PDA

View Full Version : Which Rod??

wazza66
17-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Anybody recommend asuitable rod for a Shimano Symetre 4000 reel.
I want to use it with 20lb braid for soft plastics offshore for Snapper.
I have been recommended the Rack Raider ,but not sure.
Cheers

StevenM
17-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Top Shelf....Diawa Cielo....TD CEL 661WJS 6 ffot six fast taper 10-17lb

Only my opinion as you are or wanting to run 20 lb

cheers

Steven

NeilD
17-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I recently bought a Snapper Raider for the same purpose and it feels pretty good for the $. Sits well with a 4000 size reel and 10 kg braid. I am yet to use it in anger but it has a good feel to it

Neil

wazza66
17-10-2006, 08:32 PM
How much did you pay for the rod Neil?

Cheers

PlasticFantastic
18-10-2006, 08:42 PM
The Shimano T-Curve 5 - 10 kg is a great rod for what you want if you don't mind paying a bit more. Will handle any Snapper, Tuna, Jewies etc. Also it's a two piece if that's of any value to you. But other wise the Raider Snapper would be just as good and cheaper and I think it's 7'6 as compared to the T-Curve at 7 ft.

PlasticFantastic
18-10-2006, 08:42 PM
The Shimano T-Curve 5 - 10 kg is a great rod for what you want if you don't mind paying a bit more. Will handle any Snapper, Tuna, Jewies etc. Also it's a two piece if that's of any value to you. But other wise the Raider Snapper would be just as good and cheaper and I think it's 7'6 as compared to the T-Curve at 7 ft.

Brent_P
18-10-2006, 09:42 PM
The Shimano T-curve 5-10kg is one of those very versatile, slim "new age" rods that most people are sceptical about - until they see you bring in a 7kg mac tuna almost as easily as the guy next to you who's using a TLD25 and a 15-24kg live fibre. It's a lot stronger than it looks, and has a great feel to it when it's loaded up. I got mine for a bargain - plasticfantastic sold me his because he wanted to buy the Daiwa Catalina Nabura 68 you can see in his photo. Sorry, I can't say how good it is for soft plastics for snapper because I haven't done any of that with it, but I think Mark (plasticfantastic) had a bit of success with the rod. It's much stiffer in the tip than the Snapper Raider and can cast a heavier weight, but the stiffer tip might be a disadvantage when fishing plastics (when compared to the Raider) - I think Mark said something about that. Maybe he can answer that.
Anyway, I've had some fun with squire on my T-curve, and it handled some bigger stuff, no problems.

PlasticFantastic
19-10-2006, 09:51 AM
If you want to fish 1/2 ounce and above the T-Curve is more suitable but for 1/2 ounce and under go for the Snapper Raider.

PlasticFantastic

NeilD
19-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Wazza, I picked up the Snapper Raoder for $99.00 on a boat show special. PF is spot on with the Jig weight. Anything over 3/4 would be too much for it. It also casts a 15gm slug a country mile.

Neil