PDA

View Full Version : EVAKOOL FRIBREGLASS MACKEREL BOX/ESKY

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 11:06 AM
G'day fellas,
Well, I am writing this post with a great deal of excitement. #:o ::)
After a few trips up to 1770 chasing the toothy critters, it didn't take long before I realised I desperately needed a decent esky/mack box, atleast 1.2m in length.
Finding one suitable proved to be harder than expected ... without forking out $600+ that is.
I made up my mind that I wanted fibreglass rather than poly and so the search commenced.
Was very keen on Al's esky that was advertised on the site not long ago (swap/sell section) but distance and transport logistics made things too hard.
Anyway, to cut to the chase. I found the EXACT esky that I was after on the evakool website only to discover that it had been discontinued. #:( :'(
I was encouraged by my local tackle store to visit the Evacool factory at Caloundra and have a chat to the guys there, apparently they're very helpful. That proved to be the understatement of the year!!! #:D
They showed me around, listened to my needs and went about getting me the bext possible deal. IF ONLY half of the retailers out there dedicated that much time and effort to customers. #:-/
I opted to save some serious $$$ and purchased one of their 'factory seconds'. It had a cracked/broken lid and was been fixed when I was there. I ended up with a customised esky, extra handles, bung holes, no hinges and all that for $329 instead of the RRP of $634. #:o :o Needless to say I am stoked!!! Comes with a 5 year warranty and is 100% what I was after for a price that I was expecting to pay for a 2nd hand one.
I'd encourage anyone to drop in and see Jorge or Allan at Evakool/Baileys at Caloundra. You won't regret it I'm sure. #:)
Happy Herby
p.s. have attached a pic of my icebox ... may it be overflowing with fish this summer!!! lol
Dimensions - 210Litres/1280L/525W/470H (B210)
#

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
29-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Great to see some friendly and satisfying customer relations in the year 2005. Unfortunately a lot of that is being forgotten, but it certainly sticks out like dog's proverbials when we as shoppers, come across it. Respect for an individual is sadly fading, but it won't ever be phased out when we all contribute and show our truer friendly side to general and fellow Australians. Nothing stands greater than good manners, being polite, and acknowledging someone's presence! A short friendly chat never goes astray. Being open minded carries a long way, and we as Aussies should never forget to accept that everybody is different, and that deep inside, we are still a happy country that can still dictate the proper use of comforting mannerisms, whether we are best of mates or strangers at least! I for one will never forget to respect fellow people, and I certainly won't stop the use of gestures and words like, hello, please, thankyou, and have a good day............even when I get a few strange looks when doing it!
We have a marvellous country, and I won't let the de-generation continue as long as I have a strong foot hold on this earth. I encourage all others to do the same.
Smiles go for miles!
Johnny M
ps. i have a mac box, 1.6m by .60 by .60. Great box, you could sleep in it if you wanted to. Tip to tip, 30 to 35 kg fish just fit inside comfortably. Mackerel need to be iced down whilst the fish lays as flat as possible, dead straight is best for maximum fillet quality. Macs are yumm if looked after correctly. Sea water, ice slurries work best for optimum quality fish.
Ice the fish down asap, ike jimme,(brain spiking) helps prolong the life and the quality of the fillet.
Johnny M
Lake Awoonga

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Well said Johnny ... I couldn't agree more with your comments.
Some good tips there as well re: keeping large fish fresh and getting the most out of your catch. I have a brain spike but generally just dong the old mack with a short sharp blow between the eyes. Maybe I should give them a bit of japanese loving as well. :o ;)

Cheers,
Herby
p.s. Great Spaniard btw mate. :o :o

Willo
29-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Johhny
JUst after a bit of info on brain spikeing . That drop of blood behind the eye is that were you brain spike the Blues

isaac
29-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Herby, I got the same esky, (but a baileys version) 2nd hand, out of the trading post last week for $280 and thought I got a good deal. ;D $329 with a warranty is tops mate, gotta be happy with that. I have a mate looking for one so I'll tell him about it cheers.

My old man only fishes for spanish (cause he's a shite reef fisherman, and I tell him that ;D ;D) in fnq and has the same box aswell, its about 12 year old now and still as good as new thermally, although slightly worse for wear. One thing he did (and I will be too) is buy some plastic angle and stuck it around the base to prevent chipping the edges.

Have to agree with johnny about lying them flat on ice to improve fillet quality, we have just finished off some that was caught in june and it was still tops. cheers isaac

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Isaac,

I hear ya mate. I've been looking for ages for a 2nd hand one in good nick at a decent price and have really struggled. I was on the verge of biting the bullet but even then had troubles getting exactly what I was after so this whole scenario has worked out perfectly (for once).
Very happy with the price for what effectively is a custom made esky with a 5 year warranty. Btw - Evakool used to be Baileys. Changed their name several years ago but the designs and moulds are still the same.
Get your mate to go see them at the factory ... he may have to wait for a factory-second mackerel box. I think I got the last one, but doubt they get the occasionally/semi-regularly.
Your Baileys esky and my Evakool are practically identical ;) Nice pick up for $280 imho.
Cheers,
Herby

p.s. Johnny, I'd be interested about what Willo was asking as well. Have seen it done once but could use a refresher lesson. Do you also know how to remove the spine/backbone on tuna (like the japanese do when capturing/preparing tuna for sashimi grade)???

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Willo,
found this site which I thought was very informative and interesting.

http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/pdfs/factsheets/handling_offshorecatch.pdf

"Brain Spiking – Spiking, immediately after stunning, is an option that destroys the fish’s brain. (This is a required procedure for production of commercial, sashimi grade tuna). Spiking can significantly reduce the rate of early chemical decomposition in the muscle.
Before spiking a fish, make sure that you are well balanced and have a firm grip on the fish. Place the tip of the spiking tool (I prefer a ground-down philips screwdriver, but an ice pick will also work) on the soft spot of the fish’s head above the eyes. Push the spike at a 30 degree angle into the skull, and move from side to side to destroy the brain. Successful spiking will cause the fish to shudder, muscles to flex, and then go limp in a couple of seconds. This may require some practice, and may not be possible under all conditions. Above all, be careful not to injure yourself or fellow anglers!"

See the website link above for graphics/diagrams and more info on how to handle you offshore catch.

Regards,
Herby

Hookem_Herby
29-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Ok, I know .... going too far now!!! :o :-/
But I'm obsessed ;D :P

"Another iki-jime method is to open a hole to the spinal cord of the fish and pass a stiff nylon fibre down the cord."

Anyone got pics or diagrams of how this is done. I saw it done on a DVD once on big yellowfin tuna. From memory it stops the fish from 'cooking' itself after death and prevents the meat from going mushy. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,
Herby

revs57
30-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Good info guys...thanX

rhys

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
30-11-2005, 09:00 AM
the brain spiking method is slightly different on various species. i bought a $7 hand held tool which was used and inserted slightly behind and just above the eye of a spanish and pushed in almost squarely (to a fish laying on it's side), slightly downward if anything. The whole mackerel body quivers and the fish's mouth opens and shuts erratically , and the eye twitches, and also the body of the fish can go pale upon spiking. The tool was forced in, not just pushed. Slight muscle power, or gentle force helped to insert the tool that was slightly bigger than about 1/4 inch in diameter and about 5 inches long. About 2 to 4 inches of length was needed depending on the fishes size. most fish spiked were between 10 and 30 kg.

i haven't used the nylon technique on tuna, but i have seen on home movie, and been described to, how a small section is cut on the back of a tuna's head and this allows direct entry to the spinal column that runs from head to tail. After the incision, a heavy duty nylon, possibly 800/1000 lb(just a guess) is inserted into the incision and pushed the entire length of the spinal column. This instantly stops all muscle movement and i am sure it was used to immobilise the fish, and to stop the bruising of the tuna's flesh. All fish were operated on whilst laying on a matress on the deck. Most fish were shot with a .22 rifle before brought on board. I am not sure if this is a modern day practice.
Regards,
Johnny M

roz
30-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Do they take Moray eels Herby? Sorry mate I couldn't help myself, I will leave it out of the report.....I won't tell anybody you caught one trolling.

Luv Weiler

Volvo
30-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Nice Fish there johny m..
On my rig i have quite solid targa with a rope n loop at the end(hanging of it) which i wrap around the mackerals tail after caught.
Slit its neck and hang over the side to bleed and also at the same time get rid of its gizzards n scrape the backbone :)..
If done emediately after being caught and packed on ice your fish is Loukoumi to eat..
Flesh perfectly white or clear without any trace of blood etc..
When i get my round tuit back i shall take a Piccie of the perfect spike to make oneself if your into spiking your fish..

Herb, would you have a number for evacool??
Cheers

Hookem_Herby
30-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Pete,
I'll send you a PM tonite with the phone number and address details. They are on the invoice which is at home. :P
Post that pic mate, would be keen to learn more and start using brain spiking on pelagics especially.

Johnny,
Very helpful info. Thanks for sharing!!!

Roz,
What can I say but look at the scoreboard and come over and check out my pool room .... trophies galore! None of which were won for catching moray eels or long toms for that matter. :P :P ::) :-*

Cheers,
Herby

Volvo
01-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Hereyago Herb:).

Volvo
01-12-2005, 07:55 PM
And the canopy flap i had mentioned:)..
Might have ta zoom in a wee bit.

Hookem_Herby
05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks Pete.
Here are the details for Evakool. Sorry it took a while, was on Hamilton Island for a few days!!! ;D ;D :)
Evakool ph: 07 54927777 fax: 07 54927733 email: sales@evakool.com website: www.evakool.com
Mate, these guys are very helpful. Ask for Jorge or Allan - they were terrific and I'm sure will look after you.
Cheers for the pics ... think I have found a cheap and easy solution for my water problems (only time will tell).

Regards,
Herby

theoldlegend
05-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Herby,

Only read this thread today.

Was going to make a snide comment that it would be good to keep moray eels in, only to discover that a competitor of yours made a similar comment 5 days ago. Sorry about that.

TOL