PDA

View Full Version : The Famous Mackmauler Slugs

Cloud_9
30-12-2003, 05:46 AM
after reading a few reports and seeing the finished product while out with Rob AKA Mackmauler these slugs seam to work well. haven't used them yet myseft but new years day is looking good.
so have a vote
If there is enough interest. i'll make another 20 with a Blow by Blow how to with pictures of each step.
there's lots of this [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=smash.gif]

mackmauler
30-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Good to hear you got on with it Jamie, Qld being famous for bribary and corruption I thought the "interest" might of included some beer and a little more beer ;D if thats the case go for your life and leave some for me ;) Lucky Phill has been working on an article that will explain all including pics so hold out im sure it will be worth the wait.

Cloud_9
30-12-2003, 02:02 PM
no probs Rob
hoping to go out new years day thinking about 4 beacons or palm beach they have been getting spots and spanish + Cobies

michael_Brewer
30-12-2003, 02:22 PM
rob.... you're gonna be famous!!!!

Cloud_9
07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
from the time this has been here for the replies everyone has the things down pat, thats good to see.
have field tested a couple and found that they troll real good at 8-10 kn leaving a nice bouble trail and a good erratic wiggle.
they should be fine for a dawn troll at flat rock??

Big_Kev
07-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Dawn troll at Flat Rock.
Better not say that too loud, only if you wanna go to jail.

DaneCross
08-01-2004, 08:34 AM
i still wouldn't mind a blow-by-blow pictorial on how to make them. the email decribing the 'how-to's' wasn't all that clear to me...

mackmauler
08-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Did you have a go DC? What part wasnt clear?

Rob

DaneCross
08-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Gday Rob,
Havn't had a go yet, but this bit was kinda confusing... "TWIST ONE END A FEW TIMES AND MAKE SURE THE TAG IS FLAT THEN PUSH IT UP THE SINKER AND THE FOLD THE OTHER END OVER AND PUSH IT UP THE SINKER, SQUEEZE THE END YOU JUST PUSHED UP WITH PLIERS TO FIX THE WIRE THEN TWIST THE WIRE A COUPLE TIMES TO MAKE A NICE EYELET."
After reading it a few times i get it... they're pretty besic eh? If they work, I'll be cheering - 4 raiders cost me $17.50 the other day and that was at 25% off! :o

mackmauler
08-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Ok, the squeeze part refers to the sinker, as the wire has to be fixed in position by the lead to twist, Phill get on with your explanation :P

Yes its all very basic, and you save lots of dollars. Phills stats in the last report were 200 macks and 4 biteoffs, dont worry about the "if" ;)

landy1
08-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey Rob,
Is there a post with a blow by blow on it. would love to knock a few up after we spent fruitless hours chasing mack schools round the south bar the other day. Can anyone nominate a good trolling speed for raiders
cheers
Mick

mackmauler
08-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Mick, what you were chasing would of been frigate tuna, when mackerel are feeding you really cant miss. There is plenty of them around, mainly because no-one can catch em ;) ill email you the info.

Rob

landy1
08-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Cheers Rob
I still cant believe you take that rig of yours out through the bar. damn thats tough. By the way i saw an ocean cylinder being towed through the kessels road main rd intersection yesterday afternoon, wasnt you was it.
cheers
Mick

jeffo
09-01-2004, 09:49 AM
you want frigates..... get the smallest slugs you can find (5 and 10 gram) and use 2kg. works a treat... and dont they make good troll baits for spaniards ;)

mackmauler
09-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Mick, sent the email off, thats the way I come home, The bar doesnt worry me anything like half the idiots on our roads.

snappa
09-01-2004, 03:42 PM
;D hey when do i get my slug to try out ???
???

Cloud_9
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
gaday all alot of posts but no one has polled. lol ;D ;D
have posted pic in tackle chat of upgraded slug. yet to try should work. lots of flash.
[smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=builder2.gif] [smiley=builder2.gif] [smiley=builder2.gif]
bugger it here it is .

TimNQ
11-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey rob do you reckon i can get something to show me how to make these. They look good eh.

Lucky_Phill
12-01-2004, 05:40 AM
The trouble with having a ' normal ' camera is you have to wait for the prints to find you *&^'ed up.

Working on better stuff.

Phill

DaneCross
12-01-2004, 07:38 AM
nice try phill...
after loosing around $30 worth of slugs to bite-offs, i'm getting serious about going into mackmauler slug manufacturing..

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Ok, nice looking slug Jamie, for those who wanted the pics of the slugs this should get you started, you can reinvent the wheel if you like, been there tried that, havnt come up with a better range than these. cheers rob

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
a

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
b

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:19 AM
c

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:21 AM
d

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:25 AM
e

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:26 AM
f

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
g

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
h

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
last one

Gorilla_in_Manila
12-01-2004, 09:44 AM
DC,
Just raid your old cheese's cutlery drawer for a few stainless steel bread and butter knives.
Cut it where blade meets handle. Shape the handle a bit, drill a hole in both ends; bingo, stainless slug.
Shape the blade a bit, put a bend in it about 1.5cm from the fat end, drill a hole in both ends; bingo, small bumpa bar.
;)
Cheers,
Jeff

DaneCross
12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks Jeff - i like the cheap n' easy option (like these mackmauler ones). Planning to give both of these a go.

Cheers Rob, nice pics - at least i know what theyre sposed to look like when i'm done.

NQCairns
12-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Just raid your old cheese's cutlery drawer for a few stainless steel bread and butter knives. #

Check out the local charity shop for SS butter knives spoons etc ;) 10 to 30 cents each :o

I will post a pic of some of my home mades when I find the camera.

Does the painted glitter actually work better than the old way of painting them white or red?

The stainless ball chain like nail clipper chain is the bomb for a home made skirt around a slug, when in the water they look so good i want to eat them [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Just file a channel around the sinker and trap the strands under the wire. The bubble trail is incredible also.
Great post. cheers nq

mackmauler
12-01-2004, 02:50 PM
NQ, the glitter is epoxied over the coat of white paint, how well they work is always one of those things that depends on many things, that combo is the best I have used.

michael_Brewer
04-02-2004, 07:58 PM
just bringin the post forward
cheers Mick

spike2
05-02-2004, 05:04 PM
ok after loosing eight slugs at $ 6.00 each l decided to give this mack slug making ago l call them the red eyes ;D just like me on a sunday morning , on the right of the pic is some lures l picked up during the week l have up graded the trebles . and l will be seeking major revenge on the macks that stolen my lures on monday night
have costed the home made lures and l recon they cost about one dollar and take about ten minutes each to make if they work they are definitely the way to go
cheers spike

DaneCross
05-02-2004, 05:23 PM
great work spike, any chance i can purchase a bunch from you at say, $1.50/lure?? ;)

snappa
05-02-2004, 05:33 PM
how does mackmauler get his lures long and skinny???

mackmauler
05-02-2004, 05:56 PM
snappa, its all thanks to a f###n big hammer ;)

SNELLY
06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
I just put them in my vice - also with the criss cross in the jaws it gives you a niece scale pattern as well

Slider
21-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Was a good slug before mackmauler turned it into a raider.

Make it fu$%^()* slide for christs sake!!

What do you think I'm telling you guys all this Sh!t for the sake of it?

Been there and done all of that many, many years ago and it doesn't work as well!!

propdinger
21-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Been there and done all of that many, many years ago and it doesn't work as well!!

dude i have caught nearly every species on both robs and phills slugs to say they dont work and we have ot follow your rules is abit rude isnt it?????

Billo
21-06-2006, 08:34 PM

BWAHHHHHHHHH .. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Proven slugs at f^&K all cost .
Nothing like a raider .
Sliders...... bogus crap ....we don't make slugs for tailor down here .
Thats called BAIT fishing ;D ;D ;D

Fishin_Dan
21-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm reminded of the scene where Bill & Ted step out of the phone booth and talk to themselves... ::)

straddie
21-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Come on you blokes don't try to confuse the issue with facts, just because they catch heaps of fish and cost next to nothing doesn't make them any good now does it ;D hehehehe

Gbanger
21-06-2006, 10:00 PM
NO WAY!!!

Fishin_Dan
21-06-2006, 10:10 PM
YES WAY!!!

Sportfish_5
21-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Cant beat the original Mackmauler Slugs - often imitated never matched ::)

Those that know ---- know ;)

Slider
21-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, what would I know? If you guys want to lose fish then that's your problem.
They (macmaulers)are the same as a raider/tailorbait or any other attached hook configuration and if you think that they somehow perform differently then you need to think seriously about your own assessment of what is expected from the lure you use.
Just because the Sliders outfish every other slug 10 to 1 around here doesn't make them any good of course. ::)
What the relationship to bait is I've got no idea Billo?

Not being rude - just trying to help.

Fishin_Dan
22-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Well, what would I know? If you guys want to lose fish then that's your problem.
They (macmaulers)are the same as a raider/tailorbait or any other attached hook configuration and if you think that they somehow perform differently then you need to think seriously about your own assessment of what is expected from the lure you use.
Just because the Sliders outfish every other slug 10 to 1 around here doesn't make them any good of course. ::)
What the relationship to bait is I've got no idea Billo?

Not being rude - just trying to help.

Slider - We're not saying that your slugs aren't good. To be honest, I've never used them, so I can't comment. All that's been said is that the Macmauler slugs have caught ALOT of good fish over many years, and have consistently pulled fish when other slugs didn't. Doesn't matter if they are the best out there or not, they have worked, still work, and will keep working in the future. Whether your slugs are better is irrelevant. Something that is tried & tested throughout the years will always stand teh test of time.

The fact that you wrote that they were f%&@#g terrible didn't really help your sales of sliders though.

Billo was making a joke about tailor being bait for big fish.

Not trying to be rude either mate, but pulling up a 2 year old post to write of something that works well, just got people's backs up.

Dan

Slider
22-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Dan,

I didn't pull the post up - it was presented in another post. I didn't say they were terrible either. But I do suggest that there are better ways. I could have gone about it in a better fashion I do agree and no doubt some alcohol content contributed there. And I must admit that the slugs at the price are far better than paying for a raider that performs no differently. Unfortunately, all of the slugs that are made in that manner have distinct performance limitations and the coral trout that I get on Sliders are probably not bait material Billo.
Sliders are no different from any other slug in attaining strikes, but I can guarantee that the number of dropped fish is significantly less than any other slug.
Sorry to cause offence guys.

Lindsay

MyWifeGaveMeCrabs
22-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Being someone that has given most types of slugs a go and gave your slider slugs a good on more then one occasion, I gotta say I'll stick with Rob's or Phill's slugs as at least they take more strikes. If you know how to fish your gear properly by using the right rod, line class and leader length.....dropping fish should not be a problem. If I was fishing slugs for dollies or billfish I might think sliders could come closer to the competion ;).
Cheers, Jay

land_based
22-06-2006, 03:12 AM
"MyWifeGaveMeCrabs" I found this funny at 3 in the morning.

theoldlegend
22-06-2006, 03:39 AM
I think I'd be asking a few questions if my wife gave me crabs.

TOL

Fishin_Dan
22-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I think I'd be asking a few questions if my wife gave me crabs.

TOL

Not if they were nice big full muddies ;)

Billo
22-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Not sure about this ' lost fish ' #ratio you speak of .
I rarely lose fish I hook up on with any sort of slug …wether it be sea rocks , raiders or MackMauler slugs.

If correct hooks are used for line class ( yes there is such thing as an appropriate hook for each line class ) and you only use good quality sharp hooks, #then you should not drop many at all . I would probably drop 1 in 50 hook ups on average…..but maybe that is because I use 4lb chasing 10kg + tuna .

A lure Is only as good as the technique applied, #If you are having issues with hook up ratios on that style slug, maybe it is your technique that is failing and not the lure itself.

Dogbream
22-06-2006, 06:20 PM
BANG ON BILLO!

by the way, theirs only one way to catch tailor

on a ganged pilly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slider
24-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I appreciate what you are saying guys re technique and certainly droppage rates depend greatly on the species. However after using a wide variety of attached hook slugs for many, many years prior to making our first slider, I have been able to compare very well the different performance levels of the two types of lures on dif species. If I had been content with the other lures I would never have made the slider. And it's not only my experiences that played a role here. I do still on occasions use other lures for some species in some situations as the sliders haven't fitted the bill. But I find that for the majority of the time that there are no problems in attaing strikes with an appropriately sized slider used in an appropriate fashion. And there is no way myself and a heap of other people I know would use anything other than a slider for tailor. No technique issues here, is a simple case of them being able to throw attached hook lures and particularly the heavier ones.
The bit that struck me with the mackmaulers was the amount of effort in putting the wires in when it seems unnecessary. Wouldn't it be easier to leave it as a slider in it's original format and dress it up as shown? Would this lure not perform identically to the wired version and have added benefits of strength due to no wire? Would this version not then give you the added benefit also of then sliding as well for those species such as tailor, salmon, mahi mahi, bill fish and queenfish that do leap and headshake? Just seems like a lot of trouble for no added benefit.
I have always encouraged people to make their own sliders if they have the means and some may recall that I have a post in this section of how to do so.

Lindsay

Lucky_Phill
24-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Lindsay, very interesting reading all of the above.

So since I make the slugs, I should have a say ???

I like the idea of the ' slider '. Makes sense for certain species, IMO.

The original mackmauler slugs were just that, designed for mackerel and in particular, Spottie Mackerel. People were tired of gettin bitten of by these toothy critters and losing 6-8$ lures/ slugs.

It was figured out that, when a " raider' ....' toby'.... etc hit the water in a school of feeding spotties, that type of lure, ' fluttered ' or ' skipped ' on the surface before sinking and being retrieved, hence getting bitten off on the ' flutter ". The mackmauler does not flutter, it hits the water at speed and bullet like. It is encouraged to return the bail arm of your eggbeater / spinner once you see the slug hit the water, and crank fast, really fast, imediately. This only allows the Spotties to attack the slug from behind. This was really evident in the following two scenerios.

I took Webby and Craigie to Hervey Bay a couple of years ago to enlighten them to the wonders of the bay and to get amongst some of the best Spottie fishing around. Craigies first 5 casts realised 5 bite off's, as he was using Raider type lures, I gave him the mackmauler to try. He never lost that slug and not only bagged out but, but had some C & R fun. At that stage his lure loss cost was $30 plus and the ' original ' mackmauler cost was under $1.

Now, the following year, myself and mate form the bay, did some serious slug testing with the improved variety, over the summer Xmas hols. 200 plus Spotties and only 4 lost slugs.

I should be selling these to the pros up there that are still using Toby's and regulary lose up to 15 per day gettin there 150 Quota !!!

These slugs are NEVER attached by wire ( trace ).

The mould I use to make the slugs will not accomadate a" slider " type effect. There is NO " effort " putting the wires in, as they just get placed in the mould, then lead is poured. I must make mention of the ' serious ' fish these slugs have taken. 20kg plus Amberjack jigged off wrecks up Central Queensland way. The species list that these have worked on has gone nutters.

BUT< I hear you, Lindsay, regarding the jumping species of fish. I will admit to having a slug or two " disconnect " from a fish inside the boat and on one such occasion, said disconnected slug ended up attached to a forehead of a certain lycra wearing, slug making, moderating Ausfisher ::) ::) :o :o 8-) :-X

I regulary use the slugs off the rocks at Waddy Point, Fraser, much to the dismay of the bait fishos there. They get Dart after Dart, and silly me, nails only Tailor. I do however, make the slugs in 10, 20, 30 , 40 65 and 85 gm models. The 10 and 20 gm ones are great for Bonito and Dart, as you'll have to use light mono and gear.

Cheers Phill

dfox
25-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Ive done an awful lot of fishing using metal and lead type slugs and lures for mostly macks, and i agree that phill's work as good as any. In saying that phill my catch to loss ratio isnt anywhere near as good as your 200-4 ;D but i'll work on it and try and improve mate!
These sliders may have there place chasing tailor (something ive never done) but i fail to see any adventage in that system or form of lure on school and spotted macks? Is there something im missing lindsay? because sliders for this style of fishing would seem to me to promote more bight off's from other unhooked fish in the school? ...foxy

Slider
25-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Foxy,

I don't believe that there are problems associated with other fish hitting the lure when it is sliding. At Teewah we all use sliders for spotties and as long as we use a short piece of wire, then there are no probs at all. Spotties of course don't require the same sliding motion that is necessary for tailor as they are not a leaping and headshaking fish. So we use a length of wire not much longer than the slug to avoid the hooked fish biting us off and to prevent the lure getting far enough away from the hooked fish to allow other fish to hit it. Other fish won't hit a lure or sinker that is close to the hooked fishs' mouth due to potential damage to themselves from the panicked hooked fishs' teeth. Once the lure or sinker is more than probably 20 - 25cm away from the hooked fishs' mouth then it would appear to be a target. I learnt this from our days of fishing for spaniards off the beach with baits in the 70's and 80's.
Although the advantages of using sliders are less when playing tuna, mackerel etc then they would be with tailor etc, there is still a benefit in that any headshaking effect will be reduced. Cobia is a fish that I have noticed distinct advantages with the sliders when the fish surfaces close to the boat and headshakes dramatically. Tuna aren't as bad in that sense but again any reduced impact from any headshake particularly when there is little length of cushioning line out, has to be advantageous and is. There are absolutely no dramas of other fish busting up when fishing for tailor with 30 - 40cm of wire length. Any body who would suggest otherwise simply doesn't know what they are talking about. I would suggest that any experienced angler should imagine in their own mind the forces that are at work when playing a fish. Picture what the lure is doing and understand the physics that play a role with the different species that can be targeted with slugs. Logic will tell you that a weighty slug being thrown around by the fish increases the likelihood of being thrown especially with poor hook positioning. The suggestion that my technique is at fault is both offensive given my experience levels and incorrect given the pure logic associated. Check out 'Beach Bliss' from April reports, just as one only example to see whether sliders work on different species. I guess the proof is always in the pudding.

Lucky_Phill
25-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Dave, that 200-4 was an exceptional summer. Not that long ago out the front here at Agnes, I done 3 slugs on 12 fish. Dirty great macks, but I think...know, the reason was other macks were hitting the slug hanging out of the mouth of the hooked specimen. The mongrels were think as thieves.

Might make you a deal, Lindsay, I'll send you a couple of slugs and you pop a slider into the mail for me ? are you up for it ?

I am always keen to try new products, places and methods.

Up here we mainly spin off the rocks for Schoolies, Spotties, Spanish, Queenies, Mack Tuna, Trevally and ocassionally someone will nail a Black Marlin.

Cheers Phill

Slider
25-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Phill,

Better still mate, I'll drop some in to you when I head up there. Pretty sure that will be in the next few weeks. You are at Agnes aren't you? Hoping to kill a few birds while I'm there and see Tony and obviously fish a bit. Will be boatless so other than Roundhill and Deepwater, my fishing will be a little restricted unless you guys can help a little there. ;)

Linds

dfox
26-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your reply lindsay, i look forward to phill's opinion of them after some on water tests...

Lucky_Phill
26-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, Lindsay, I am up here until about OCT.

NO boat hey, I am sure we can fix that little problem ;)

I will give you the results Dave.

0419 020 697.

Nissan in the pic and ' ausfish.com.au ' signwriting on the boat. See you here.

Cheers Phill

banshee
26-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Some of the locals around here have been replacing the treble on the raider type lures with a single circle, seems to cut down on the amount of fish that rid themselves of the lure,without adversly affecting the hookup rate.

webby
26-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Doesnt matter what slug you use, if its the right size with a good vmc treble or single and retreived at the best speed, and the spotties are hungry they'll take it.
Too much properganda and sales pitch around as to who makes the best slugs. they all work.
regards

Burley_Boy
26-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I get the headshaking and physics stuff, isn't that why all deepwater jigs are connected with a short bit of flexible kevlar or whatever that bit of string is...?