PDA

View Full Version : Swains Reef trip

Tin_Donkey
04-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Heading up there in Sept. Have a Shimano 6500b baitrunner and a TLD25. 6-10kg 6'6'' & 10-15kg 6' Ugly Stix. I have 25kg game line on the overhead but have yet to get line on the baitrunner. Some say braid and others say to stick with mono. Any suggestions on this and any other gear I should think about getting.

Huggy_B
04-01-2006, 03:44 PM
depends on what fishing you will be doing I guess?

trolling - mono

jiggin/bottom bashing - braid

Tin_Donkey
05-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Out on a mother ship plus 3 dory's for fishing the shallows

Leo_N.
05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Absolutely must have a 60-80lb handline. I think that you will lose too many fish bottom bouncing in the shallows with rods. All the pro's and anyone that I have ever fished with at the reef use handlines (at least in water <25m). Get a heap of 6/0 to 10/0 hooks and bean sinkers from size 4 to 8. If you haven't been reef fishing before you will most likely lose a fair bit of gear.

Some floats or baloons come in handy when you are baitfishing for pelagics and the current is slack. Otherwise I prefer to let the current keep pelagic baits in suspension. Keep a rod rigged for a live bait for a fusilier or small but legal sized hussar or stripey. They are great for mackeral. Have plenty of ganged hooks ready in the 5/0 to 8/0 range and wire traces for the tootheys.

As for the braid/mono debate, we can argue that until the cows come home, but I prefer braid.

adds31
06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
If you fish the shallow bombies in the dories you do come across some big sweeties etc and they do take some stopping. I would probably use 30lb or 50lb braid in the shallows with a lengthy mono leader cause of abbrasion on reef and mono in the deeper water. Not real sure how your uglystick will handle 25kg line though. I would be looking at something in the 15-24kg range and around the 7ft mark to get some leverage on those trout and reds.

Cheers Adds....

devocean
08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Buy a speargun man you dont know what you are missing out on more Aus records come from that part of the woods than any other place.

Volvo
09-01-2006, 08:37 AM
;)leo_N sez it near enough with the exception of "I prefer the Mono" ;D..
Cheers

brentasauros
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Buy a speargun man you dont know what you are missing out on more Aus records come from that part of the woods than any other place.

;)..now..that's..the..dope

Gbanger
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
what charter are you going on?

take a 50-80lb handline for dory work and something to stop the line cutting through your fingers..

id suggest taking a glove of some description, when i came back from the trip i went on my hands looked like they got caught in the insinkerator...

id go with braid for the baitrunner, 30lb minimum and use some mono trace to minimise shreddage...

Leo_N.
09-01-2006, 02:08 PM
[quote author=Gbanger link=1136351676/0#8 date=1136772583]

take a 50-80lb handline for dory work and something to stop the line cutting through your fingers..

id suggest taking a glove of some description, when i came back from the trip i went on my hands looked like they got caught in the insinkerator...
quote]

Sections of bike tube on the fingers is good for this (usually called finger stalls). Gloves tend to get pretty cut up.

Tin_Donkey
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the helpful ideas. I'm going on the Northern so I'm told. The group is now flying so taking sinkers might be a problem. Where would I head to for tackle ? What brand heavy mono should I look at getting . I have some 80lb Jinkai but would need to purchase more. How much line on a handline do you need ?

Volvo
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Bike tube or fingerstalls are definetly the go for handlining cut in aprox two inch lengths and diam to neatly fit both forefingers and ring finger of active hand..ie right or left handed :)...
Buy a 600/1200 meter spool of 70/80lb handline and spool up much as you can on either one or two spools..
I find it cheaper n better to buy 1200 meters straight up and end up with two spools at days end..
Tell us?? wher eyou heading out from??..Should be a halfe decent tackle store to get some lead from and check out if the rig your going on dont supply or have sinkers available??..
PS buy a good brand handline and one that lays flat and dont coil up like fencing wire causing you no end of head n heartache ey :)
Cheers

Gbanger
11-01-2006, 09:51 AM
the charter boat operators should be only too happy to point you in the right direction for getting lead when you are up there

firetruck
12-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Perfetly timed thread Donkey.

I'm heading out in a fortnight (gray Scout) and you guys have answered some of my questions. I'm taking a tld 20 with 50lb braid, abu 7000 with well unsure yet, maybe 20-30lb mono and a couple of 80lb handlines. Will definitely be getting some of those finger stalls that have been mentioned.

Volvo
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
firetruck, the 7000 will handle 30lb mono so long as you dont go too hard on the drag ey..
keep the sinkers small on the rod around the shallows if you do use them at all..
Cheers

Tin_Donkey
16-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey Firetruck, let me know how you got on.
Tin_Donkey ;)

roz
16-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Will agree with Leo_n, it's not the flashest way to fish, but very practical, but do get yourself some rubber guards for the fingers....tooooo late once you get a cut.

Gutterfish,

I think you summed that up well!

roz

bazzaman
16-01-2006, 05:37 PM
yep handlines and 50lb mono Cheap line as u ll lose heaps of it!! We fished mainly in dories until i decided to spear fish and boy do some big crays live around those bombies. Id be diving if i were you more often than fishn during the day. Caught my PB GT of 25 kilo on the last trip. Also take a few lures ( skirts for trolling) off the mothership in between moving! Have a good time!!

Shane