PDA

View Full Version : Soft plastics for whitiing

Knackers
10-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi all,
Has anyone had any regular success using soft plastics to target whiting. I would be very interested to know the type of soft plastic and the technique you use. I can't see why they could not be caught on the smaller SP's but would assume that as they are often tentative pickers it would need to have a built in scent and be fairly soft. Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.
Knackers

raefpud
10-12-2005, 12:01 PM
try something very small , small craw or shrimp pattern plastics work well - i used to dip a 1inch single tail grup in orange "spike it" dip n glow and that worked on whiting in the canals on sunnny coast- u can buy tiny little craw/crayfish about 1 inch long at most tackle shops.

clutter
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't say 'regular' but I have caught them on the good old 3" Bass Minnow. If I was going to target them I'd be using a 1.5-2" grub in a colour that looked like a worm eg motor oil/red flake or bloodworm or something that looked similar to a jelly prawn, yellowy and clear in other words. You may like to have a go at the Berkley sandworm as well, they are 6" but you can bust them up into smaller bits. Using the smallest Nitro Torpedo probably wouldn't hurt your chances either.

Cheers, Clutter

budge
10-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I have had limited success with 2" gene larew single tails drifting over sand banks but normally this has only accounted for some larger whiting aswell as bream and flathead. I woudnt mind trying out the river to sea yabbies in a natural colour tho they look very promising and they also come prerigged which helps ensure they will swin correctly.

Knackers
15-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Many thanks Raefpud, Clutter and Budge.Your advice has confirmed my thoughts on what should work especially the shrimp and worm.
I'll post any results after a few experimental trips.
Knackers

efc
15-12-2005, 10:53 AM
can you use the berkley sandworm much the same as a normal bait (Rig it with a long-shank hook and have a running ball sinker)???

That way you could just slowly retrive the bait over the sand flats.
Or do the fish respond best when the sand worm is used un-weighted with a worm-hook?

sf17fisherman
15-12-2005, 11:04 AM
one that has produced the most whitting for me is the 2" berkly gulp in punkinseed ;)

work the lures pretty much like you would for a flathead but make the flicks a little softer ;)

Far_Canal
15-12-2005, 01:48 PM
i caught a whiting about 13cm on a lively lure the other day while i was trolling for flatties. 8-)

masterdusky
15-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Ive used berkley sandworms and the turtle backs also...sometimes u may want ot rig them texas style or even cut them down..I find it depends on the size of the fish.....the only thing I have trouble with is hookups,strieks are quite easy to draw once u locate the fish..but hookups are quite hard to hold onto IMO..I usually prefer to find fish feeding up in the shallows and basically site cast to them..give it a go...and improvise with those SP,s :D

Captian_Zero
15-12-2005, 09:10 PM
I have only ever caught one whiting on an soft plastic; a 25cm whiting on a 65mm squidgy wriggler (silver fox colour).

Regards

Chris

NeMo84
16-12-2005, 09:47 AM
i reckon the berkley 1" power nymph could be worth a go.

craftycarp
16-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I have had reasonably regular success with whiting with something you can't buy from a shop. My wife platted some red wool into a long strip off a small jig head and then I tied the tiniest red trebble I could find on the end. Using these I can catch plenty of whiting only problem is the baby flathead are all over it. I catch about 5 baby flatty to every whiting. I guess in the end it looks like a sandworm of sorts. Every whiting I have caught has been on the treble, the jig heads own hook has never had a hook up. I have also experitmented with tiny stinger hooks on the end but the trebles work better.. Not sure why. I have tried other colours and have even tried things like 2 red peices of wool platted with one white etc. However red is best and reddy browns are not bad either. They end up costing you about 50cents a peice and last for ages. Give em a shot.