PDA

View Full Version : How far can you cast a SP?

freddyfish
28-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Gday all'

Bought a cheapie baitcaster and put some 6lb fireline on it. Using 1/16 or 1/8 jighead and a 3" sp but can't seem to cast it very far from the tinnie. Maybe only 20-30ft . Is this normal for fishing with soft plastics? So used to throwing baits with a sinker its hard to get used to fishing with no weght. Did manage to catch a small flattie with a sguidgie tho. Have attached the jighead straight onto the fireline. Should I have a leader as well?

Cheers Brad

snakecatcher
28-06-2006, 04:30 PM
It is easier to cast light weights if you use a threadline (eggbeater) reel rather than a baitcaster - if you switch across to a threadline and use a 6ft 6 or 7 foot light rod you should find your casting distance improves a lot. I would definitely use a leader, fluorocarbon or mono, about a metre long. Various knots can be used for the leader but I tend to tie a double in the fireline (or braid) using a bimini twist and then use a albright to tie the mono leader onto that - these knots slip through the runners easily so won't impede your casting.

Good luck with it

Mike

Craigus
28-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Brad,

SP fishing is tough and takes a bit of practice but it will work if you persevere. For starts use a flurocarbon leader attacted to you fireline and the the jighead to the flurocarbon.

The reason for the lack of casting distance may be the baitcaster. I have found that one can cast further with a spinning reel compared to a baitcaster. This is becaus line comes off a spinning reel easier.

Do you need to cast more than 20-30ft?
How far do you need to cast?
You should be able to get a cast where you want when your on the tinny though?

This site may also help with setting up your baitcaster for best use too.
http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm

Hope this helps.
Craig

beefaman
28-06-2006, 05:03 PM
A threadline reel will definatley improve your casting distance, as will a 7 foot rod.
I use fluorocarbon leader, and the general rule is around a rod length ;)

TheSaint
28-06-2006, 10:08 PM
sell the baitcaster & get nice 7ft rod with nice spinning reel size 1000-2500 & tie 60cm to 2m leader to that fireline 4lb-12lb even take your fireline down to 4lb & that will get you the distance you need or want..

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-06-2006, 10:15 AM

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-06-2006, 10:18 AM
... ##So used to throwing baits with a sinker its hard to get used to fishing with no weght. #...

i conceded defeat, applied a bit of good ol' aussie ingenuity and do all my soft plastic work with this new jig head I'm developing now - casts like a dream. # ;)

chris

on the serious side of things - a long rod will help. Use a spinning reel, you don't need the expensive ones there are Shimanos for $20 in bargain bins that are just fine for SP work. And those cheap shimanos often have those easy-cast triggers on the spool that makes repetitive casting easier. Load the reel to the max. Cast with no less than 50cm of dropper from the tip and give the plastic air keeping the rod tip pointing along the direction of the line as it feeds out.
Once you've put a good cast in use it to the max. Don't bring the plastic in too quick.

freddyfish
29-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Chris Got a great laugh from that one. I got a 7ft pfluegur soft plastics rod from annaconda and put a shimano 1500 sedona reel on it so can't wait to try it waih a sp. Thanks everyone for the advice

Cheers
Brad

BrandonH
29-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Good points everyone but how often do you guys actually cast more than 30 foot from a boat?? most of my plastic casting is between 10 and 20 foot max!! (this is for Bream, Jack, Flathead) I guess on the shallow reefs i cast futhure but your not actualy aiming for that 2inch gap between the tree branches :P!!

Cheers
Brandon...

PS: easier aiming with a dogs di#k reel compaired to the baitcasters too ;)

TinarooTriumph
29-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Brandon, can i ask what size rod you are using? And its casting weight aswell... that sounds like the problem.

A dogs weena's reel aye ;D *shakes head*

Theo 8-)

freddyfish
29-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey Brandon when and where did you do the dogs d#ck/ baitcaster comparison test!!

Brad

BrandonH
29-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Lol dogs di#k reel = egg better #:P surly someone here has hear that b4 :-? It came from some fisher folk I know that only ever use to use alveys ;D ;D ;D

Anyways when I first started using lures and plastics I got an abu5000c and a uglystick 4 weight rod. It use to work fine casting medium sized lures but if I wanted to cast a light plastic or small hard body I couldn’t get consistent accurate casts or good distance either. after awhile I decided to get myself a nice little combo with braid for fishing very light gear. I have also tried the bait caster since with braid and had no better success (Lightest lure I could cast well was the manns streach5+). I do also have 2 barra/bottom bashing/Mac chasing combos that have 50lb braid on abu 6500c3 and c4 reels. These are great for casting the big lures for Barra and heavy slugs ;)

A graphite rod for the baitcaster and a lot of practice might get you constant accurate casts but I have used them b4 with barra lures and found little difference in the casting between a good graphite rod and my 8kg uglystick ;) Maybe it was the weight of the bigger lure i don't know but graphite is a LOT lighter but i got scared of breaking dads expencive one I was using on the big faust barra!!!! so changed back to my uglystick :-[

My current light combo is a 6'6 rack raider 3-4 weight I think with a stradic2500 and 10 or 14lb fireline and about a metre of Vanish of varying strengths. Usually use a 1/20th jighead flicking for bream and up to about 1/8th or a little more for the squire on the shallow reefs out the front. I would like a 7' light rod one of these days as it will get me better distance from the beach when chasing flathead but i don't have much of a problem fishing like this now with the 6'6. I think a quality rod and reel helps alot though.

Cheers
Brandon…

TinarooTriumph
29-06-2006, 08:58 PM
A quality rod and reel sure does help mate ;D . All of us can vow for that.

Yer all my light rods (3) are all 7' Outmark Pro-targets. I use to use 6'6 Shimano Techniums but i wasnt getting the casting distance i wanted, so i opted for a rod with a bit more length and a few more guides. I found i can cast heaps more with the extra length on the stick and the guides allow me to cast more accurately.

So your current light combo is the raider/stradic? Dont quote me on this, but your main line might be too heavy, and your leader too long. You can still cast ok with a 6'6, no need to go out and get a new 7', but i think your line might be the trouble :-? .

Theo 8-)

BrandonH
29-06-2006, 09:13 PM
No real problems Theo ;) just on occasions when fishing from the bank I want to cast long and don't quite make my mark using a light jighead. My dad has a 6'6 and a 7'2 Tcurve, I have used them both and agree that you get more distance form the 7' rod, at the time the 6'6 was easier to carry in the canoe I started fishing out. I really need a backup light combo anyways ::)

I know alot of people on here think i am crazy using 10 or 14lb for my light plastic fishing but i figure most of my casts are hard up in the snags and that is where most of the hookups happen. I have lost way too many really good fish using 8lb braid so now I like having the extra strength there to drag the fish outa the snag for a a fairer fight ;) my leaders i use range from 8-20lb depending on where and what i am fishing for and a metre is MAX trace length, the knot often goes into the guides when casting but I tie a prety tight double uni that flows like silk ::) :P

cheers N tight lines
Brandon..