PDA

View Full Version : krazyfisher & other Alvey 825BVC owners

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
mjc85
what do you mean alveys arent much fun on a decent fish? I have just started using a 825bvc on a 37kg rod and 80lb fireline. when you are using 30cm live baits and getting bricked on the reef that's fun ;D ;D
Out of 14 combo's I have 2 alveys one I have not used yet. but for the price and the way you can treat them nothing will match them. I am yet to have a reel under $200 last a year but I have a feeling the alvey will.
yes I am tuff on gear, but hey its all fun.

I am looking at buying one #- you need not convince me of the worth of alveys - the brand is set in stone. I had the unique opportunity of comparing spin, overhead & alvey over Xmas - Alvey knocked em dead.

I guess I'm after feedback on the new style. Being a traditional stainless steel back Alvey guy I lean toward the 7 (not 9 inch) with the fibreglass spool. The new one holds 100m less line but by that stage ...

Is the new style polymer rugged as the old stainless back fibreglass spool?
Any negatives ?
Is there any difference between the colours available ? (seems stupid but there can be in polymers)
What rod do you run ?

I am looking at running a 50lb trolling outfit close offshore reefs that will back up in winter for jew. Without going complete custon rod the closest to a reasonable 7ft rod with the style I want (a largish first runner & backboned for underneath reels) is only 12kg. ???

chris

banshee
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
G'day Chris,Alvey actualy left a new type backing plate in the shop some time back with the instruction to let customers try and damage it,this thing took all kinds of abuse including blokes smashing it into the footpath outside the shop,the stainless backing would have been destroyed with the same treatment.I bought my Alvey in '77 and if it dies I will not hesitate to go a new vented model.

dfox
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I grew up using alveys like many others and rate them as high and higher as any reel.
I know many fishermen are extremely fussy about there alveys and swear by different combinations of materials used. There are deffently certant parts of alveys that bennifate from the polymar materials, as it reduces wieght but retains strength.
I use overheads offshore but dad is (stoneage) not (spaceage) and swears by his alveys, and you cant argue with him because he does produce the goods with it.
In more resent times he's moved away from his older 9inch glass reels to the newer lighter and equally good polymar version. There was some early teething problems but these have been corrected.The drags are relatively basic and make for some excitment during a big battle. As for rods, dad uses a custom snyderglass rod. It suits him and allows him to fish long periods of time fighting alot of fish without tiring.

This is one of my all time favourite pictures, dad fighting a big red...

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
thanks for the replies gents

... The drags are relatively basic and make for some excitment during a big battle.

please explain ?

is the drag config. different to the usual star-drag setup?

& what a great pic - that's the yellow & the red - now onto the black heh?

krazyfisher
06-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Well what can I say I use a 37kg game rod 5'11 i think the rod is made for an overhead and runs well with 80lb fireline and 125lb leader I used it for reds , tiger sharks 14ft plus and something big that has spooled me once and busted me off over 10 times now same spot same bait the bvc is vented in the spool and backing plate so it is lighter you can really get so drag on it. I have tld 25's, team daiwa's, penn inter's and many others and have more respect for the alvey. I just got a 650bvc to use on trout and lipper have not used it yet but i think it will work well and I love how much easier it is to bring up a live bait and 12 ounce lead in 140ft of water. I have just converted a bloke from work who would never use anything but a handline he now loves his 650 bvc.

I think of the 825bvc as a gimble mounted deck winch ;D

if I can be of anymore help just let me know. hope this has helped

Hagar
07-03-2005, 05:49 AM
I reckon they are great . Most versatile reel on the boat . They need a small mod to the friction clip inside the reel in my humble opinion if you want to drop very light leads into deep water .
Chris

mackmauler
07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
chris, whats with a 50lb outfit close inshore! on the troll 8-10kg tackle as made by shimano at least adds some sport to the game!

the day that you tag more billes than jeffo with your alvey and 8 kg line ill agree with ya choice ;) leave the skull dragging to the amity pros.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-03-2005, 03:54 PM
bought the outfit today - thanks to for the feedback

Alvey 825BCV spooled with 500m of 45lb schneider

matched it to a wilson live fibre ZWS80J 15-24kg Spin rod.

I had been looking at USticks & Gary Howard rods, couldn't justify the cost of those spiffy looking silver Wilson thingos (??) but ended up settling on the Live fibre. I love the weight & contolled reacting power in ugly sticks but something about that Live Fibre seemed to match that reel - it felt right.

chris, whats with a 50lb outfit close inshore! on the troll 8-10kg tackle as made by shimano at least adds some sport to the game!

the day that you tag more billes than jeffo with your alvey and 8 kg line ill agree with ya choice ;) leave the skull dragging to the amity pros.

Rob,
I'm not having a go - you & jeffo have my every respect but maybe I am a different animal to Jeffo & ya self. The outfit is specifically for big macs & jew caught for a feed.

The words of one of SE Qlds best & most experienced jew men are burnt in my head, its the way I fish ...

" ... & more important to allow the fish to be landed & killed as quickly as possible, there is no sport attached to putting fish through needless hours of torture fighting on light line if it can be caught & killed in minutes on a heavier gauge line. No more skill is involved as, provided the line is matched to the rod it is impossible to break regardless what breaking strain it is, if anything it is easier to land fish on light lines simply beacause they are completey exhausted by the time they are brought in close. That is assuming the fisherman knows what he or she is doing, there is absolutley no point in catching & releasing fish it is a excercise in futility & needless cruelty that puts a fish through terror & agony for no other purpose except to gratify the ego of the person on the end of the rodby demonstrating their supposed superiority over a dumb animal."

n.b. quoted from perhaps the greatest guide to jew beach fishing I have every read - typed by the man himself.

I rate my ability by efficency. I love the ocean, but if I can bag out, not damage any juvenile fish & be back at the ramp in 2hrs then thats a good days fishing. I have also had demonstrated often enough to be convinced that light line doesn't increase the rate of hookup for big predators - presentation does.

ps - close offshore reefs #chasing 20kg - 40kg blues at easter is the plan & 20kg jew in winter

mackmauler
07-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Chris, I see where your coming from, and yes I have a different view.

That quote sounds like the 70s guide to meat fishing, leading the resistance to catch and release ::) the equipment is good enough these days we can land marlin in minutes on 8 kg line, that first spaniard for ben only took 15min on 10kg, be waiting a long time to hook a bigger one that that here.

I must admit my view has changed somewhat over recent years since I mainly just chase marlin purely for sport.

your rod is going to show the straddy pros up though ;)

rob

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-03-2005, 06:21 AM
the rod is a sexy stick

its 8ft with the first 2 to 3ft very similar to my bay spin rods that I run the TSS4 on.
The real grunt is in the bottom half & it has the stronger reel seats of course. The finish is excellent. Wilson have improved their product remarkably in recent years.

Just gotta catch some fish now ...