PDA

View Full Version : what is the most easiest way to cast a baitcaster

schrammy79
29-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a Shiman corvalus cvl-300 baitcaster, with dam raider rod. I can cast ok but want distance and accuracy. I have read on how to cast but if anyone has a better technique that they can explain to me or link me to a online how to video it would be appreciated.
Chris
:-[ :o

morty103
29-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Check this out bud
http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm

Jonli
29-01-2006, 06:26 PM
:)

Chris ,

What I find with baitcaster and any casting outfit , for that matter , a balanced tackles will give you the best results . No doubt , one's ability to baitcast play the most important thing here so practice and practice and more practices are the way to become proficient in this matter .

The better reels offer better braking system , the better rods offer better cast control and the more experienced casters always can cast better ( distance n accuracy ) than the beginners .

I don't think there is any other way to learn casting technique except by learning from an experienced caster , books , video , etc. won't be anygood , in my opinion .

JonLi .

Jeremy87
29-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Mate the two don't go together. Practice makes perfect. You can only really expect around 20-25 metres of accurate casting out of a baitcaster depending on three things 1. the lures weight and aerodynamics, 2. the quality of your gear and 3. how good you are at casting.

My preferred casting technique is to hold the reel at 9 oclock instead of twelve, this alows more wrist movement. A slow backcast and let the lure sit behind you. keeping your elbow relatively still accelerate your wrist and forearm foreward in a deliberate pointing action at your target. Keep your thumb on the spool the entire way through the cast.

Good luck
Jeremy

schrammy79
29-01-2006, 06:37 PM
so in the actual cast movement itself its more of a lob that a powerful flicking action???
THanks for everyones quick response, looks like practice ,practice ,practice for me until I can master tha correct action

Phoenix
29-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Get some casting weights from your local tackle shop or Big-W/ KMART. They cost around $4 each or you can get a set. These are simple rubber weights that you use to simulate a lure. Go down to your local park and aim at a drink bottle or soft-drink can at set distances or 15 meters or more.

Put a few hours in an you should be able get fairly accurate. You will also be able to increase your range.

Tight lines ya' all.

schrammy79
29-01-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks Phoenix, I will do

Phoenix
30-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Most people get a baitcaster for accuracy. Get into the sweet spots around mangroves, rocks etc. So aiming for a soft-drink can isn't so unrealistic. Depending on what you are fising from (shore, boat, whatever) you may want to practice range. That also depends a lot of the type of lure.

Anyway good luck with it.

thumps
30-01-2006, 09:05 AM
practise...practise..and more practise

its like fly rodding...you can only get better if your technique is right..and you practise

personally i learned to fish in small overgrown streams in tassie...and i can cast a 1/4 oz lure where i want it(most times)..on a threadline...without thoughts of magnetic weights and backlash.

mate its all about knowing your gear...and knowing how it works.

the best reel in the world wont get you a good cast unless you practise with it and know its limits.

practise...practise..and more practise

schrammy79
30-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I contructed a home made practice plug out of a thong sole my wife wasnt using(hope she doesnt miss it), drill a hole in the top and made various cuts with a hobby knife in the sides and inserted various spit shot sinkers, had a practice this afternoon using this technique http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm and what a diffence it makes, no saw arm, I can cast further with less effort,its acurate.Thanks everyone for helping me become a better fisherman.
Chris

roz
31-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Plenty of practise,

Does it have magnetic control? Very handy for beginners if it does. I've got a little ABU and love it.

Don't give up.

Roz

schrammy79
31-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I has a Variable Brake System (VBS) feature it uses centrifugal force rather that magnets to aid in controlling the cast for increased distance and castability quoted from shimanofish.com.au

wayne_cook
31-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I like to remove the level wind (if your real has one) it sligtly improves distance and can make it easier to remove backlashes.Personal choice I feel the advantages outway doing the leveling yourself.

schrammy79
31-01-2006, 09:59 PM
this is a link to the reel I have and use
http://www.shimanofish.com.au/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743020 38938&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181410&bmUID=1138708430609
its the 300

sooty_mad
01-02-2006, 08:52 AM
schrammy
The link posted by Morty103 is very good. As shown in the photographs, the real trick is to twist the reel through 90 degrees so the spool is vertical - you should be looking at the back of your hand. This stops the thumb being "forced" onto the spool during the cast which allows better control. The other must is to cast vertically over your shoulder, not round arm - this is essential if you want accuracy. The rod should swing through the arc or plane of the direction where you are casting to and at the end of the cast the rod tip should be pointing to exactly the spot where you want to cast. By casting this way the direction of the cast is controlled and you only have to worry about the distance, which is controlled by the thumb. By casting "round arm" you have to try and control both direction and distance. OK for casting off a beach but not good around the mangroves.
One other thing, keep the lure only about 150mm from the rod tip when casting. This allows you to cast a lot more "direct" rather than a big sloppy cast.
My advice would be that once you get reasonably proficient, back the magnetic drag off and practice with a free spool to learn better thumb control. Then practice, practice and more practice. A plastic bucket at 15 metres is the best target. After a while it just becomes second nature.
Don't be too concerned about the odd overrun. Even though fisherman don't like to admit, it happens to everyone now and then.
Kind regards... David

roz
01-02-2006, 09:50 AM
One more thing I would like to add, although some may disagree, I found spooling the reel with braid made it easier to cast. I have no idea why.

good luck Roz

schrammy79
01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
thanks David ,I will try that roll over wrist technique tommorrow sounds really good, my reel currently has no vbs/mag brake set.

What is the lightest lure that can any one out their cast on the BAITCASTERS????
OVERHEAD REEL TYPE.

Chris.

scorpion_500
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
What is the lightest lure that can any one out their cast on the #BAITCASTERS????
OVERHEAD REEL TYPE.

heh, that's almost like asking how long's a piece of string. #A lot depends on the quality of your gear & how proficient you are with using it (especially how educated your thumb is). #Been a long time since i used my baitcaster but I used to easily throw 1/4 ounce (don't ask me in grams - haven't the foggiest)... an uncle of mine used to be able to toss a shade under 1/8 oz with his rig (I tried but couldn't)... takes practice though...

Jonli
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
::)

Check your rod casting weight , if a rod is designed to cast 1/2 oz. ( 15 gr. approx ) then most likely it won't cast 1/4 oz lure properly and wud be impossible to cast 1/8 oz. lure , likewise the reverse is pretty much the same albeit not as bad , situation wise . a rod rated to cast 1/8 oz. ( for example ) would have difficulties in casting much heavier lure to the required distance and less effective to cast accurately . #:P

Most rods are designated with range of casting weight , such as 1/2 oz. wud most likely be labelled as 3/8 oz. - 3/4 oz. , for example but this is just a guidance from marketting points of view , one must be able to judge whether one rod is ideally suited for a rang of lure weight , depending on each own's ability to cast . #:-* Longer rods can cast lighter lures , in general but shorter rods are more accurate , at least for me . #;D

NOT ALL RODS ARE CREATED EQUAL ! #:-/

In baitcasting outfit , BALANCED tackles are required more so than when using spinning outfits . Big capacity reel such as Calcutta 400 ( for example ) is not designed to cast 1/4 oz. lure , a smaller #200 version would be better suited for the tasks . :o

I use braided line exclusively now , they are a better line for casting than mono , possibly due to my being so used to with it nowaday . I hardly use mono anymore , even when trolling I prefer to use dacron + mono top shot . #;)

JonLi . #8-)

jimbolikes_barra
02-02-2006, 11:25 PM
depends on skill and quality in the gear u use mostly i have a curado abu and citica as my lure casting reels the curado casts the farthest citica coming a very close second and the abu comes no where near them both

im not saying that the abus are crap. i love em. im saying that buy the reel for what its designed to do not what you might like it to do with it every now and again. :) 8-)

cheers james
;)

Jonli
03-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Guys ,

NOT ALL REELS ARE CREATED EQUAL ! #;D

WE ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL ! #:'(

JonLi .

Cloud_9
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
the best way to beet overrun is to use a good braid that is supple like cotton and it will reduce the liklyhood of backlash by miles.
and like what has been said earlier is balanced rig.
you can put a big reel on a lite rod if your going to be casting smaller weights.
and put the same reel on a heavier rod for heavier weights.
the reel your got is from memery the same one that un-nameable tackle shop has had on special.
i have similar reel ( for size) with 30 LB braid and for Barra i put it on a 6-8kg rod for throwing bigger lures and put the same reel line and all on a 2kg outfit for bass, overkill it may be but just set the drag to suite and your reel just became multipurpose .
the reel i got is high end tackle but i had done the same thing for a mate with a 400serries shimano corsair Baitcaster .
took me 30minites to teach how to cast and once you learn how to TUNE the reel to way you cast or the wieght your throwing the rest is easy.

Cheers Cloud 9
im in the process of tring a 7000ABU on 3-4 kg rod for Flathead and the likes so i have another reel for Saltwater use.