PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Tackle

Smelly
19-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Team!

What is the best tackle (rod, reel, line, etc.) for snapper in PPB - from close in to way out...?

Why is your choicethe best?

Smelly

slyham775
20-01-2006, 08:08 AM
hi smelly...

here you go there is 2 different kind.... floating bait..... most ppl here use a bait runner reel like BTR6500 armed with 6-8kg line... with a 7 ft tip rod say 6- 10 kg ... but try 3 different sinker while you find them.... i find silstar tip really good so you can see them biting and the reel will help you cos they run a free so more time for you to hook them up so you can not lost them or miss a bite.....

bottom basting..... most ppl here use overhead like tld 15 to 25.... most ppl use live fibre rod armed with 10-24 kg line but i use gary howard 10-15kg with tld 15 armed with 10kg line cos i find it really light so i can fish all day long grin....

plastic .... 2-4 kg rod about 7ft with 10lb briad line with daiwa or shimano 2500 size i,d say so .....

but there is many different reel and rod and line to choose cos lot of ppl here have different thought .... but i think most ppl might use those kind,s for those snapper ..... and good lucky

Smelly
20-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks Bud.

I pefer Overheads in a boat - any good recs on these type of reel for snapper - and why?

Blueby
20-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Overheads TLD 15 to 25 - No question. For PPB probably the 15

Smelly
20-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks Blueby - What is TLD - andy why TLD over others?

dfox
20-01-2006, 03:31 PM
The shimano tld series are ideal for this type of fishing, there reliable,light in wieght, have a good drag system and being a lever drag is a bonus as well. And now there very affordable with the tld 25 selling for around $175. The only draw back is the handle is a little short, but this can be fixed easily as well.

Tld 25's on custom rods in action on snapper...

Smelly
20-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks dfox - how can the handle be lengthened?

Why is a lever drag good?

dfox
20-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I'll try and explain how a lever drag works,hope you understand,
Lever drags allow you to preset your drag setting (usually a third of the line class) e.g. with the lever in the strike position 12lb line=4lb drag, during a fight you can then either increase or decrease the drag pressure as required by moving the lever passed the strike setting or back from the strike.
Then to restore the reel back to your original drag setting just put the lever back to the strike position. The drag pressure should then be back at the e.g. of 4lb.
With other forms of drags once you adjust the drag from its original setting the only way to restore it is to guess or get out a set of scales and retest it.
As far as the handle goes to lengthen it you either make one or adapt another handle . This is usually only required when you start doing alot of deep water fishing and catch plenty of big fish...foxy

Smelly
20-01-2006, 11:29 PM
The lever drag sounds great - do the ABU 7000's have these type of drags?

What other characteristics make for an ideal snapper overhead reel?

Smelly

slyham775
21-01-2006, 10:45 AM
abu 7000 i not think it has a drag cos it,s a big mother of the bait caster reel ..... and you will not find them easy to use the drag.....

Smelly
21-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Ok - What makes the TLD especially good for snapper?

I am looking at my ABU7000 right now and it looks very much like an overhead... :-?

Can u show me a picture of a baitcaster ABU7000? I am curious..

dfox
21-01-2006, 07:22 PM
? Smelly, i think you better start reading a few books and magazines on the basics of fishing and types of tackle, your asking alot of silly questions that can easily be answered with a quick read.
I dont mind answering your queries but i think your asking the wrong questions.
The abu "is" a "baitcaster" and if your looking at one why ask?
It is a form of overhead reel also, but its built to cast.
Deep water fishing for snapper doesnt require any casting so the reel of choice is different, you can get away with using your abu, but if you start to do alot of snapper fishing youll find yourself upgrading to a reel more suited to the job...foxy

Smelly
21-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Manyu thanks boys - my mistake in definitions - Sorry. :-[ :'( :'(

roz
21-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Smelly,

I would worry more about technique than gear.

If fishing shallow in shore reefs, go light if possible. I like to use mainly egg beaters for float lining, and my baitcaster for throwing lures.

A rod around 2.5 in the 6kg range.

roz

Smelly
22-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Thank Roz - what depth is shallow to you?

roz
22-01-2006, 11:20 AM
There is one of my favourite spots down here at Coffs that comes up to 9 metres from an average of 18.

When I anchor up on it, I try for a peak of about 14 and then float the baits and burley over the 18+.

Those inshore spots will only fish well late in the afternoon or very, very early in the morning. Down here 10kg plus snapper from these areas are not unusual, although my best is only 8kg.

A lady caught one about the 14kg mark(I think) fishing from the rocks early one morning, she would have been fishing in less than 4 metres.

Roz

slyham775
23-01-2006, 08:13 AM
hey why not you come over to my place and i,ll show you the different on tld and abu reel how about that ???? ::)

finga64
23-01-2006, 08:37 AM
What's PPB?? :-[
What's the best tackle.. that's easy... the rod and reel or handline with a fish on the end. :D
Mate, that's like asking what the best car on the road.
My brother to buys so I can try. Poor rich bugger. He has to work all the time and I don't ::)
I tend to go on the light side though. More fun that way even if I loose a few

finding_time
23-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm guessing Port Philip Bay ! :)

Jeremy
23-01-2006, 01:41 PM
as you can see, people successfully use everything from rail mounter snapper winches to light threadline tackle to catch snapper. What is most effective for fish in a given location is another question altogether.

What depth do you intend to fish in PPB? I am thinking it is a large shallow exapnse of water not unlike Moreton Bay. Moreton Bay is about 25-30 deep at the deepest, but alot of good snapper are taken from reefs and structure in 4-10 m of water. In these locations alot of people are casting soft plastic lures now and taking good fish that way. Other popular methods are traditional baitfishing with overhead or threadline reels. In shallow water, the fish spook easily and light tackle and fresh or live well presented bait is the key.

I suggest going on a reputable charter in the area you want to fish. You will pick up a couple of spots to try in your own boat next time as well as learn alot about the gear used, bait, rigging, techniques etc etc. If they are any good, it will be money well spent.

Jeremy

Sportfish_5
23-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Get that 1kW transducer and they will just float to the surface in the PPB shallows :-X

Smelly
24-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey Sporty.

What do u mean - fish will float to surface..? I know this was tounge in cheek stuff..

But, I am curiuos what the underlying meaning was..? :D

THanks

eV@Ns_BoY
24-01-2006, 09:14 PM
DER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Jeremy
25-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey Sporty.

What do u mean - fish will float to surface..? #I know this was tounge in cheek stuff..

But, I am curiuos what the underlying meaning was..? #:D

THanks

a 1kw transducer is very powerful and would be best suited to deep werer fishing when it is important to pick out bottom details in 100 m +. In relatively shallow water like in PPB, it is overkill. Fish do pick up the sonar waves emitted from the transducer, and in shallow water this much power might scare them off....or cook them as they swim :o

Jeremy