PDA

View Full Version : What plastics for Swains???

rando
14-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Suggestions please???. I was thinking Snapbacks, but I am having trouble finding any. Everyone one seems to stock Gulps, Squidgies.
thanks
R

Fishin_Dan
14-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Rob,

Kevin stocks Snapbacks - http://www.lureworld.com.au

You could also look at maybe the Zooms in the Super Fluke. They're a 5 1/4" plastic, so a bit bigger... Do you use squid for bait up there? If so, possibly also look into some of the Squid plastics maybe? (Like the one in this pic which glows in the dark when hit with a torch). I think River2Sea make a few squid ones as well which look pretty good.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Possibly talk to FrankOO and find out what he uses out in the deep water. Vertico also uses some plastics in the deep. They should all work the same.

Of course, knowing that damn Murphy guy, the best plastic to use will probably be something silly like a 2" bream grub!!! ;D

rando
14-06-2006, 03:16 PM
We also fish the shallows a lot , my favourite areas are usually less than 5 metres.. I am taking all my plastics( not a lot anyway) . But I thought that the toothy critters up there might make short work of them. Really want a packet of snapbacks if i can find any. Ill have a look at those suggestions Dan, thanks any one else got any tips.??

Fishin_Dan
14-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Ah ok Rob. Didn't realise you were also in that shallow ::) (You can tell how often I've fished it!!!)

A good plastic I've been using lately is the 4" Turtleback GULP by Berkley. It is the Gulp, so has all the scent etc, but the tail is really long & gets an awesome action. I reckon it would do pretty well.

You should also definately take some Zoom SuperFlukes (5 1/4" plastics) in Watermelon & Baby Bass colours.

rando
14-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Dan
Your suggestion to give the little grubs and minnows (3") has some merit but I think what will happen is they will get pounced on by a quazillion little aquarium sized beasties, and i'll end up going through them like a train, unless they are Tough plastics.
Having said that , i will certainly test out the theory, you never know,,, wonder if those smaller jigheads / hooks will hold a good reefy in rough country...... can't wait to find out ,,,, one month to go!!!!

Some of those big paddle tails that push a fair bit of water should be good on a dropper above some bait out in the deep. I will put that rig to the test for sure.
Id be interested to hear anyones suggestions on brands ,size and colour particularly some of you northern blokes who get out to the reef.
Cheers
rando

Cheech
14-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Rob,

I thought you would be busy enough with bait. With some of the big fish up there, I would be more worried about jigheads straightenning. Probably better to stick with bait, big guns and Rum.

Cheech

rando
14-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Gday Cheech
How are you mate?.
Yes Ill be taking a couple of 40 oz bottles of SCOTCH, (you keep the rum, only good for treating snakebite & fatique :))
There will be plenty of bait fishing as well, but it will be interesting to try some different tactics.
I cant wait ,,one whole week of full on fishing, morning noon & night :) :) :)
Yeah straightened hooks , is a possability but I reacon i should be able to find something in the tackle box to do the job.
What do you think?? ;)

Rob

matthill80
16-06-2006, 06:25 PM
try the atomic 6" shads and the 6" jerk sahds. especially in the lumo black back and there are some great bait fish imitations in the jerkshad model

cheers matt

barradise
16-06-2006, 09:11 PM
One of mates is a skipper of a charter boat out of Gladstone, he likes the large purple and red MR Twister jig heads. They can also be spiced up.
John.

rando
17-06-2006, 10:58 AM
By the way Rebel sports at chermside are clearing all the fishing gear, there is not much left but they have packets of prerigged Squidies AT 50% OFF, $5 a packet!!

rando
17-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Matt/ John
thanks for the suggestions will have a look for them.