PDA

View Full Version : Question about twisted dropper loop

SMB
03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Was learning this knot yesterday, I finally think I have it, however one question. What stops the loop that the hook attaches to becoming un-twisted ? Surely after a few casts won't it become un-twisted, maybe I'm missing some part of this ? thanks.

sf17fisherman
03-02-2006, 10:11 AM
first you twist the loop to length 9for me when i use them around a foot
then you open the end and twist and tie that off and it is that knot that hold the twists so the line can't untwist ;)

SMB
03-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply mate, but I'm still not following, I don't understand what you mean by twisting and tieing it off after you open it ? This is the guide I followed http://fishing.jvmarine.com.au/library/knotsrigs/twisteddropperloop.html

sf17fisherman
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
right o just quickly as i need to shoot for work
i'm refuring to parts 4-7
the base knot part after thats done the twists can't untwist

Tony_N
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
SMB

Strongly recommend you test this knot for strength. #I recently lost a couple of BIG fish when this knot failed on me (twice in one day - two different rigs). #I was so pinged off I did some breakage tests and found the knot only has at best 50% line strength retention. I now use uni-knots to swivels. #Each dropper is tied to a rolling swivel. For the main part of the rig (the backbone) two pieces of line line are tied through one hole in the swivel with uni knots so that the swivel/drpper line stands out at 90 degrees to the main backbone .

Its a lot of knots and takes longer than the twisted dropper knot to tie #- but it is more like 90% strength retention so is worth it to me. #I now use flurocarbon for the leader off the main #backbone of Jinkai.

FWIW

Tony

onerabbit
06-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I've had that knot let me down too many times on big fish, now its 3way swivels & lots of joins, but it works better.

Muzz

SMB
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was using 3-way swivels, but was looking at alternatives, as I often got tangles with the line going to the hook wrapping around the main line. I may have to try some double line method with swivels.

onerabbit
07-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Its a pretty ugly rig, but if you make a big double ( tied off) & just loop it through the swivel eye it should be ok, I use 70lb for drop-rigs for everything from snapper in close to deep sea cod 22ml out.
When you put your hooks on, if you just loop them on they will be fine most times, but will probably break on the fish you didn't want to loose. Instead, when rigging up, push loop through eye of hook, bring hook up through loop & around right piece of line, bring hook up through loop & around left piece of line, bring hook up through loop, & pull tight.
This works far better & almost never breaks at the hook.

What are you fishing for?

Muzz

SMB
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I was interested in this rig initially because where I fish mostly (from boat), depending on tide times etc, the tide can run very strong, and it takes a great big sinker to get to the bottom, on a regular running sinker rig, often upon casting the sinker overtakes the trace and well you know the rest (tangles), so I was looking at rigs with the sinker on the bottom as alternatives. It's in estuary, so your usual bream and flathead species, but have caught squire and cod 40cm+.

That rig sounds a little complicated...I "think" I know what you mean though, will have a play around, thanks.