PDA

View Full Version : multi purpose reels

Alby_74
20-12-2005, 02:06 PM
being a keen, green and financially lean fisher Im hoping to get a reel that will perform a number of tasks, as I cant afford a special reel for each style of fishing.

Is it possible to ge a reel that will function well attached to a Snapper rod for bottom bashing and jigging from a tinnie, as well as spinning slices etc for tuna ...And handle the job attached to a 10ft+ rod for beach and rock fishing?

I have a crappy but serviceable 10ft rod which I dont use often enough, but Im now looking at spending up to $200 on a combo to use from the tinnie.

Any advice and makes/model recommendations greatly appreciated

SimonT
20-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I would have said a Daiwa Entoh might be suit your requirements, except that its price tag of just over $300 will blow your budget. It's worth a quick look none-the-less.

Simon

krazyfisher
20-12-2005, 03:16 PM
there is not really a reel out there that can do all those jobs a few will cover a couple of jobs. the reels that can handle a number of jobs are normally a lot of $$$$.
remember:-
you cant play golf with just one club and neither can you fishing with one rod...

he he get a full set ;D

Blue_Escape
20-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Alby,
the Shimano "Speedmaster" TSS4 is probably your best bet. It is virtually indestructible and has plenty of cranking power, great (waterproof) drag as well as a high retrieve speed for spinning. It should handle most "medium" tasks 15-30lb with relative ease. If you shop around you should get one for about $120-$130. Hard to beat a big gutsy spinning reel for an allrounder!

Cheers
Blue

Alby_74
20-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Cheers Blue,

That's in the right price bracket so Ill check them out at the local tackle store...might try and get a deal on a combo...maybe Santa will be kind to me this year!!!

Alby

Pash67
21-12-2005, 10:02 AM
All we used when I was growing up was a hand line with 50 pound line. We cut lengths of push bike tube to go over our indexfingers so the line didn't cut in. Never used a rod out at the reef. In the creeks and off the beach we had alvey reels & used our palms for the drag. No fancy gear, it is cheap, lasts for years and catches heaps of fish.

Adrian

walshy
22-12-2005, 11:48 PM
i suggest an abu garcia ambassadeaur low profile baitcaster with the pistel grip mussel tip this as a combo will set u back $100-$150.

Jeremy
21-06-2006, 07:57 AM
i suggest an abu garcia ambassadeaur low profile baitcaster with the pistel grip mussel tip this as a combo will set u back $100-$150. :o :o

For "Is it possible to ge a reel that will function well attached to a Snapper rod for bottom bashing and jigging from a tinnie, as well as spinning slices etc for tuna ...And handle the job attached to a 10ft+ rod for beach and rock fishing?"

I love my ABU baitcasters, but they ain't suitable for bottom fishing for snapper and they definitely aren't suitable for spinning for tuna. Not even in the balllpark.

Jeremy

finga64
23-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Aah, the good old days eh Adrian. ::)
I still use the Alvey for just about everything. 4" for the river, 6" for the walls, beach and outside (2 6" reels with different size lines). Have lots of other reels but seem to keep going back to the Alvey's for some reason.
The cook has just upgraded from a handline for outside to a rod. She's happy as Larry now no more tangles ;D