PDA

View Full Version : Which type of Spotters lens

Knackers
16-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi folks,
I've decided to upgrade my shades and have chosen to go with the Spotters with the glass lens #.However I am undecided as to which colour lens,ie photochromatic, blue, bronze,gray etc and would like fellow fishermen/women's feedback regarding which type you have found most suitable for the following purposes.
I fish:
Landbased in the surf for tailor dart,bream and whiting.
In saltwater rivers and estuaries using bait and flicking soft plactics from the land and tinnie.
I also want them for driving and general purpose use, however their main function WILL BE FOR FISHING. :-/
thanks Knackers
# # # # #

NeilD
16-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I have found the Penetrator lens to be great for everything. They are photochromatic bronze sort of colour.

Neil

Robbo_Townsville
16-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I have had the penetrator lenses now for about three years and they seem to be good in just about all conditions due to the photochramatic lens.

Robbo_Townsville
16-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Forgot to mention they are the browny coloured lens.

Blackened
16-07-2006, 03:37 PM
G'day
I have a set of rapids with the grey lens. I personally don't like the brown lenses as the colours are all distorted. I cannot fault my glasses one bit and their after sales service is excellent. One major tip aswell, go and do yourelf a favour and get a quality lanyard for them. This saves broken lenses :)
Dave

iank
16-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Also have the penetrator lens, photochromatic in bronze, use these for driving and all estary /freshwater fishing, and have a set of grey lens mako's for offshorework.
Cheers Ian

warrior
16-07-2006, 07:52 PM
got the bronze lens great in the darker days as they make things brighter,had makos for eight years but kept delaminating in the lenses,had great service from mako but also had some good comments on the spotters and no delaminating yet ,they have been around in the usa for a long time so should be proven.

Rod_Bender
16-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I have the photochromatic type and have enjoyed spotting fish and structure with ease. I find using them on the water provides a huge advantage for seeing/catching fish and bait. I use to own a set of Mako's, however, they didn't allow me to see through the shallow parts of the water at all. People's eye's are all different though.

Blackened
16-07-2006, 10:17 PM
G'day
I'll just add that spotters are aussie made and owned. Gotta be a good point. I have eyes that are due for surgery (cerateconus) i think thats how u spell it. and these are good enough for me they're good enough for anyone.
Dave

Tony_N
17-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I have the penetrators (photochromatic bronze) and I they are great for fishing where there is mixed shade and sunlight - like in shady creeks etc. however, they are just a bit underpowered for my eyes in full sunlight offshore. I would prefer darker lenses for offshore work

Tony

ShaneJ
18-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I have 2 sets of Spotters now and I dont wear either of them :(
The first pair I bought were the Penetrator glass lenses in the Sandy frames. I found the same as Tony, they didnt stop nearly enough sun light for my liking and I also found them to slip down my nose.
The second pair I bought were the Grey glass lenses in the Onyx frames. I found these lenses much better for my eyes blocking out more nasty sunlight then the Penetrators. Unfortunately again I found them to slip down my nose allowing light in over the top.
I've come to the conclusion that its the extra weight in the glass lenses that makes them slip down as I have never had this problem with my Oakleys and plastic lenses :-/
So my question for you fellow fishos is, have any of you tried Spotters with either the CR-39 Resin or Polycarbonate lenses?

Blackened
18-07-2006, 07:50 PM
G'day
I agree with the weight of the glass lenses, but that's why you need a frame that will suit your head down to the wire. Failing this, get a lanyyard for them.... also stops them coming off and smashing. After going glass lenses I'd never go to anything else, the vision through glass is just too good.
Dave

ShaneJ
18-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I've tried lots of different frames but mix the weight of the glass lenses and some sweat, and they slip right off.
I was going to try a lanyard, but I am wanting to find a pair of all round sunglasses, so in daily use I wouldn't be wanting to wear the lanyard.
Can I ask what sunglasses you have tried that weren't glass? With good quality lenses you would never be able to notice any difference between glass and plastic vision wise.

griz066
18-07-2006, 10:09 PM
After loosing one pair of Makos and one pair of Spotters over board $400 total >:(s
I have just bought a pair of Mangrove Jacks for $40 :)
If I loose them it don't hurt the wallet so much :'(

Blackened
19-07-2006, 05:20 PM
G'day
I was up at DFO today, and bright eyes now has a little shop there. They have spotters at 30% off and other cheaper glasses like fish and mangrove jacks for 40% and 50% off.
Dave

wessel
20-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Not in line with your original question, but have you tried Maui Jims?
They make a titanium framed model that a m8 of mine wears when he waterski, and they just dont fall of his face when he stacks it.

I use a pair of glass lensed ones, grey. Excellent for offshore and driving in the desert. They are a bit heavy though I must say. Not too sure how much they cost down under either.

Wess

mangajack
23-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I have been using spotters sunnies for about a dozen yrs now

The first pair i owned were photochromatic in a brown lens fully polarized..... awesome glasses they lasted a good 10 yrs before one fo the arms broke off thru the hinge lugs.

The second pair i bought were the penetrator bronze photochromatic polarized lenses......they are not a patch on the originals too dark and give things a red tinge they are still good glasses as far as fishing specs but do not try and see way deep into the depths with them they wont let you and will give you eyestrain.

I put ly original lenses into the new frames and use them now
I also emailed spotters back and told them they were too dark compared to the originals.

they will last a very long time tho 10 yrs with use almost every day and only one scratch gotta say something for thier quality

jack

Spaniard_King
23-07-2006, 08:16 PM
been down the mako, sportz optics and even Raybanz ::)

I too like others have settles with the cheaper Mangrove Jacks :-? really good for the price

cheers

Garry

ancienttinnie
23-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Have had Spotters for over 6 years in 3 different lenses, and foud different light and water needs different lenses. I now use the gold mirror penetrator and find them to be the best all round lense I have used, use them for every day driving etc. as well. Best money I have spent of shades. I also own a pair of serengeti drivers that aren't as good and cost more.

Knackers
27-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry for the late reply people, and thanks for all your help and advice.
Once again the invaluable experiences of fellow fishos has helped narrow down my choice and made my decision easier. It looks like the photochromatics in a bronze are the way to go. Once again thanks for your input.
I don't 'spose anyone knows who is doing the best price on them at present?
Hooroo Knackers :)

2DKnBJ
28-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Knackers and anyone who is interested

I can do these lenses and any other lenses at wholesale prices along with some frames.
Can be made as plano or prescription lenses.

The prices below are for CR 39(plastic)

The frames are Mako wrap around metal in grey or brown.
With the following lenses.
plain polarised grey or brown $170.00
prescription polarised grey or brown $190.00
If you have your own frames the lenses are$60.00 or $80.00.

There is also a new lens that has just been released that i am trying ATM.
The lens is called DRIVEWEAR.
It is CR39 Polarised transition lenses that are a yellow/brown in low light then change to a darker red /brown in bright light.
Have not yet tried them on the water but will let you know what they are like when i do.

If anyone is in need of lenses send me a PM and i will get you prices for your particular lenses.

Cheers Dazza

pipebender
29-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I've got the penetrator (bronze kinda colour) It does distort colours a little, but that doesn't take away from it's KILLER optics

hussy
29-07-2006, 08:38 PM
dont buy the dear ones i find the mid range ones are just as good ,and if you drop them overboard , you wont cry for a week , like you would if you dropped the dearies in the piss. hubby