PDA

View Full Version : Your worst piece of tackle

BigE
25-06-2006, 12:52 PM
just thought I'd make a post for those who nothing good to say ;D What is the most useless good for nothing Bit of tackle you have every been conned into buying (please note #all lady ausfisher this thread is suppose to be about fishing tackle! but what the hell if you got a good one it will make the thread intresting)

Regards

BigE

PS mine was a packet of fine wire hooks some of em even broke & bent on whiting.

snakecatcher
25-06-2006, 02:12 PM
My worst purchase was bying cheap rods and reels when I first started getting seriously into fishing - none have lasted long and I should have spent more on getting decent gear.

TinarooTriumph
25-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Worst purchase... Viva Orion rods... dont buy them. Brought one a few months ago, looked like a nice little responsive rod, gave it a little flex... no drama's mate i will take it i said at the local tackle shop. Didnt use it for 2 months... then later, go to get it rigged up down at the Johnstone river going for Sooties, mate said 'Nice rod mate' whilst he was checking it out, went to flex it a little.... SNAP! Flexed it just the tinniest bit and SNAP. Watched him while he did it... lucky i had packed the telescopic Daiwa in my backpack just incase!.

The rod had snaped just above the 1st guide... it was a 2 peice rod... but had snapped just after the insert point. Went back and told the guy at the tackle shop what had happened... 'Oh no thats not possible, those rods are graphite Theo'. Showed him the flimsy timber rod, while he looked in horror. 'Thats the last time i deal with Viva rods' he exclamied. Peice of $hit ;D .

Theo 8-)

nigelr
25-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Gillmaster 5'6" light spin 2 piece.
Within 2 weeks was a 3 piece!
POS if you ask me!
My son didn't agree at the time but he does now, seeing as he bought it, poor sucka!
Cheers!

fishingbarry
25-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Plastic scaler to get me through as it was all that I could get at the time.

Bushbasher
25-06-2006, 07:59 PM
My worst buy was just a few weeks ago actually. It was a Tica 8' "Nibble Tip Extreme" which was supposed to be carbon fibre according to the label on the butt but half an hour after I paid for it ($99) it snapped above the first joint while trying to land an admittedly bigger fish than it was designed for but it was rated 4-8lb and was loaded with 6lb line. Regardless of the circumstances the rod shouldn't have let go before the line IMO plus what was supposed to be a carbon stick was nothing more than a carbon butt with a hollow glass mid section and solid glass tip. I took it back and swapped it for a 7' Wilson Heritage. A little heavier maybe but there ain't no way it'll break, that's for sure, ;) :)

imnotoriginal
26-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I bought some of the surecatch poppers just prior to my last Moreton Island trip, as I kew the trevally had been popping off the surface. The smaller ones I tried were useless, only popped when the lure was facing directly forward. This was as opposed to the el cheapo outback lures from Big W, which cost less than $4 each and were great, hooked more than their fair share of trevors over the week and popped virtually every time. Will stick with the cheapo's for now.
Joel

marlinqld
27-06-2006, 05:46 AM
A surecatch reel that lasted one cast then didnt work anymore.

Nic
27-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I was once given a cheap Tackleback copy which had a loop that was too wide to catch on anything. I was meant to write a review on it but there was nothing good to say about it, so I gave it to a friend who makes his own sinkers. He melted it down and nowadays it bumps along the reefs off Gladstone. :)

schrammy79
27-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Jarvis walker kids tackle combo,gave one to my son for Christmas to get into fishing lasted one cast and the reel broke, now has Shakespear durango combo and doesnt miss a beat.

davo
29-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Tica rubbish. On a quiet day you can hear them corrode.

ShnogDog
29-06-2006, 11:19 PM
not mine.. didnt buy it..but witnessed a mates ELCHEAPO rear drag reel almost ctach fire and explode after hooking a Longtail off the pier in Hervey Bay... we tried to warn him, but he didnt care .. and laughed just as hard as we did as his reel rapidly became a smouldering, empty and useless piece of gawdy plastic. ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I was once given a cheap Tackleback copy which had a loop that was too wide to catch on anything. I was meant to write a review on it but there was nothing good to say about it, so I gave it to a friend who makes his own sinkers. He melted it down and nowadays it #bumps along the reefs off Gladstone. :)

and therein lies a major problem with commercial reviews, willingness to be critical of a sponsor. I think I gave Heath a thankyou a while back for an article in BnB when he called a spade a spade.

Mine worst would be those stupid painted hooks that Kmart stocked under the Rex Hunt label. The paint effectively blunted them, so when you you sharpened the tip to expose the metal that paint started to fall off ...

most expensive ... custom cast net - it really hurts to rip $200 out of an underwater tree. The factory made $50 I have now seems to work just as well with some extra lead added.

chris

Matthias
05-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Lol Davo. ;D ;D

Okuma Inspira...POS.

Pete.

Nic
06-07-2006, 07:57 AM
I was once given a cheap Tackleback copy which had a loop that was too wide to catch on anything. I was meant to write a review on it but there was nothing good to say about it, so I gave it to a friend who makes his own sinkers. He melted it down and nowadays it bumps along the reefs off Gladstone. :)

and therein lies a major problem with commercial reviews, willingness to be critical of a sponsor.

chris

I'm sure that does happen in some publications. :( In this case, however, the supplier wasn't an advertiser, I just didn't want to waste space reviewing such a dodgy knock-off. I do agree with you though, that tackle reviews should discuss both the pros and the cons of a product.

bearclaw
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
This is an easy one to answer. " ME"

Black_Rat
06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
just thought I'd make a post for those who nothing good to say #;D What is the most useless good for nothing Bit of tackle you have every been conned into buying (please note #all lady ausfisher this thread is suppose to be about fishing tackle! but what the hell if you got a good one it will make the thread intresting)

Regards

BigE

PS mine was a packet of fine wire hooks some of em even broke & bent on whiting.
Was at the boat show two years ago conned myself into buying a two year subscription to BnB, best investment i've made #;) but only got three months to go on the subscription #:(
Same time got conned into buying a U buet knife sharpener for for a lazy lobster ($20) #;D
What a joke ! used it once & now its in the bottom of the tackle box were it belongs ! #;D

MagicRik
06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
The most stupid thing ive got is my Eco gear HB lures a FS40 and a FS48 i paid over $20 for each one and i wont use them in case i lose them :-?
I know how stupid is that

Rik

Randy_Kickass
10-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Some of the early Braid lines and the first of the fluro leaders

slyman
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I've bought some of those squidgie jigheads, the ones with the ball sinker, and a few times now, while replacing a half eaten plastic, I've managed to snap the hook clean off with my own two hands. Imagine how pissed off you'd be if you had something big on the line, to feel it snap, then reel it in only to find the head? I certainly wouldn't be chuckling like bushy does in the dvds.

Hey rik, true, if you never use them you'll never lose them, but you'll also never get to see what they'll catch. I know what its like to lose expensive stuff, I've watched gear go flying off in the distance due to crap knot tying, which is far worse than losing it in the water.

revs57
12-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Swano's Noodle Rod...but I guess its always good for a laugh!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Smailesy
12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
long time ago i got a great deal i thought . I got a few reals from someone at the markets never saw the guy again and the reals didnt even last a trip

insolent
13-07-2006, 03:25 PM
This should be no surprise to anyone a Piranha freebie rod. The 15kg spin jig snapped before use, we were just looking at the bend. A rat king would have smashed it to bits, the guides have a warranty pity about the rod.

gogecko
13-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Some of those bargain bin lures that I bought without understanding what they were used for, duh. Now they just sit at home and look at me, still unused. maybe we should start a new thread 'whats this lure used for?'
hmmmm....

cheers
Andrew

timbacutta
13-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Signature lures, cheap and nasty and couldn't get them to swim no matter what adjustments I did. >:( Should have stuck to my favourite saying. I was just caught at a moment of weakness.

Jeff.

barfly
13-07-2006, 06:35 PM
a el cheapo yabbie pump 3 days into a 3 week fishing trip the top fell out and the whole thing fell apart .there wasnt a tackle shop around so i had to keep rebuilding the thing for a while. in the end i drove 100 ks to buy one.i convreted it into a spud cannon a least its good for blasting crows now .. cheers barfly