PDA

View Full Version : Removing 5" wood butt - surf rod ???

BRETT72
31-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a 12ft Silstar 7144 surf rod, which I have been using with an Alvey. I have just started using it with a threadline and have found that the current 5" wooden butt makes it hard to cast. Anyone know the best way to remove this butt, or any design that can fit over this to give me more of a butt to cast with. This butt appears to be glued into the reel seat.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-08-2006, 07:08 AM
mmmmmmm # ::)

brett has crossed over from a man's reel - an alvey, to a spinner ....

and he finds himself wanting more butt .... # # :-?

... This butt appears to be glued into the reel seat. ...

the reel seat is usually a threaded sleeve that is slipped down over the tip and ends up glued into position on the thick butt section of the rod. The wooden butt is usually inserted up inside the butt section.

Are you saying the reel seat appears to be mounted on the wood rather than the blank itself. At the butt end of the reel seat is there any evidence of the blank showing or backing binding that may be covering the blank ?

chris

NeilD
01-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I would buy a purpose built spinning rod and keep the Alvey setup as it is the better rig for baitfishing the surf.
The usual way for extending the blank is to remove the timber sand spike (hopefully some clear blank is bellow the reel seat) and insert a male offcut of blank into the end of the blank with hypalon already fitted. It is a difficult job and much easier to keep your Alvey rig as is.

Neil

JewseeTHAT
01-08-2006, 09:31 AM
You will also have to remove all the guides, Alveys tend to run a guide or two less than a spinning reel, and the stripper guide will need to be repositioned. Far better to buy a rod already set up for a spinning reel. Look on the bright side, it's a perfect excuse to begin expanding your rod collection. :)

BRETT72
01-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I just showed the boss that I need to buy a new rod for the threadline and all I got was a roll of the eyes. Well, it wasn't a "no", so I'm half way there.