PDA

View Full Version : Ugly stik composite???

theVan
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey guys.

I am in the market for a new versatile spin rod.

I mean versatile because I will mostly use it at Fraser on the Kingfisher jetty.
I will be targeting large bream in the coming weeks, but there is still school mackeral hanging around and trevally takeing livebaits (herring).
I also will drop a live herring on the bottom and try for some nice flatties.
(I will be using (for the moment) an Abu Garcia 4000 spin reel with Berkley vanish 6pd line)

But I am also keen to give my selection of soft plastics a good go as the trevally and flathead are often caught up there on them.

I have a voucher for a certain department store with a limited range.

I was wondering what you all thought of the Uglystik 4-8 kilo with a graphite core and glass exterior.
It has fuji runners and will probably cost around $70

Thanks in advance
Shane

Blackened
07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
G'day
That sounds pretty good. How long? About a 7' would be good. I run an ugly stick. It's 3-6kg 6'6 and 10lb fireline. THis is on a 4000rb sedona. I've had this loaded well and it should handle the mackeral pretty well... just watch your spool capacity.
Dave

theVan
08-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks Blackened

A mate is telling me I should get a Berkley dropshot

now I am very confused.

He keeps talking about the responsiveness of the graphite.

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Your mate is correct. Graphite rods are generally superior to hollow glass as they are lighter and have greate/faster recovery. The ugly stiks are graphite with a glass tip which gives a strong rod with good senstiivity. The graphite rods are also alot more fragile and easier to break as alot of people have found out the hard way.

For mainly lure fishing, I would go a nice graphite rod, but for mainly bait fishing the ugly stik will be fine.

Jeremy

theVan
08-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks a lot Jeremy

I must admit I will probably do mostly bait fishing off the jetty.

Do you think the ugly stik with the Graphite core is a comprimise that will be OK for the odd soft plastic session?
I will probably be using reasonable size plastics on the flatties and Trevally. Heck I might even use hard body lures with this outfit as well..... but I do have my Calcutta 400 set up for this.

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I am sure the Ugly Stik will be fine for casting SP or hard body lures. As Dave said, a bit longer makes a better casting rod.

Jeremy

theVan
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I can be a bit rough on rods so I think the ugly stik will prob do the trick.

If all else fails I should just get one of each! ;D

thanks again fellas