PDA

View Full Version : Seamartin reels

ShaneJ
28-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Does anyone here own a Seamartin reel or has anyone used them?
I have a few Mark II's which we used to use for Mackerel a few years ago. I reckon they are a fantastic reel with a smooth drag and plenty of guts to pull in a dead whale.
Whats everyone elses opinion?

Adeben
01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a Seamartin in my shed that I 'retired' many years ago: It was awkward to use, heavy, and twisted line as if that is what it was designed to do. Obviously I don't share your high opinion of them, but, equally obviously, neither did many other people, because they seemed to go out of production fairly quickly.

littlejim
02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
one of my mates has one which he used for years on the rocks and was happy with. never had to replace the line roller bearing!
Had less line twist than I got with the Alvey, anyway the answer to line twist is ball bearing swivels.

Soon after he got it, one of the fishing magazines did an article on the Seamartin. My memory is now pretty scrappy but I think it said that the inventor was an Aussie, think from SA. Made them out of wood by hand. After he died the family sold the patent/business to an outfit that dropped the quality and spoiled the name.
Later a more reputable firm took it over and there was a bit of a revival in sales in the 80s(??).
They are built to last and the way they lay the line on to the reel is unique and less likely to cause birdies than some other reels. Suspect there are still quite a few pulling sambos and tailor and such on to the rocks.

ShaneJ
02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes the way the line goes onto the spool is pure magic, pitty other manufactures dont follow the trend.