PDA

View Full Version : BAITRUNERS- OKUMA OR SHIMANO  

maxi
29-12-2005, 10:51 PM
I WENT INTO A SHOP THE OTHER DAY TO BUY A 650 SHIMANO BAITRUNNER AND GOT TALKED INTO BUYING A 65 OKUMA INTERCEPTOR BAITRUNNER INSTEAD. I WAS INFORMED THAT IT IS A BETTER REEL SO I SAID I WOULD GIVE IT A GO. IT COST ME $10 MORE THAN THE SHIMANO AND NOW I'M WONDERING IF I'VE MADE A MISTAKE AS I AM A BIG FAN OF SHIMANO. IF YOU CAN PASS ON SOME ADVICE, PLEASE DO.

CHEERS

GREG

Spaniard_King
29-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Go back and change it for the shimano,

Just my opinion as i have only herd storries of the okuma reels not living up to expectations.

got 3 6500 shimanos...cant fault em

Garry

maxi
29-12-2005, 11:05 PM
THANKS GARY, I MIGHT JUST DO THAT.

GREG

29-12-2005, 11:18 PM
IMO a total bowl of baloney. Hope you still have your receipt! Shimano baitrunners all the way. On yah for posting/asking.

count_baysea
30-12-2005, 02:46 AM
Go the shimano
Okumas are nice out of the box but the shimano internals will last longer. inmo

maxi
30-12-2005, 04:30 AM
Sorry about the capitals I was just in a lazy mood. Looks like I've been done up, I will take it back and change it over. Thanks heaps for your help.

caloundra
30-12-2005, 04:41 AM
GREG
I've got a okuma baitrunner it played up, and after 4 weeks it wasn't back from them so they gave me a brand new one and haven't had a problem since
on the other hand I sent a tld20 back to shimano 3 times for the same problem (6 weeks each time) and I still have the same problem :(

so the okuma servie department is great (also happy with the reel)

Daniel

Heath
30-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Shimano all the way.

Which shop did you get it?

mjc85
30-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Mate when you type in cap locks it means your yelling, so please turn cap locks off =)

As for the reel i would definately go the shimano, i have 2 6500 and have had them for ever and can't fault them, i've had one okuma and will never buy one again

banshee
31-12-2005, 10:26 AM
If he had pushed the Eclipse I would probably have agreed to a certain extent,they would not be as smooth to operate due to the stainless gears but I think they would probably be a stronger reel,I don't think I would have chosen any other Okuma baitrunner in the 65 size over the Shimano regardless of price.There's no doubt Okuma mean to make a name for themselves in the coming year and to their credit they are chasing new ideas like eliptical gearing instead of following the leader but unfortunately their new aggresive marketing stratergies may have have led an over zealous salesman convincing you into something you didn't want. I have to agree with Caloundra's comments regarding their service,Okumas are on parr with the more popular "better" reels as far as genuine warranty claims go and their service department is good to deal with.

Heath
31-12-2005, 10:26 AM
what is the issue with the TLD20?

caloundra
31-12-2005, 10:46 AM
heath
when in freespool if you turn the handle the line will still wind up slowly

or if you are floating baits and trying to let the current take the bait the line has some resistance when comming off the reel and you need to pull it off by hand.
after the third time, I rang them again and they said just send it back again at this stage I hadn't seen the reel for 4 1/2 months and was jack of their service and now I just put up with it..... :(

Daniel #

fishingnottake
31-12-2005, 04:41 PM
heath
when in freespool if you turn the handle the line will still wind up slowly

or if you are floating baits and trying to let the current take the bait the line has some resistance when comming off the reel and you need to pull it off by hand.
after the third time, I rang them again and they said just send it back again at this stage I hadn't seen the reel for 4 1/2 months and was jack of their service and now I just put up with it..... :(

Daniel #
you havn't got the resistance wound up too tight have you?

caloundra
31-12-2005, 06:06 PM
fishingnottaken
No, its set with little drag
I'm sure shimano checked that also
they have replaced drag washers and bearing and given it a full service

Spaniard_King
01-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Daniel,

That TLD20 sounds weird, That shouldn't be to hard to figure out.. If it's a recent model tell em to honour their warranty and replace it (10 year warranty)

You may need to send a letter stating you have sent it back?? times and are fed up with it

cheers

Garry

Big_Ren
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Have had 2 baitrunners (3500) and the Big BTR Long Cast and both have performed like trained seals...brilliantly. Can't fault either.

Big_Ren
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry, meant Shimano 3500 and BTR L/C.

bushbeachboy
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Got a mate with an Okuma and another with a Shimano. They both love em. Haven't got one myself.

Rod_Bender
15-01-2006, 07:24 PM
the only reel i'd choose over a Shimano is the new Daiwa Luna's....otherwise i'd go a shimmy every time!!!! 10 year warranty.....hard to overlook that.

ancienttinnie
15-01-2006, 08:02 PM
If you are mechanically minded try cleaning the inside of the pinion gear on your tld with a bit of very fine wet and dry, often there are burrs on the inside at each end that are enough to grab the shaft and cause some mayhem. Also clean the pinion gear properly and relubricate when you reinstall. Also check the grooves between the teeth in the pinion gear and the pressure plate in the drag and make sure they are clear and smooth. This may help.

Kendall249
15-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Shimano

grave41
18-01-2006, 12:04 AM
okuma eclipse anyday. i know of a pro using 4 -90s and wont use shimano again . I use the 60 with modified drag by mate pulling genuine 13kgs of drag. There all stainless inside as well. But i still like my shimano 1500 and 2500 bait runners. My opinion only Graham