PDA

View Full Version : are sic sticks sick?

adam_ngakiri
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
there is a big sale on at the store which wont be named where you can get a strudwick sic stick for 40% off with the purchase of any reel.

That means i can get a graphite sic stick 6-10 kilo for around eighty clams.

i know it is a good price but what i dont know is if the rod is any good.

any advise would be welcomed

BobbyJ123
10-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Mate, they are brilliant.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Kinchant_barras_005.jpg

edaw
10-06-2006, 03:16 PM
THERE OK BUT ID GO THE EXTRA MILE AND GET A SOFT OR HARD BODZ

robdiep
10-06-2006, 06:53 PM
They are "Fully Sick Mate"! Sub Woofer! hahaha

staggy
10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I own 3 sicksticks. Love em all.
The little girl in the pic was caught using a 4 to 8kg baitcaster sickstick in heavy timber. Iv got no complaints so far.
staggy.

Blue_Escape
10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
staggy,
they are Fully Sic 8-). I think very underated, don't have as much pose value ::) as some other brands but absolutely brilliant for the price. I have a pair of the 5-8Kg 7' spin rods which have caught some great macks & tuna and comfortably fish at their line class. Also I got mine form the mart that shall not be named 12 months ago on a 50% deal ;D couldn't be happier.

Cheers
Blue

land-lubber
10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok, sorry to break up the party ::)

Sic sticks are probably not the best deal, in fact i would rate the raider and the dropshot over them anyday. Some major tackle shops down south are seriously considering getting rid of the strudwick line all together as they are having too much trouble with them. there are blank faults, binding faults etc that go allong with a mass produced stick in china/taiwan. Graphite will not handle any misstreatment ike the above and hence we get a lot of breakages from these issues. I hate to say it, but have u considered why these rods are on special?????
because they arnt moving out like thay should. I know, i work at the mentioned store as the fishing salesman. Note that older rods were better quality as they were made in ozs?? not sure but the company sold off the line and thay are now made in china or taiwan and it is obvious in the quality.

Kopey
11-06-2006, 02:01 AM
I've got a 5'8" 6-10 kg SicStik with a new Diawa Luna 253 on it and it seems to be fine. Fully arked it in the shop before I bought it and caught a few with her, haven't had and problems yet. Time will tell though as I'm yet to land a metre and a half Barra on her so can't say for sure.

Off the topic that Luna 253 of mine is awesome! sweet litttle reel the things got as much drag as me 6/0 Senator! Go as far to say they go as hard as a Calcutta.

Still like fishin' for pelagics alot more so she doesn't get as much use.

freddyfish
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Adam
Agree with Landlubber.. Nice rods to use but seems to be a reoccuring theme about breakages including mine. Two tackle shops I talked to said it is common to see Sic sticks coming in with tips or sections broken off. Unfortunate.

Cheers
Brad

staggy
11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
For around 80 bucks its worth a shot Adam. A good mate of mine broke his sickstick 3 hours after he picked it up practise casting in the back yard. Took it back got another one and has had no problems so far 2 years on. I know three people who use G-Loomis and they have all had breakages and heard of plenty of others as well, so does that mean the G's are no good. Mistreat any graphite rod and your sure to break it. I treat all my rods the same no mater if Iv payed 30 bucks or 300. Iv never broken a rod on a fish but stuffed a couple in car doors ect..
Whats better Toyota or Nissan, the list could go on and on. Is it only the Sicksticks on special as I seen them at my local store we cant mention along side Shimano, Abu Garcia, ect ect... on sale with a 40% discount, are they all crap.
There will be just as many people for as against these rods Adam. I guess you will have to sleep on it and decide if its worth the risk.
Staggy.

Fishin_Dan
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
You can get the Berkley Dropshot rods or the Shimano Raider rods for around the same price. The Raider would be my pick out of any of them! But the dropshot would be second.

sid_fishes
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
adam, mate i was looking for2 rods at the time and 2 sales poeple from 2 different shops said the same thing sic sticks are not that good and showed me proof[ broken rods to be sent back], im the proud owner of 2 dropshots which have not let me down[ and i,m not easy the way i throw things around] cheers ian

snakecatcher
13-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I've got various Sic Stick rods and never had a problem with any of them and for $80 I reckon they are a great buy.