PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Eclipz EC-90

DanMacX2
20-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

I need some major help with selecting a rod and reel.

I am looking for a reel that I can use offshore for floating for snapper, live baiting for cobes and mackerel and also possibly the odd spinning.

I would also like to use this rod and reel land based as I love fishing from the rocks.

I have been told by 2 of the major boating and fishing and camping places here is brisbane that I would be better off getting the Okuma Eclipz EC-90 over the Shimano Baitrunner 6500, (what do you guys think) I know the Okuma has a lifetime warranty, and the Shimano has a 10, but how about the drag system of the OKUMA, does it add up to the drag of the Shimano bait runner. (I am also open for other suggestions, I have 2 x overheads 1 x tyranos 30 and 1 x tld 25. But I really want a good allrounder baitfeeder.)

Also I would like to go for a 8 - 10 KG 6 - 7 foot rod to match the reel but I just dont know what to get. The baitfeeder will be spooled with 10kg line.

Who can help in this daunting decision, I want something that is well ballanced and give a feeling of confidence when hooked up. I know it is not the size of the rod but the fight in the rod, but I feel a 6-7 foot rod should suffice for the rock fishing as well as offshore fishing.

WHO CAN HELP ME?

I am looking at spending upto $400.00 as I will layby the gear but I really want to know what people are using and what they feel would give me the best value for money and no let me down.

Thanks Guys and Girls

Far_Canal
20-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Personally, in would go the shimano over the okuma. Iv rarely heard of problems with shimano reels (especially btr's) whereas okuma seem to have a fair few reels going back to vendors because of problems. The main problems iv heard about with okuma is handles cracking and the body of the reel cracking.

Alot of the problems with okuma seem to happen when the reel has been taken to the max, like big fish, or fast spinning etc.

Lifetime warranty does sound good yeah, but i think id rather have a reel that doesnt break because of stupid things every year or less. Its always a hassle having to send it away, because that sort of stuff takes weeks, id rather have a decent reel that i know i can trust (especially on big fish) rather than one where theres always a bit of doubt in my mind.

my thoughts mate.

DanMacX2
20-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks Max, Good to hear someone who is not affraid to say what they have heard. Thankyou very much will keep this in mind for when I make my decision. by the way, do you know where I can get reviews on the reels in mind?

Daniel

budge
20-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey mate i own both the baitrunner and an okuma epix which isnt a baitfeeder model. They are both nice reels and while the okuma feels a little more balanced than the shimano i would have to say the shimano has it all over the okuma in every other aspect.
The okuma drag can feel a tad sticky at times and no way is it built to the quality and robustness of the baitrunner. The only thing the baitrunner is going to let you down a little on is high speed spinning as it is a little slow and heavy, although the okuma model is going to be no better. My advice would be to spend the extra money and get the baitrunner you wont be dissapointed.
As for a rod i would suggest if you are considering using it off the rocks or spinning you go for at least 7' rod, most people on here would recommend the live fibre and they are a great rod. However i have mine matched up to a Daiwa grandwave 15-30lb and its a awesome combo, it feels very well matched. To me the grand wave feels like it has the edge over the holy grail of the live fibre.