PDA

View Full Version : boat combo - shimano 4500B reel / rod ??

RobbieB
04-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I am buying a boat soon and am looking at some tackle.. It will be for PPB / WP waters & small offshore work..

I have decided on running Shimano BaitRunner B 4500B as reels, but not sure on what rods to combine with them.

I will be targeting snapper, small sharks, whiting etc.

What size fish will the 4500B's stop?

Whats a good price to pay for the 4500B's?

All advice would be appreciated!

basserman
04-03-2005, 01:06 PM
couldn't go too wrong with the ugly stiks for baitrunners ;D

RobbieB
04-03-2005, 04:58 PM
couldn't go too wrong with the ugly stiks for baitrunners ;D

any specific size / model to match nicely with the 4500B ?

basserman
05-03-2005, 01:31 PM
that will be more up to you as to what you want it for and what feels nicly balanced in your hands
but some where in the range of 6foot in the 5-10kg range i would think

Bashir
05-03-2005, 01:48 PM
I use 4500a baitrunners for snapper (although I haven't fished for them for a couple of years) Mine are matched to Super Barra blanks, they can be built up fairly cheap and are bloody brilliant rods. Otherwise ugly stiks or silstars are a good option. Even the penn powersticks as they go cheap at times, all these rods are fairly the same in regards to performance.

Fishinmishin
05-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Can find 6500 around at good prices lately to make way for their new 'Big baitrunner'. Good to keep your options open for those bigger fellas or can back as a good spinning outfit. ???

Cheech
05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Robbie,

I have a 4500b that is on a Shimano rod. Previously on an ugly stick. I really do not soo a lot of difference so either in your price range and if it feels good.

There is probably not a snapper in port philip bay that it would not stop I use mine in Morton Bay mostly. Though we do get more bigger kritters passing through than you will get. I agree with fishinmishin that if you are specifically buying for light offshore as well then the 6500 may be an option. If you really only do bay stuff then the 4500 will be great. If you will do more out of places like western port then may want to beef up.

Around $210.00 is good up here. Don't know vic prices.

Cheech