PDA

View Full Version : improving the abu

spinner
24-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Recently I was out in my boat and because I had slippery hands from handling bait, I dropped my 6500 c3 and the reel separated from the reel foot on impact with the floor of the boat.
Yes, the reel foot was still in the rod and the rest of the reel was on the floor. My fault. No one was more surprised than me. On inspection, I could see that the foot was only spot welded to the frame of the reel.
I suppose it would make these reels more expensive, but I think it would be better if the foot was riveted on.
While I`m on the subject, a one piece frame and an improved drag would be good too Mr ABU.
Having said that, my ABU reels have been very good to me for
over 20 years.
Reggy

nonibbles
24-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Improved drag is very cheap. Jack Erskin has a type called silky smooths but you'll find most tackle shops will have something of a similar style. I think I also saw somebody from Ausfish membership's website showing how to install a magnetic brake system into an abu. Just depends upon how handy you are I guess.

spinner
25-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi Nonibbles
Yes, I have an ABU that came standard with a mag brake, works very well too.
I guess that is the option you get, either pay more for a better reel in the first place or buy the cheaper model and add all the accessories as you can afford them.
It would be great to be able to buy a unitised frame with riveted reel foot after market,... maybe one day.
Reggy