PDA

View Full Version : Your weapon of choice?

hardb8
04-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi all,
# # # #Please feel free to point out any reasons for your allegiance to your chosen company. # # # # #Be it:- Design/Construction, Durability, Aftermarket parts availability/Service, Warranty, Ergonomics, Price, Or even aesthetic value.Please feel free to point-out the ones you've had bad experiences with as well,As all information will come in handy for those about to make a purchase.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Let the war begin. #Regards #hardb8 # ;)

Jeremy87
04-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I will use both daiwa and shimano reels. Both companies make good gear. In terms of warranty shimano is easier to work with though.

eimeo
04-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I have since moving to Queensland only brought shimano.Love the warranty and feel for the quality and longevity they are keenly priced.most of my fishing these days is saltwater.In my younger days in Tassie trout fishing all we ever used were diawas or mitchel reels.they worked well-shimano really wasnt a name then

dave

finding_time
04-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Diawa

I think they have have got the build quality over the other brands at least it seems that way when my various reels get serviced it generally the diawa's that need less work.

Ian

Just a word of advice the shimano warranty is a 10 year manufacturers fault warranty eg. they had to be a fault for the fault, if you do something stupid to your reel like let salt water get into it and it's bearings fail or it corrodes the warranty is useless. The same goes if you drop it and it crackes or bends warranty useless! ;)

Big_unit
04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
No loyalties in this one, I just buy the reel that feels the best and represents the best dollar value. Ive got & had most of the above brands except for Pfleuger which just doesnt appeal to me at all. Most companies seem to excel in one way or another, horses for courses seems to fit my reel buying philosphy.

I started off with Jarvis Walkers as a kid and sometimes I think they are the way to go, simple & cheap. If it breaks,wears out or is stolen its not overly expensive to replace it.

Okuma reels have also made thier way into my collection. Ive had a great run with various models from thier stable.

Another brand worthy of a plug is Gladiator, Ive had some Champion Gold Series reels that performed well in terms of catching fish and durability, also got a great response from the team at Gladiator with my one warranty claim. I had four Gladiator reels and used them heavily.

I think thier are some pros and cons for most brands and you only find out what suits you best with trial and error.

Cheers
James

blaze
05-08-2006, 12:11 AM
seem to have more shimano than any thing else, why I dont know. Thats just seems to be how it happened. I also have penn, diawa, abu, shakesphere and even an ebay forsyth reel.
cheers
blaze

Got_the_Fever
05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I have shimano, penn and alvey. I grew up using alveys and I know i can always depend on their reliability. Having said that it comes down to the job you want it to do. For tossing sp's I use the shimano 2000 and 4000. For fishing a reef I use the Penn 6000. Everything else it has to be the alvey, it is rugged enough to handle everything I play with.

Kel

TheSaint
05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Shimano as a brand has always been good to me as i used to race mountain bikes with Shimano gearing & brakes that absolutely copped a hammering but kept going & going..

My first ever reel i brought was cheap Shimano number that is still working fine to this day after 17 years of very hard life of never being washed down, serviced or even any TLC shown to it.

I'll keep buying shimano until i past on or they do, cause all of the reasons above & these..

Design/Construction, Durability, Service, Warranty, Ergonomics, Price & aesthetic value

hungry6
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I buy shimanos for the reason that the handle winding geometry angle is far superior than everything else on the market, There are other similar built products around, but under pressure "tuna" it is very apparent.

SURF_SNIPER
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
is there any other reel..................................ALVEY all the way.....................not much you cant use them for :)

billfisher
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
All my baitcasters are ABUs. They cast well, are not too expensive and you can get parts for the older ones. For larger reels it is hard to go past the Shimano range. I have Tiagras, Trinidads, Toriums, Tynos and a Speedmaster eggbeater. They are all high performing reels and have a better warranty and customer service than other brands, as well as being good value for money.

Daiwa do make some very good reels also, but tend to be on the expensive side. I have a couple of Penns too and there are some very good models in their range.

wayne_cook
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Iv'e always prefered shim. and abu but recently been impressed with some diawa gear.my vote went to shim.

Bushbasher
05-08-2006, 09:14 PM
You didn't list Okuma and I have more of them in spinners than anything else although I do have a couple of Daiwas and a Shimano. As for overheads I love my Abus. Reliable, simple in construction, easy to maintain and parts are readily available.

spinner
06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
For innovation and inventiveness, Shimano and Daiwa.
For value for money, Penn and Abu
For asthetics and enjoyment, Avet
My vote went to Shimano, even though some of their early products
were disappointing.

phatty
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
daiwa is leading the race in threadlines.. Small spinning reels with hardcore drags...
got my vote..

Feral
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
WOuld have liked to pick 2, Alvey and Shimano, been using Alvey side casts and Shimano egg beaters for as long as I can remember. Why? - Well the reels I use are still the same ones I bought 25 years ago, had no need to replace them.

matthill80
06-08-2006, 08:09 PM
its gotto be daiwa there new stuff just keeps geting better and better. had alot of shimano but have nearly replaced them all with new daiwa stuff. never had a problem with warranty because i havent needed it.
warranties are pretty much useless anyways if it doesnt break in the first few outings then the warranty wont cover what does IMO

cheers matt

TinarooTriumph
06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Daiwa for me,

TT 8-)

iank
07-08-2006, 08:21 AM
3x stradics, 2x twin power, 3x sustains, 1x stella, 2x curados bsf's, 1x calcutta, 2x TLD 20 and 1x abu, I think I voted shimano. ;) ;D
Cheers Ian
ps 2x okuma fly reels

Stumpy-USA2
08-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Daiwa all the way! I have 3 TD Advantage HST's, and 3 TD Advantage 150's. I have not got around to replacing my other reels yet.

Got the Daiwa bug about a year ago and can't get rid of it. They cast so much better than the other reels I have used, and they will take a ton of abuse and keep coming back for more.

Stumpy

Steve_Monckton
10-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I have 2 x Penn o/h, 1 x shimano torium o/h, 1 x Abu o/h, 3 x shimano b/c, 1 x Quantum b/c, 5 x Shimano e/b, 12 x Okuma e/b.
I prefer the Okuma eggbeaters for lure tossing for jewfish, from the bigger EZ90 down to the ABF20, which is only a small reel but can still withstand the pressure of fighting large jew. I fish for all types of freshwater and saltwater fish available in NSW and QLD. Okuma is the preferred eggbeater reel while Shimano is still good for o/h and baitcaster reels. And I think I am turning into a tackle rat!!!! Need a bigger shed. Cheers, steve. :)

lock
10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Alvey for surf but shimano for most everything else due to the quality and price

woody74
10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
After the weekend, my new shimano calais baitcaster reel ;D ;D. Haden't used it before :-[, and broke it in with my pb bass ;D ;D

woody74
10-08-2006, 08:02 PM
My new baby ::)

banshee
10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I have a few good Shimano's that I've had for years and one good Daiwa that I purchased in the last 18 months,Daiwa will be my first choice from now on.