PDA

View Full Version : do it yourself livewells

simonpp82
30-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Hello guys and girls, Just after some advice on making my own livewell. I'm going for a fairly cheap alternative and am using an old esky. The setup i was thinking of using is a bilge pump (30L p/minute) fixed to the transom pumping water into the esky, with a second overflow pipe of a larger diameter about 3 inches from the top of the esky. I'm installing the esky to fit into a bracket so that it wont move when im on the go. My main queery is with the placement of the bilge and if i can still use it while moving? I'm assuming that most livewells would allow water to be replaced while moving, but i cant workout how to do it as fitting the bilge to the transom means that it is out of the water while moving??? Any help would be much appreciated.

DaneCross
30-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Simon,
Here's a pic of how mine was done (a pro job by Fisher Boats, thanks Col ;)). The opening of the pipe is just below the transom allowing for (automatic) uptake while under way.
Dane

Fishin_Dan
31-01-2006, 09:57 AM
There's a stainless "pipe" running from under the bilge pump to underneath the transom (As you can see in DC's picture). This is also the plate that the bilge pump is mounted onto.

You should probably make the overflow pipe a bit bigger than your input pipe as well... If it's too small, then the water levels could rise and overflow if the overflow is not getting the water out fast enough...

Photograph the whole thing and post it up here too... I will be doing a similar job eventually to my boat, so will be good to see other peoples jobs as they go!

simonpp82
31-01-2006, 10:13 AM
yeah thanks guys, i got one of those scooper brackets today. it'll be all set up ready for some thursday mack action!