PDA

View Full Version : which rod do you suggest

Peterbo
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I have bought an Okuma Catalina 45L overhead reel for troll and bottom bash. I am yet to buy a rod for it and I am thinking of using braid for the first time as well. Does anyone have a moderately cheap option for a rod...and is anyone against using braid?

steve_n
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
The shimano backbone series are great but the penn powersticks are a pretty good value rod as well. Both have rods that will suit trolling or bottom bashing.
Braid is great for deep water but if you are going to troll as well i reckon stick with a good mono. eg penn 10x
Regards
Steve

Flounder
11-01-2006, 08:53 PM
If you can afford it Fireline is by far the best. My dad is using 20lb fireline on a reel of his and it's as strong as 50lb!.. Don't know why they call it 20lb. ::)

8-) -Flounder- 8-)

Peterbo
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I am looking everywhere for advice as I'll be buying in the next couple of days. #Anyone else with ideas as well. It's appreciated. Thanks.

PG
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd have to disagree with steve a little. Trolling with braid could be good also. The braid/fusion doesn't allow much stretch so surer hook-ups. Run a nylon leader like Penn 10X or Jinkai off the end of the braid/fusion line though to act as a shock absorber.
Each to their own though.
Don't know much about the gear for trolling. I have a Wilson Live Fibre XX7 that I use for casting lures but find soft tip rods better for trolling.

StevenM
12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Check out the Penn Powersticks, have two of them and you can pick them up cheap between 60-80 bucks.

Cheers
Steven

Huggy_B
12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Heaps to choose from in the moderately priced budget!

Shimano Backbone
Striker
Ugly Stik plantinum
Silstar Crystal Blue powertip
Daiwa Turbo max
Penn Powerstick

Its a competitive field, so have fun choosing. Take your reel with you to the store and "test drive" the rods with the reel attached to see how the out-fit balances.

From all the best info I have been told the ideal is to troll with mono, bottom bash with braid, but if you are going to do both then probably braid is the most convienient way to go.

Personally I think Fireline is garbage in the heavier range and would recommend a "true" braid and not a gel spun like Fireline which is good up to about 6lb, but even then I reckon Platy super braid is a better option. Get something like Whiplash, Bionic etc and spool 350m or so as your overshot, with the backing a good quality mono (I prefer Trilene).

Fishin_Dan
12-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah I'd say Ugly Stik, Silstar Crystal Blue Tip, or Shimano Backbone...

brentasauros
12-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Backbone..or..powerstick..

Never..tried..fireline..above..3kg

but..it..works..fine..around..that..breaking..stra in.

Peterbo
12-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I am going to buy tomorrow. I will let you know.

Peterbo
14-01-2006, 01:58 AM
I ended up buying a 6 foot angler assassin rod with 50 pound Fyn braid. #Hope it works well. Feels great. Trying it out tomorrow. #Thanks again