflected are #absorbed. #If we were to be fishing at depth red swivels would just apear to be black anyway. #For this reason they are made from brass or coated black to prevent corrosion. #Though red is the first colur filtered out by water it does not mean it is not visible at all depths, in shallow water and on the surface it is still visible. #so when fishing in the shallows for whiting etc the fish still recognises the colour red and assumes it to still be a piece of worm (or thats the idea). # Hope this answers a few of those whys.
Jeremy

bungie
09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Fishing for whiting and bream I place a red bead above my hook

Fishin_Dan
09-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Jeremy's spot on. Red does "dissapear" first, but not until it gets down a little way.

devocean
09-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Next time you go to an aquarium shop have a look at the fluro tube packets for marine tanks and your question will be answered including the depths the colours disspaear in

clearwater
09-02-2005, 01:31 PM
the other reason we use black Swivels alot of the time instead of brass, witch i just will not touch is because when the light hits them and they shine all nice and bright fish like tuna,mack's,taylor and many others think its a bait fish and strike at it..and we all know what that means...i'm sure you already know this but for those that dont... dont learn the hard way as many of us have ...

andy

mini696
10-02-2005, 10:06 AM
We did an experiment once while learning to SCUBA dive. We took down a see-thru plastic board which was coloured like a rainbow. We also had a piece of ply painted the same.

When we got to certain depths, the see-thru board was loosing its colour, becoming almost transparent. However the ply board became darker and darker until it was a very dark blue.

Mick

bugman
12-02-2005, 04:48 AM
I've got a photo of a clownfish taken at a depth of around 30m.

Now we all know what colour clown fish are (thanks Nemo) so what do you think of this.