PDA

View Full Version : Free Fishing Rod

beancounter
18-12-2005, 08:42 PM
On page 134 of the latest, January 2006 edition of "Modern Fishing" magazine, they are giving away a "free" Piranha fishing rod to anyone who fills in and cuts out the coupon. The rod is apparently worth
$ 189.95 !

The only catch seems to be that you have to pay $ 29.95 postage/shipping and handling fee, to get the rod.

We all know that there are rods.......... and there are rods.

They are giving away either a 7' estuary / 10kg spin rod or a 10' / 8 kg surf rod.

I am wondering if anyone has filled in the coupon and got the rod, so they can tell me if the rod is worth at least $ 29.95.

Jeremy87
18-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Thats typical, i've lost my copy.

ismail
19-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Ive got the coupon but havent sent it away as I too am unsure as to the quality of the rod and wether it would be worth it or not. I was actually waiting for someone on here to talk about the brand and quality of it. Does anyone have the rod yet

DR
19-12-2005, 02:19 PM
you have to send in the coupon by the 1st january..
tried getting more info from their web site..it is conveniently being updated. has anyone been there for a look at their product??

JB
19-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah i cant find a photo of the rod, i've looked everywhere.

Gave up, figured my 30 bucks might be best spent elsewhere. The whole $189 "worth" sounds like BS to me.

If anyone gets one i'll be interested to see it.

Jas

Captian_Zero
19-12-2005, 08:24 PM
I haven't seen the ad but I work on the theory if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is - but I am a boring conservative risk averse banker.

Regards

Chris

rajawolf
19-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Send me the coupon, I will let you know what the rod is like. ;D

fishingnottake
20-12-2005, 05:07 PM
i have a coupn if you want one raja

Red_Nut
21-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Team - I am reading a lot on different net forums about the offer, but noone seems to have recieved their rod yet.

Has anyone here received one yet? I guess I am a bit skeptical, considering no one seems to have seen a Piranha fishing rod yet, let alone the model thay are offerring for $30.

Any one have an update?

Ed.

Billo
21-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I would ASSUME that Modern fishing would not allow a rort being pulled through their mag ....but i doubt i will be sending my bucks off ..you never know ...may actually be a good deal :-? ::)

baldyhead
22-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey rajawolf have you sent for the rod yet?

Jeremy87
22-12-2005, 11:42 PM
"Please allow 28 days for delivery from the last day of promotional month. Mail enquiries to address above. Pirahna sport Not responsible for lost or misdirected mail"

Basically no one will get a rod till the end of feburary and if they don't show up they don't give a sh!t. Their web site is also being updated. I won't be getting one because i already have too many rods but i reakon $30 isn't to bad a gamble. Like loosing a bet for a carton i spose.

fishingnottake
22-12-2005, 11:43 PM
according to the coupon it expires 31st of jan

rajawolf
23-12-2005, 04:37 PM
fishingnottaken,

Thats good mate ..I will talk to you soon about the offer. ;D

Dehydrated
23-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Saw the offer but have found that cheap gear usually means poor quality. I am going to give it a miss. ;D ;D

noodlemantra
31-12-2005, 04:43 PM
put ya 30 bucks on pulsator to win the magic millions or each way on big joker. i own a horse by show a heart and both these horses are sired by him. they are the goods this year, let me tell you.

DR
02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
baldyhead,

Fishingnottaken (Ashley) has offered me his coupon, he said I have till the 31/01/06

But DR is saying by the 1/01/06..I will have to check with Ashley now..as it maybe too late with xmas a few days away.

I was going to try the 10' / 8 kg surf rod. :)

Cheers,

Tony

sorry for confusion rajawolf, it actually has both dates on it.
in terms & conditions it says by Jan 31st..
on the actual order form undr please read carefully, see number 4. send by first of jan .
hes both, i didn't read terms etc. & would imagine being the latest would be the legal deadline.
cheers

Huggy_B
02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
For $30, its worth a punt I reckon. at the very worst, I can palm it off on the missus and she can flick a soft plastic or two from the jetty with me or I can let a mate who doesnt have any fishing gear have a bit of a fish if the situation arises.

If it ends up being a complete POS, then I am not going to lose much sleep over $30.

fishingnottake
02-01-2006, 02:48 PM
i'm a bit put off by the fact they're waiting unitl all orders are in before sending the rods out, instead of sending them out as they recive them, that way noone has any forwarnign on how good they are, and if it;s a scam they've gotten the absolute maximum amount of people and had pleanty fo time to make a clean get away.
dodge.

Huggy_B
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
i'm a bit put off by the fact they're waiting unitl all orders are in before sending the rods out, instead of sending them out as they recive them, that way noone has any forwarnign on how good they are, and if it;s a scam they've gotten the absolute maximum amount of people and had pleanty fo time to make a clean get away.
dodge.

Fair call, but they also have a similar offer running in February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December. Thats 11 more "offers" who's success will more than likely be hinged on how well the first one goes by word of mouth amongst us fishos. Im guessing this is like an acid test to get brand recognition in the market place where they have basically nil.

But you are right, there is that constant "too good to be true" nag in the back of my head. I have reasoned that I spend $20 or $30 on bait to feed blowfish, so if I get a rod it cant be all that bad - its a better deal than 352 dead blowfish littering your feet.....

DR
02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
dodge.

Fair call, but they also have a similar offer running in February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December. Thats 11 more "offers" who's success will more than likely be hinged on how well the first one goes by word of mouth amongst us fishos. Im guessing this is like an acid test to get brand recognition in the market place where they have basically nil.

But you are right, there is that constant "too good to be true" nag in the back of my head. I have reasoned that I spend $20 or $30 on bait to feed blowfish, so if I get a rod it cant be all that bad - its a better deal than 352 dead blowfish littering your feet.....

me being the cynical t*rd that i am, i look at the extended offer for the other months & reckon it is just to make it look like they will be around for a while, therefore giving a false sense of security & sucking more people in ;D :-/ said i was cynical, probably why i miss out on stuff!

ba229
02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I looked at it and figured $30 will buy me $20 worth of shitty rod so have given it a wide berth.

Will look forward to hearing how it turns out for others.

Flounder
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
I was gonna get it but I forgot to post the letter! My mum was gonna pay for it so that's why I was gonna get it.. Cos if it turns out to be cr@p it wouldn't be my loss...

aussiefool
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
If anyone has the coupon still and dose not want it ... send it to me and I risk the $30. and let you know how it went ;D ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Brenno
16-01-2006, 02:09 PM
there web site is now up and running and they have the coupons in there to print out.

said that due to xmas they have been delayed in sending everything out, and everyone should have there rod by mid Feb.

beancounter
09-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I got my rod yesterday. It is a Piranha fibreglass solid tip 70 Estuary Action rod 20-40GR. It is a 2 piece rod, which came in a red cloth bag. It has 6 guides. The top 6" of the rod is "clear".

The base of the rod is a very cheap looking plastic. The bottom end of the rod has a plastic screw out cap, which enables small items (e.g. swivels, to be stored inside the hollow plastic handle grip. The guides appear to be made of (average quality) plastic and are well bound to the rod.

It's certainly not a "top-of-the-range" rod - but it's not a "kids toy" either.

As to the value of the rod - I am certainly no expert in these matters, but I would say that it is worth a lot less than $ 189 - Min. $ 30 Maximum
$ 60.

It will be a useful estuary rod which I will certainly use.

rajawolf
23-12-2006, 01:52 PM
baldyhead,

Fishingnottaken (Ashley) has offered me his coupon, he said I have till the 31/01/06

But DR is saying by the 1/01/06..I will have to check with Ashley now..as it maybe too late with xmas a few days away.

I was going to try the 10' / 8 kg surf rod. :)

Cheers,

Tony