PDA

View Full Version : Rod for Capricorn 4000?

GCBrett
17-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi there,

after any advice on a rod to match to a Capricorn 4000.

Mainly for bay snapper, macks, jewies etc, but take the occassional trip to NT/Kimberley and would like to take this as a backup for the Calcutta, so if anyone can suggest a rod that would handle barra as well??? Does such a thing exist? Looking at spending under $200. Live Fibres seem a bit stiff? Would the Raider Snapper handle the barra? Seems a bit too long?

Any suggestions welcome,

Cheers,
Brett

slyham775
17-01-2006, 08:59 PM
4-6kg ugly stick i would say so for your budget....... but i use g-loomis or gary howard they are light and nice .....ahh they will be over yr budget ;) .... calcutta is a over head rod so i guess you need two rod .... my idea is a light rod so you can cast lure all day long for week,s..... sorry have not seen the raider yet ..... hey welcome new to ausfish chat room .....mick

GCBrett
17-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks Mick. Already have a rod for the Calcutta, so no worries there. Just looking for the spinning rod. Don't know if the powers-that-be will see the value of a Loomis!!!

The Shimano Snapper Raider is a 7'6" 5-8kg rod. Just a bit cautious on a rod of that length. My mates up north never fish with anything over 6' to 6'6", but maybe graphite technology's getting better???

Huggy_B
17-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Diawa Procaster Z - under $200, alconite guides, cork handles, nice light IM8 graphite but they have a heavier stick (6-8kg) @ 6' that can show a bit of grunt when needed. My mate used it to pull up a 7kg pinkie on a boat in 20m of water so its not a princess stick....

Jeremy87
17-01-2006, 10:05 PM
daiwa does an excellent snapper rod that i can't remember the name of. 7ft composite blank with oversized alconite guides. Comes in a 12-20lb and 15-30lb line class. Very light yet strong with a nice soft tip for flicking slugs or picking up timid bites. Its about 170 bucks at work. It has a blue double diamond wrap and binding. Also some of the cheaper gary howard rods are about 160-170 but i like that daiwa much better.

slyham775
18-01-2006, 07:47 AM
ohh yea i never thought of a daiwa rod oh yea i forget about the daiwa...grin yea they are good too so it would be good for your budget.... not worry about the loomis go for daiwa ...

count_baysea
18-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Try a samurai rbc 008 6-8 (10)kg blank. Light as, mod/fast tapper. Snapp/dew/mack/tuna. 7ft. Builders are cutting them down also as b/casters for barra. Cast all day, tough as.
cya

GCBrett
18-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Soooo....am I wasting my time looking for something that I can cast slugs at macks all day with and will still have enough grunt to drag a good barra away from a snag, too?

Jeremy87
19-01-2006, 11:08 AM
pretty much. a heavy baitcaster and a slugging rod are two completely different outfits designed with two different fishing styles in mind. You'll never be abable to cast a spin rod accurately enough to fish snags.