PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts for older reels

Knackers
28-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Folks,
I've been prompted to put this out there after a call for help by 4x4 frog regarding spare parts for reels. Some years I came across a bloke Ray Carter at Maroochydore who collects old reels and also repairs and restores reels for customers. He has literally thouands of all types of reels and buckets of new and secondhand reel bits and pieces. Having several older reels myself that still have plenty of life in them,I have found Ray very helpful when chasing up bail springs, main gears etc that would have otherwise make my reel unusable. I'm sure many of you probably have the odd reel lying around that only needs 1 part to have it working again.
By the way, I have no vested interest in his business/hobby and hope he can be of help to you as well. His Ph.no is 54436428, Mob. 0439 739 246 and email maroochy@dodo.com.au
regards Knackers :D

nigelr
29-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Many thanks for the tip, Knackers, :). I love buggering about with older reels, have about 20 much to the Bosses' displeasure ::), and as you say, parts for them can be very hard to find, very frustrating when only one part is needed and you can't obtain or fabricate a replacement :'(!
regards Nigel

Phoenix
29-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Another tip for older reels - to replace worn leather washers you can purchase a few bits of leather from a shoe repair place for $1 or so. Bring the old washer to match it and then use it as a template.

Far cheaper than spending crazy money getting in washers from overseas.

4x4frog
30-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Knackers,
I am emailling Ray Carter tonight to see how I go.
I had a thought the other day that I could get an old workmate of mine to cast a few of these gears up in a non-precious(dental) alloy but that wouldn't work unless I could get a perfect one first.

Cheers and thanks again for Rays contact details.
Chris.

Edit....me thinks that the email address isn't quite kosher Knackers....
... while talking to postoffice.mail-hub.dodo.com.au.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 Unknown user
550 5.1.1 <maroochy@dodo.com.au>... User unknown
<<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

Not to worry I will give him a call tomorrow as my son talking to his g/f and there is no hope I'll get the dog'n'bone back tonight