PDA

View Full Version : line weight deterioration

Burley_Boy
28-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Having been picked up on a wrong reading on my scales in the fishing report section, I proceeded to test my scales. Now fair enough they are not exactly a scientific set of scales so I've had to both amend my trust in them and adjust my reading technique ::) but an interesting point was raised when I started testing line breaking strain.
How much does a line deteriorate after some runs?
I have a mono 9.4kg Penn Superline on my TSS4 and have had a few good runs on that rig but we're only talking about 15 odd fish that have had some pull. Testing the line after pulling off a few metres found the line breaking at about 7kg consistently. ???

agnes_jack
28-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey burley boy!
Is your line breaking at the knot at 7kg
or in the middle?

Regards, Tony

Burley_Boy
28-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Seemed to be in the middle, I did it a few times to see if it was the knot,
I'll go and double check.

Burley_Boy
28-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Ok now I've practiced the bimini twist just to ensure it never breaks at the knot and I'm pulling against the drag on the rod without going through the rollers and it consistently breaks at about 7kg ???

agnes_jack
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Sounds like the line has deteriorated somewhat.
Has the line spent a lot of time in the sun? Storage in a dark place is the way to go.
Sunlight and even fluro lights can degrade the line fairly quick.
Although its a hassle, it may pay to run the line off the reeland reverse it.
Run your tests again and see what happens. The other thing is the age of the line.
I change mine at about 12 month intervals, regardless of the amount of use.

Regards, Tony

Burley_Boy
02-03-2005, 02:12 PM
This reel has been out about 6x and is about 3 months old :(

Jeremy87
02-03-2005, 02:25 PM
At least its breaking consistantly. I'll take my hat off to anyone who can hold 7 kilos.

agnes_jack
03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Burley boy
Sounds like you have copped an old or dodgey batch :-/ :-/
So long as you are sure of the accuracy of the scales.

Regards, Tony

Burley_Boy
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I checked it both with the scales, then 6,5Litres of water in a bucket a :o :o and then finally some smaller weightlifting weights, all the same consistent result, so you must be right and I've got a dud batch.

SeaHunt
04-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Water in the bucket is the go if you measure it accurately,I use it to set the drag on my TLD. I also have used it for testing knots and line. If you are gently applying the weight I would think you shoud get at least 20% over the nominated breaking strain, unless Penn Superline is pre-test of course. I use 10X and it always seems to go at least 20% over. Fireline more. :)