PDA

View Full Version : Circle hooks

Leo_N.
12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1135052251/8#8

bignick
12-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I like them as they seen to have a really god hook-up rate and you don't have to hit the fish hard, just put a little bit of weight on , and you're on; and most of the hook-ups seem to be in the corner of the fish's mouth, which does make for easier release.

Cheers,
NICK.

backhoe
13-01-2006, 12:48 AM
USe wide gapes for bait fishing all the time. better hook up rate and usually they are hooked in the corner of the mouth so are easy to unhook. Only problem I have with them is sometimes the bait seems to lay a bit funny on the hook but they definitely work

dnej
13-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Many thanks all of you. Interesting point, my nephew was out with his wife, using circle hooks on Thursday evening. She got 5 snapper, he , zip. She is a non striker, so now we know why he didnt hook up, as he strikes. Many thanks
David

dnej
13-01-2006, 12:10 PM
OK, who has used them? What are the sizes like, by comparison, or do you use the same sizes, used previously ?.
Are they as good as promoted to be?

Charter people say release is easier, on the fish. True or false?
David

Rod_Bender
14-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I have been using circle hooks for a while now. Mainly offshore shoal fishing though. There is the true circle and half circle hooks produced by some brands. I use the 7/0 size and above and have hardly ever had a jump off. Yes they will mostly set themselves, but i find once there on, you have it until its boated... as per fishing....always and never are not certain!!!! Roddy. Check out ebay under "circle hooks" for some great bargains.