PDA

View Full Version : Baitcaster braid, techniques & other questions

Sea-Dog
26-06-2006, 06:33 PM
G'day, I have searched a bit thru past posts about braid and baitcasters.

One brand of braid that came up a bit was Fins.
Would one of the Fins braids be suitable for flicking slugs and plastics up to about 30g.
Any other recommended brands?

One of my new baitcasters is a Shimano Coriolis CO-100E on a 6-8Kg rod.
The other is an Abu Ambassadeur 1003-LP on the 4-6Kg rod.
Both rods 5'6" in length.

They were both purchased from a large variety store for less than $120 for the lot. (During a 25% off sale) Is that price reasonable? :-?

I am a first-timer with baitcasters, but seem to be getting the hang of short (10-15 Metre) casts (in the back yard) without causing major birdnests.

I do have the magnetic brake on max so far. I will leave it that way a little longer until my confidence improves.

Is braid more difficult to cast with than limp mono?

One more question - is the best way to cast using a baitcaster to start with the rod held pointing slightly up from level in front of you to aim with, then a quick flick back, then forward - releasing whilst the rod is pretty much directly overhead.

I suppose that I should then point the rod at the spot I'm aiming at too?

Any other tips that are screaming out to be told?

So many questions....

Cheers, Sea-Dog

Craigus
26-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Sea-Dog,

I posted braid for baitcasters post not long ago and i'm sure your read it. IMO braid is great to cast and I have had no problems with it so far.

Here is a site that shows you baitcaster technique. Hope it makes sense and helps
http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm

Cheers
Craig

Sea-Dog
26-06-2006, 10:34 PM
You don't really hold your rod sideways like he does in the demo do you? :-?

Man that looks weird!!! :o

Sea-Dog
26-06-2006, 10:36 PM
For those who don't want to follow the link, here is the pic in question.

Craigus
26-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I do.

I don't know why though, it just feels more comfortable that way.

I also tend to flick my wrist downwards, and when holding the rod straight I find that I cannot flick my wrist as much. Wheras if the rod is sideways you can have more mobility in your wrist and get a better flick.

Anyway It does not matter if the rod is sideways, because the line will still come off the reel the same.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Craig

Big_Ren
27-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Sea Dog

Hold the rod with the handles of the baitcaster pointing upwards and not to the right (if you're right-handed). You will get far more control and far less of a problem with birds nests. Also use the cast control knob on the reel and adjust it so that when your lure is near the rod tip and you take your thumb off the spool (after you've depressed the free spool lever), the lure should fall steadily to the ground (not like a rock). Once that is under control, you can then adjust your magnetic casting dial and your drag.

Hope this helps.
Paul ;)