PDA

View Full Version : abu 7000 lever drag

spinner
22-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Does anyone out there own an ABU 7000 LEVER DRAG and what do you think of it? is the drag consistent?

cheers
Reggy

revs57
22-01-2006, 09:15 AM
G'day Reggie...I have an ABU 7000 Syncro...the handle winds backward to take the drag off, when you begin to work on a fish it takes up the drag functioning like a lever drag...Its not bad...I've found the drag on that particular reel a bit jerky though but I use it for floatling on reefies, snapper and such mostly...I find that the syncro function enables me to easly pull out a few metres of line and set it in place without the disengage, engage thing, cant say the jerky darg has ever caused a problem...its just not smooth like the other ABU, penns and shimanos I have

cheers

Rhys

Rod_Bender
22-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah i've got the abu lever drag reel. I like it! What are you using it for? Rivers or reef?

spinner
22-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Rhys
Haven`t seen a syncro yet....interesting! Thanks for the reply
Reggy

Rod Bender
Don`t have one yet. Doing my homework first. All good so far.
Reggy

Rod_Bender
23-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Reggy

The reason i asked was if your looking at using it for bottom bashing out at the shoals etc, for $ reasons, why not just go to a TLD model say 20.

billfisher
23-01-2006, 09:59 PM
I have heard that it is really an adapted multidisk star drag. Ie it is not like the typical lever drags with a large single disk. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on the intended use. Ie it should be a good casting reel, but it will not be as smooth or powerful as the tradtional lever drag system.

spinner
24-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Looks like a typical single disk lever drag to me. Have a look at
Southwestern Parts schematic.

billfisher
24-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Reggy,

Thats what I was told by a tackle store owner. Perhaps someone who owns one can elighten us. There have been quite a few different 7000 models made over the years apart from the red bush bearing model everyone knows, including high speed ones and a saltwater version with stainless steel sideplates.