PDA

View Full Version : Tieing braid to mono?????

geoff72
17-10-2006, 02:34 PM
can anyone help me with tieing mono to braid. I can only do it using a swivel, and i think the swivel may be causeing havick underwater with bubbles comming of it or making my line to heavy. Its only a small swivel but i have seen on videos they dont use them,they tie straight mono to braid. if anyone knows something about this i would be stoked.

cheers

geoff

revs57
17-10-2006, 03:34 PM
G'day Geoff..the ausfish animated knot section will be helpful

I usually tie a bimini in the braid to make a double then an improved albright to join the mono, using the double loop of the braid as the starting point for the mono to pass through on the way to tying the albright

Good luck with it...its a new science but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine

Cheers

Rhys

imnotoriginal
17-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I use the stren knot mate. It's a locked blood knot in the braid and uni knot (hangman's noose) in the mono. I haven't had any problems with it to date so I'll stick with it.
Joel

Poodroo
17-10-2006, 04:27 PM
I agree with the animated knot section. It is a very good area for learning all sorts of knots. Also as a suggestion what better way to get to know fellow Ausfishers than trying to find out who lives nearby to you and then perhaps meeting and fishing with them and sharing ideas on knots, techniques etc. If you are real lucky you might even get to be a deckie for someone. ;)

Poodroo

DazSamFishing
17-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I usually tie a bimini in the braid to make a double then an improved albright to join the mono

The same knot I use Geoff...

If you are having trouble with the paper instructions... visit your local tackle store... I am sure they will give you a practical demo...

Its all about practise!

Daz

dinky
17-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Berkley has a soft plastic dvd,been out a little while.Tha presenter is Adam MAD DOG Royter he covers all what your asking about & more.I found it very helpful,i think bcf have it ;)

Y-Not
17-10-2006, 07:20 PM
I make a double in the braid (using what I was told is a) Spider Hitch and joining with an allbright works fine as long as you take your time to get the double even

Tony_N
17-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Best: bimini twist in the braid to a a Tony Jones Leader Knot

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/tonyjonesleader_knot.html

Pull it up very tight when you close the knot and leave approx 3 mms tag or better still do a rizzuto finish or double hitch with the tag

Tony

TinarooTriumph
17-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Tony said it!. Bimini to a Tony Jones... just make sure your leader has the lowest possible diameter possible, otherwise the Tony Jones knot can be quite bulky. If your having trouble with tieing a Bimini, try doing a Spider Hitch, works just as well mate.

NormC
17-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm yet to master the Bimini twist and fear there are not enough years left for me to do it.

I currently use an Albright Knot, but have not yet tested it on a big barra.

Another knot worth considering seems to be the Stren knot which Stren says is ideal for braid to leader. It is essentially a Uni knot in the leader and a clinch knot in the braid.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/fishing/article/0,12746,472807,00.html

Tony_N
18-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey Norm

The bimini double only looks hard to do. It just means sitting down one day and doing two or three of them and gaining confidence. The finish with the hitches as explained on our Ausfish site is much less fiddley than using the loop of mono to finish the knot as described by Geoff Wilson. His finishing method can get to be a bit fiddley in a big swell with wind chop. I really believe it is worth persevering with.

Tony

NormC
18-10-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree the Ausfish animated knot makes it look easier than most other versions, but still a major effort when out on the water. A couple of questions if you have the patience:

After doing the initial twist, the tag is fed down through the loop. Is the tag then taken to the top of the loop and a second run of twists done over the top of the first twists and the part of the tag that has been taken back to the top? Follow? This is what it looks like in the animated instructions, but it is tot clear to me. If I'm right, is a 70 rurn Bimini 35 over 35 or 70 over 70?

I assume I make the loop about 200mm long, then use the loop as one line to tie and Albright to the leader. This must make a very long knot (70 turn Bimini in braid, then Albright in both). Any trouble with it passing through the guides? The slightest touch on the guides tends to cause over run on my baitcaster.

I'm assuming the main problem with single strand braid is it's tendancy to cut into the mono leader and weaken it. For heavy (impoundment barra) fishing (which I plan on doing for the first time in a couple of weaks), I was planning on using 50 lb braid and 80 lb mono leader. There is a fair bit of thickness in the mono for the braid to cut through. Unless I manage the Bimini, I would have used an Albright and a bit of super glue over the knot to smooth it out, particularly the tag end as it passes through the guides first.

Thanks
Norm C

Tony_N
18-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Norm - have sent you a PM

Tony

Jonli
18-10-2006, 02:45 PM
can anyone help me with tieing mono to braid. I can only do it using a swivel, and i think the swivel may be causeing havick underwater with bubbles comming of it or making my line to heavy. Its only a small swivel but i have seen on videos they dont use them,they tie straight mono to braid. if anyone knows something about this i would be stoked.

cheers

geoff

Hi Geoff ,

Got my mail for MidKnot ?

JonLi .

cammac
18-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi

a Bimini scares me :( are they that hard? I use a double overhand (double surgeons?) to tie monos anyone tried it braid to mono?
Cam

scottym
18-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I had difficulty tying a bimini from instructions from a book. Once I got a mate to show me how to do it, I then found it rather easy.

NormC
18-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I dropped into my local tackle store today and had them show me the Bimini. He tied it a bit differently to how most of the instructiions I've seen, but it wasn't too difficult once shown. The key now is practice to get it nice and tight each time.

He also recommended the slim beauty as an alternative for a double in the braid to leader. I haven't used it, but it seems a fairly simple knot.