PDA

View Full Version : Scales for setting drag

seatime
17-10-2006, 05:46 PM
G'day

I'm after a set of reliable corrosion resistant scales to carry in the boat for setting drags on star drag and threadline reels.

I'm not too worried about weighing the catch, just want to be able to quickly check the drag setting between fights.

What type to use?
I would prefer them to be capable of temporary mounting on the boat so I don't have to get them out of the box every time.
any ideas?

thanks in advance
Steve.

timbacutta
17-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I use Salter tube scales for setting all my drags before going fishing but not sure how you would go mounting them in a boat. Maybe one of the sets of digital scales might work, but don't know about mounting them without them getting in the road but still have quick and easy access.

Jeff.

seatime
17-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks Jeff, mounting was a thought, but might not work.

cheers

Duyz72
17-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Most scales have a solid ring at one end, use a quick release clip (karabiner style) to attach to any part of boat, then detach when required.

You can find cheap versions of a Karabiner at any hardware store for a few bucks and they come in a variety of sizes too.

Tony_N
18-10-2006, 05:50 AM
G'day Steve

I can see the value in having this sort of setup, but I've never seen a set of scales that would function in this way. #I mean, I find that for measuring drag I need to have those spring loaded scales that have a plastic ring around them that gets pushed along the scale as pressure is applied and stays at the kg mark reached when the pressure is taken off. #These would rust. #Digital scales and salt water don't seem to be compatible either.

You might just have to practice (in front of TV?) guessing a drag you have set (by pulling line by hand from the reel) and checking it on the spring scales with the ring until you have a feel for it and can reset pretty well right on your preferred setting (or buy a lever drag reel :))

Tony

seatime
18-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi Tony

My prob is I can't leave the preset on the lever drag alone. I'm planning on using the 6/0's more this season, I need to participate more in the fight than just pushing the LD forward (personality issues related).
Also a bit worried when using the braid and leader knots, so I would like to be able to quickly check my max drag.
I'll have to stick with the pull off by hand method, it hasn't failed me before ;) ;)

regards
Steve.

Duyz72
18-10-2006, 02:03 PM
To help you be a bit more accurate on the pull off by hand method, I suppose you can always knock up a basic rig like this.

Grab a few 2kg, 1kg and 0.5kg weights, make a shaft for them to go on which would also weigh 1 kg with a ring on the end for your terminal to connect to.

When you want 6kg of drag, just add 5kg worth plates to it and so on.

Sure you are carring extra weight around, but at least you know it will always be accurate, rust won't matter so much, no moving parts or springs and you can use it and then store it.

whichway
20-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi

Along the lines of Duyz72, I've often thought about using a bucket part full of water. Mark the sides in litre divisions and you can generate drag settings up to 9kg in a standard bucket, 20kg in a bigger one.

Acutally I think I will try to sort this out. It seems like a pretty good idea.

Whichway

seatime
21-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks blokes

I'll try the weights instead of worrying about carrying scales on the boat.

Duyz and whichway, both terrific ideas, I'll try both.

cheers
Steve.

NormC
21-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Whichway, that is a great idea. I'll give it a go. Always carry a bucket in the tinnie, so no extra to carry. That's handy as it is just a roof topper.