PDA

View Full Version : Whats your choice of hooks?

lazy
14-07-2006, 03:57 PM
For myslf, i reckon Owner hooks are the best!
I normally get them online...
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fishinghookz

What about u guys?

dfox
14-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah , owner are one of the best for sure, but for day to day work i use mustards...foxy

TinarooTriumph
14-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Usually I get Mustad's, they are tough, sharp and at a pretty good price. But If Im doing well for cash I'll go out and get some Gamakatsu's. Might be a little (or alot) dearer then other brands, but they've got all the attributes Mustad have, but 10 times better.

TT 8-)

finding_time
14-07-2006, 04:24 PM
for offshore i like Owner 7/0 circles but at 1.50 per hook the wallet doesn't like them at all !!!!Still when you add up the total cost of a fishing trip why not use hooks that you have confidence in!

seatime
14-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Owners seem to be much cheaper and a larger range online, probably the best. Otherwise Gamakatsu, and Mustard you can get at K-mart and Big W.

kingcobe
14-07-2006, 06:14 PM
my dad ( kingtin) uses gamakatsu hooks he thinks there one of the best hooks around because they are really strong.

frenzy
14-07-2006, 06:42 PM
tru turn hooks ganged with 64lb shogun swivels they are awesome

Kenny
14-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Mustard is definitely good. Hot english mustard.

Gbanger
14-07-2006, 07:01 PM
gama oshaugnessy's

bidkev
14-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Like JJ said, I use gamakatsu. Always used mustad till I gave gammys a go and I'm surprised at just how good they are...strong, sharp, and keep their edge with little or no rusting. After half a dozen trips they can still prick into a nail without being sharpened up.......I'm totally converted having seen how even a size 8 can hold a 3 metre noah.

They've just put a size 5 ganging hook into a certain mart that shall go un-named and at 17bucks for 50 they must either be priced up wrong (same size octupus is 30 bucks) or not be in the same class as the other models. I did notice when closing the eyes that they closed very easily so I hope this is not a "soft spot".

I'll take some convincing that there's a beter hook on the market than gamakatsu.

kev

griz066
14-07-2006, 07:52 PM
mustard and gammagatsu for me

Feral
14-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Usually I get Mustad's, they are tough, sharp and at a pretty good price. But If Im doing well for cash I'll go out and get some Gamakatsu's. Might be a little (or alot) dearer then other brands, but they've got all the attributes Mustad have, but 10 times better.

TT 8-)
I've found little difference between the two at my local tackle shop, but that probably means he is just stiffing me for the mustads!

Cheech
14-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Offshore I use 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu circles. Could go smaller, but if a fish cannot get there mouth around that size, I don't want it anyway ;D Have tried owner and they were good also.

In the bay I use Mustad light guage usually.

Cheech

Blackened
14-07-2006, 09:57 PM
G'day
Gamagatsu occy circles and gangster.
Dave

mickey7
15-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Gamagatsu Octapus circles.

cheers

Tony_N
15-07-2006, 07:24 AM
All you guys who use circle hooks #How are you fishing? #Do you fish without striking? #Are you talking about handlines on the reef for fish like trout? Circles are great for that because the trout grab and run straight back to the reef and hook themselves in so doing. So if you are holding your bait firmly #a foot or so above the reef you are less likely to get bricked. They are obviously also great for C and R because they tend to lip hook rather than throat or gut hook the fish.

#I believe that if you strike with circles you pull the hook out of the fishes mouth. After fishing with a rod for so many years and getting my strike pretty much right for my target fish I think I'd find it hard to avoid striking.

I'd be very interested to know how people use these hooks and for what fish

Tony

seatime
15-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Only used circles for the first time recently. They worked well with the snapper in 60-70m, as they moved off swallowing the bait they took up the belly in the line. We used handlines and struck as we normally would and each one came up hooked in the mouth. Would work the same with a rod I reckon.
Floating is a different matter and we used gangs.

nigelr
16-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Although a Gama fan, I have found myself returning to Mustad for some of my hooks ie
Snapper fishing offshore, rod in holder style - Mustad Demon circles 8/0
Ditto with floating whole pilchards - 2 hook rig on 50lb Platinum trace - 2/0 keeper hook thru nose, 7/0 thru body - Mustad Penetrators
Beach at night with whole squid - Gamakatsu Suicide 10/0 plus 2/0 keeper hook
Cheers.