PDA

View Full Version : what gear do i need for awoonga

mariner_22
18-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey guys

i am heading up to awoonga for a week in the new year and was wondering what sort of lures i will need and what poundage of line would best suit the conditions thank you for your help

from mariner 22

Jeremy
19-12-2005, 07:54 AM
if you look back through a few pages on the freshwater chat board you will find heaps of posts from other people asking the same thing. Maybe this should be added as a FAQ to that board?

Jeremy

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
19-12-2005, 12:43 PM
mariner_22,
in brief mate,
# 30 to 50 lb braid is fine, heavier is better. big fish are common!
# baitcasting reels or spin reels are fine!

LURES,
# a 10 footer will catch you barra by casting, day and night.

# a shallow lure for casting after dark is a great choice as barra are more active.
# 10 to 20 foot lures during the day is a better choice for casting as barra usually sit deeper during daylight.
# trolling open water using anything from a 5 footer to a 20 footer will catch you a barra.
TYPES OF SUCCESSFUL LURES INCLUDE-
Reidy's b52's, mars kingdom, halco scorpions, barra classics, mann's 20 plus, storm thundersticks, Predatek Vipers etc etc. you don't need 50 lures, 3 or 4 different styles is usually enough!

Just take your time and fish thoroughly, slowly and effectively.
The fish are available 24 hrs a day.
Twilight sees a burst of activity, night time sees more active and moving fish which means they are on 'the hunt'!
Go the shallow lure at night! 70 odd cm barra are common, and they are the small ones, 100cm and bigger barra are common also. Expect anything to jump on your line!
80 lb mono leaders are essential!
Handle the barra carefully and minimise time out of water for a healthy release. 2 mins is a long time!

Johnny M
Lake Awoonga Guided Barra Fishing Charters

##Girls can do it too!!

mariner_22
19-12-2005, 09:04 PM
thanks johnny M

that was exactly the info that i needed now i can gear up and go try my luck