PDA

View Full Version : Jack Erskine style twisted leaders

bearclaw
27-10-2006, 07:12 PM
G'day all,
Just wanted to find out from the users of Jack's style of twisted leader when these leaders have failed where did they fail and was it from abrassion.

Myles

hardb8
27-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Myles,
Have used em on Barra a little (As I don't get away much),And Bass alot.Haven't had one fail yet.All leader systems are subject to abrasion,It's inevitable.So when it happens,Just retie.I make my own from flurocarbon.

bearclaw
27-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Hardb8,
I noticed on some of your pics that you use the Knotted dog style, do you also use the crimped style as well. I currently use the knotted dog style myself and was just interested to see, whether the 80lb single strand mono actually broke above the twisted section.

Myles

hardb8
27-10-2006, 09:40 PM
I finish mine with knots,No crimps.

My Bass leaders are 8lb twisted to 16lb,Then tied to a small snap via a four turn Uni knot,Or looped onto a lure if I'll be using it all day via a Perfection Loop.

Upon Breaking these leaders when snagged from the bank when the tackleback don't work >:(.I find I get the entire double back.And the leader will snap at the top loop where it is tied on.

Haven't had to snap a Barra leader yet.All lures have been retrievable from the kayak :)Would probably capsize me if I tried LOL.In this situation I reckon the braid (Mainline) would break before the leader material.My Barra braid is only 30lb.

McCod
28-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Have only ever used the style of leader that you are talking about once.... but have seen them in use before and found them atached to lures up @ Faust. It's usually a dodgy main line knot that lets go! But have seen them get cut through the 2 strands before by there gill rakers when running heavy drag setting..... after all how easy is it to cut though mono when pulled tight. Used to hand twist KD type leader myself which worked OK.... but mainly use heavy braid for barra leaders now!

Cheers Les

hussy
28-10-2006, 08:27 AM
knotted dogs are tied by machine, they have a double ,double section on the end which is then secured with two 8 turn nail knots,like the add says ,they dont let go. anything will break from abrasion, they are great things. hubby

Mak579
28-10-2006, 08:53 AM
No failures for me as yet!

Matt C