PDA

View Full Version : Deep Water Release Weight

Sportfish_5
30-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Anyone got or used one of these ?

Sportfish_5
30-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Wonder what the fish mortality rate after release by using them?

banshee
30-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I use something similar,it's a kilo sinker with a hook (barb ground off) tied on instead of cast into it,instead of a swivel I tie that off to a main line,normaly my deck winch,for the lowering.I'm going to have to get a stainless hook because normal ones get ugly real quick where they are ground.I think if the fishes eyes or the stomach are not distended the fish has an excellent chance of surviving,if the organs are,I have no idea.I've used it once on an AJ that could only manage to get about ten feet down before surfacing,normaly seriola self vent on the way up and power off after release so all that's needed is to spear them in.I suppose if the fish is undersize it can't hurt,for small Snapper etc I use a stainless hypo needle from the vet,the biggest one for horses cost about two dollars.

isaac
30-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I used them on a charter a couple of years ago when we lived in WA. The bloke who invented it is on this website http://www.westernangler.com.au/forum/ , they did a fair bit of research about mortality rates etc a few years ago, they might be able to give you some hard data. cheers Isaac

slyham775
30-12-2005, 09:57 AM
i think they are for the plastic squid,s just get a cheap one with no weight and dress them and they can do the trick .....

Sportfish_5
30-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Ahhh OK ::)

Next please ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lundy
31-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Sportsfish,

DPI&F are currently undertaking a study into the survival rate of deepwater caught fish when released. 3 methods are being used 1- just a straight relase 2- air venting 3- shot weight release method.

With the increased size limits and smaller bag limits, it is thought on average that 66% of fish are released. So lets hope we can get the best method to maximise survival rate of these fish.

Cheers
Steve

Smithy
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes I have a couple and yes we have used them. Let a stack of tagged fish go in 118m through the winter. Will be interested in seeing if they are recaptured. None so far. ANSA are involved in this in conjuction with DPI. Mark Mclennan is the bloke in DPI to look up if you want one. Based on the WA design for Dhufish but is just a modified Snapper lead mould.

johnnytheone
03-01-2006, 09:36 AM
We've used 'em a few times, particularly on WA jewies. I believe they're having a bit of success with them in a jewie tagging programme. Fish that looked buggered have been sent back down and then re caught some time later, apparently with no ill effects. I have heard (urban myth?) of one fella thats been caught several times. I think that if you can bring up the demersals at a slower rate so the decompression isn't as violent you giving them a better chance. Mind you, we don't normally have an issue with sharks taking hooked fish over here, either, so there isn't the same urgency. I believe it's in the last 30 feet or so that most of the damage is done .

Wally
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
releasing fish suffering Barotrauma symptoms. the release weight is by far the best method.Its good that suntag/QDPI have investigated and are studying the survival rates of Demersal species in Queensland

anglers also need to be aware if ya have a under size demersal species on, to take ya time and not rip this thing up quick.I can kill a fish in 10m of water, but i can also improve the survival rate in 100m, just by taking it slow.

It all comes down to angler awareness and too ensure if ya going to put a fish back( have too) it has the best chance of surviving

Seen fish with no life. eyes bulging.stomach out of mouth.( yes it is its guts not the swim bladder,Don't pop this, you will kill the fish. Released on the release weight method and been recaptured 4 years later.

I will dig out some stats for ya,If you fish for bottom dwelling species and you give a toss and what you are going to leave ya kids.You would be a fool, not to have some sort of release weight on board.Even if it is home made.Remember tho if ya catch a big cod ya need a lot of weight.Something on the lines of a big down rigger ball.

Hope this helps, and if you want to maximize the survival of demersal species this concept is a must.Please Give a Sh&t your kids and theirs may thank you one day

Wally Parkin

Ps Not the inventor but a good mate of the fat man ;D