PDA

View Full Version : My Okuma snapped!!!???

Dr_Pod
10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I was out fishing fishermans Island last friday and got a hit on my lure and struck back hard only to have the foot on my reel snap! :o what the!!

I didn't know what happend, there I was holding the reel in one hand rod in the other, I thought for a split second I snapped my rod :-?

Anyway this was a great reel up until now, but I don't think a good reel should do this.

The Reel was an okuma epix EB30, has anyone had a simlar problem with an okuma or any other brand????

Bashir
10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
another okuma bites the dust. ::)

Duyz72
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
How old is that one?

Glind
11-10-2006, 08:34 AM
I had one fall apart on the first run of a good fish, same model too. The neck or shank twisted easily and the gear case section opened up like a can of worms. Threw it out and bought a Shimano Baitrunner.
I reckon it was my fault, I was being a tight ar$e and should have bought the Simano first up. Cost me a lot more in the long run.
Tim

davo
11-10-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm not a fan either. On ethe plus side, they have 5 year warranty so get on to them.

Jonli
11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I was out fishing fishermans Island last friday and got a hit on my lure and struck back hard only to have the foot on my reel snap! :o what the!!

I didn't know what happend, there I was holding the reel in one hand rod in the other, I thought for a split second I snapped my rod :-?

Anyway this was a great reel up until now, but I don't think a good reel should do this.

The Reel was an okuma epix EB30, has anyone had a simlar problem with an okuma or any other brand????

Could it be Drag Spike is the cause of this breakage ? Happened to Z4500 of mine but in different location . In my opinion , this is caused by imperfection during the die casting process but if OKUMA honors their 5 years warranty , shouldn't be a problem .

JonLi .

finding_time
11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Just interested what sort of reel seat you have on the rod. Composite or metal?

ian

Bashir
11-10-2006, 05:51 PM
die casting?? I'm pretty sure the epix has a plastic body not metal.... but will stand corrected if anybody is bothered to look it up and prove me wrong. ;D

DR
11-10-2006, 05:51 PM
i'd give the warranty a workout. i have a 60efs, nice reel, but i can't get used to the thing flexing when cranking a lure back to the boat. bought it on the internet without realising it was not a metal body..

Jonli
11-10-2006, 07:39 PM
die casting?? I'm pretty sure the epix has a plastic body not metal.... but will stand corrected if anybody is bothered to look it up and prove me wrong. ;D

Bashir ,

You are right , it's plastic body or something like that .

JonLi .

Far_Canal
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
lifetime warranty dont you mean.

again, not surprising from an Okuma reel.

Dr_Pod
11-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the feed back guys!! Will try to answer some of these questions

The reel was only 2 years old, if that, and yes it is made from some composite plastic. I was using it with a Shimano T - Curve rod and that has a Fuji plastic composite reel seat.

I will try and get it replaced on warranty, but now have the long painful process of finding the paper work. Oh no :-[

But anyway the good news is I fixed the problem today by going out and buying a Shimano Twin Power!!! Giddy up!! :) :D Can't wait to use this baby!! And it comes with a 10year warranty!!

Now all I have to do is hide the bankcard statement from the mrs when it comes in :-/!! This is going to be tuff, I better make sure I get out fishing a few times before it's delivered, as I can feel a few "work around the house" weekends will be needed to sweeten this back up ;D

Dr Pod

grave41
11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I sold my epix and bought an eclipse .Best thind i ever did and havent been able to fault it even on cobia.
Graham

grave41
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
finding_time hit the nail on the head.Spinning reels should only be used with composite handles as it allows for movement created by spinning reels. IMO Graham

Bashir
11-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I disagree, tell that to all the people that still use their old spinning rods with metal reel seats (I still have a few and I;m only 22) Never had a reel break, but I fish the proper line classes on them and the majority of my reels are metal bodied or shimano graphite (eg baitrunners)

Kendall249
11-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Bashir is on the money, as I've known a couple of lads who have owned okuma reels that have sh*t themselves, :(. (the reels that is!)

Cruize
12-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Buy Daiwa

manangatang
15-10-2006, 08:20 AM
roo, there you go some more okuma quality for you ! ::)

Steve_Monckton
15-10-2006, 11:52 AM
G'day, I own half a dozen Okuma reels (spincasters) From the EZ90 for jewfish down to an MQ20 for Bass and have never had a problem apart from bail arm roller bearings going rusty if not maintained regularly. I have been using The smaller reels ABF20 baitrunner and MQ45 exclusively with braid line and targeting larger jewfish. The braid I am using is 4.5kg,9kg and 12kg breaking strain and I have noticed when I have put full lockup on the reel drag there is a certain amount of flexing with the reel stem, But these reels were never designed for the size of the fish I have been catching (up to 21kg). I think a lot of fisho's are loading their smaller reels up with heavy braid which is abrupt and has no give in it and expecting to be able to stop bigger fish in their tracks.I know of fisho,s who have broken top of the line shimano eggbeaters with the same fishing technique. But if you are willing to pay big$$$ for your tackle, go for it. The best I have seen is a fishing mate of mine consistantly catching big jew on a $25 no name reel. The Shimano baitcasters are excellent and I own a couple but I also have caught metre plus barra on a $70 Quantum baitcaster. Go figure!! cheers, steve.