PDA

View Full Version : Another Wahoo Leader query

scroman
03-12-2005, 12:52 PM
G'day folks,
Wanting to tow some laser pro 160DD lures for wahoo - do you beleive there are any advantages in using wire or do people prefer mono leaders, if so what strength.
Part two of this query is do you beleive there to be any advantage in attaching this leader via a loop knot or is it better to stick to a split ring on the hitching point :-?
What do people consider to be an adequate leader length also :-?
Our wahoo to date have been by catch from float lines in a berley trail - 30lb braid, 5olb mono leader with ganged pillies or livies - havn't seemed to have any bite offs thus far - having said that the ones we have caught have not been all that big - 6-8kg.
Any advice as usual will be received with gratitude ;)
Many thanks - good safe fishing to you all over the weekend ;D ;D
Troy

AaronF
04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Troy

Must be hungry Wahoo to be eating stinking old pillies. 160's are Ok but you'll do better with 190 DD lures for these fish. There will be endless arguments about using wire v mono leader but the basics are "whatever works for you" 150lb Jinkai is a good start with a good quality snap swivel giving you a bigger gap between the teeth and you leader. Piano wore also works but most find the bite rate reduces when you add wire, you will keep mosty that bite but is there more fun in increased hookups - your choice? They fight better if caught on lures and it's good for the newbie crowd as you are always moving recucing the burley trail for first timers. Use twice the length of 150lb Jinkai of the fish you are chasing - so about 3-4M and tie it to a double on the main or if you are not up to that then just the main via a good ball bearing swivel.

Have fun - they sure taste good those Hoo.

bj
07-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Troy, I just love trolling for Hoo etc. As Aaron said I like the Laser Pros, I prefer the Laser Pro 190 also or the 190 Laser Pro Crazy Deep. My rig consists of about 30cm of 49 strand wire crimped to a Hawaiian Snap, about two metres of a good flurocarbon leader crimped to a quality ball bearing swivel then attached to line, trolled at about 12k. All the best.

scroman
07-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Aaron and BJ - thanks for the feedback ;) Very keen to give your advice a go - thanks for taking the time
Good fishing to you both
Troy

Billo
07-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I HATE loosing good lures .....

I run an 80lb wind on leader with snap swivel at the end , which i clip directly onto a 30cm run of 49 strand and through an o rung onto the lure

if you leave too long a trace , you will find they will hit the swivel also , so SHORT leaders are the go

finding_time
07-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Just a foot note to what Billo had to say if you are using skirts, Half way up your wire leader add a second crimp this will stop the skirt traveling up the leader once the wahoo has struck and taken off with the rig in his gob. The problem with this happening is that the skirt travels up to where the wire meets leader and often another wahoo will see the skirt being trolled along by the first wahoo and strike at it and cut the leader releasing both the first wahoo and you skirt and rig. >:( The crimp atleast will stop the skirt so if another wahoo hits it can only hit on wire. :D

Ian

Ps. when ever i get a new hexhead i always place a crimp half way up the wire leader before it is used. ;)

AaronF
08-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Good tip Ian, can get pretty expensive losing your favourites. For whatever reason I've caught more of them on harbodies than skirts (both pakula at lower speeds and hex heads at higher). My wallet dictaed that I revert back to the 6 - 7 knots to save my fuel bill and we found that with the right lure spread did just as well.