PDA

View Full Version : Open Runner for Alvey

ergo
04-11-2006, 07:32 AM
G'day fellow Alvey users,
This is my first post to Ausfish.com so be gentle!! #;D
I have been using an Alvey 650C5 for about 5 years now and it's a great reel on surf beaches - just about bomb proof. I have caught plenty of Salmon a few Tailor and Flatties but now I am trying to target Mulloway and a larger "by- catch" like Rays.
I am looking for advice on how to use the Open Runner. I can successfully use my fingers to lay the line on the spool with smaller stuff - No probs. For big salmon I use a bit of Elastoplast on my left index finger to lay the line under a bit of load - and still not cut my skin. But for much bigger fish I can see the need to use the Open Runner to protect my hands.
I have got a copy of the Alvey video and even when the presenter catches a mulloway he is NOT using the Open Runner. Check it out. There are a few frames where you can clearly see that the line is NOT in the Open Runner.
Any tips from experienced Alvey users would be much appreciated. #[smiley=helpa.gif] I think that pic or two might be needed to illustrate the best way to guide the line FROM the Open Runner to the Spool. How close to the Open Runner do you place your left hand? Do you use your little finger to guide the line or your index finger?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Ergo # ;D

nigelr
04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Ergo, welcome to Ausfish!
Personally speaking I used an Alvey similar to yours for close on 30 years, never used an open runner at all.
However I'm sure there are members who do use the device to great effect, who will reply with info on how to use it effectively.
Landed mulloway to 26kg, rays etc to 30 kg, didn't find non-use of open runner a problem at all.
From memory I used my index finger to guide line onto reel.
Now I'm too old and wussy to stand for hours at night (my favourite style of fishing) holding a heavy Alvey, now I use a threadline with either a bail arm or a manual pick-up, no need to guide line and considerably lighter to handle.
Good luck with your Alvey, they sure are bulletproof and damn effective fish takers!
Cheers and congrats on joining the Ausfish community!

ergo
04-11-2006, 01:06 PM
G'day Nigelr,
Thanks for your kind welcome. 8-) I have spoken with a bunch of Alvey users like you who have never used the open runner and caught big fish. But I really would like to know how to use the open runner properly. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Hopefully there are some Alvey gurus out there who can point me in the right direction.
Cheers,
Ergo ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2006, 02:29 PM
eregoes ergo, ;)

i'm not a big guy only about 5'10, the rod is a 13ft wilson teamed to a 700c Alvey, so you don't need a big reach to have your fingers near the open runner

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2006, 02:30 PM
waiting for a bite, note how the line sits on the pads of the finger and not the in the joint, the fingers are near the open runner and by playing your finger back and forth you can put the line in the open runner & out again easily

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2006, 02:30 PM
reeling in with little weight on , by extending your fingers or bringing them together you can change tension - i only use this when fishing drains with virtually no weight on

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2006, 02:31 PM
reeling in with a fish on. when you've connected to the fish you contract your left index finger to the left side of the rod and up slightly and you'll find the line will find its own way into the runner. Even when using the open runner you use your finger to guide the line across the spool. Most of the time I forget to use it.

every so often dunk your hand and the rod tip in the water to wet the line - if the line you are winding in is dry thats what'll burn your fingers. Why is the line stationary for such a long period..... are you truly fishing or waiting to be lucky #:-?

hope this helps

chris

ergo
04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
G'day Chris,
Thanks for a top post mate. The pics are great and I fully understand the need to keep ya hand wet too. ;)
This is an awesome website and thanks for helping me out!!
I see that this thread has already had 55 reads so plenty of others are benefitting too.
Cheers,
Ergo ;D

ergo
05-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Thanks again Chris,
I reckon Alvey should include your pics in their Information Sheets to help out newbies like me. # :-[
Much appreciated that you took time to take those shots and post them. #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Cheers,
Ergo #;D

P.S. In answer to your query, I do keep my bait moving most of the time. But a lot of my fishing is in South Oz where it's cold enough and the wave action strong enough that ya don't want to be standing in the water in ya stubbies # ;) #Especially in winter.
Thus keeping ya hands wet is not always easy to do.

SURF_SNIPER
05-11-2006, 02:06 PM
all i use it for is for some extra tension on the line when i do up the rig and throw the rod on the car, i have one rod with an open runner as it was a conp prize, all the rest i build myself and havent added an open runner as i belive it is not needed.

ergo
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
G'day GWH,
I'be been praticing and I still find it tricky to keep the line in the Open Runner. :-[
It tends to pop out pretty darn easy. Any extra tips or am I an uncordinated motor-moron? ::)
Cheers,
Ergo ;D

Feral
05-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Dont use an open runner, nor do I have any problems with line burn on the fingers. If the fish is taking line, you dont need your fingers anywhere near the line, if you reeling in a fish, the idea is to guide the line on, not run it over your fingers, you need very little line pressure to move the line left or right, if you find you cant help yourself running the line hard over your fingers, dont wind so fast! you need to play the fish, not skull drag it in!

ergo
05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Thansk Feral,
Fair comments about not skull-draggin 'em #:-[
Seems wierd that Alvey insist that the Open Runner is the way to go when of about 20 Alvey users that I know only GWH reckons he uses it - but even then he mostly fogets. :-?
I would have expected more guys to provide advice unless GWH was perfect in his reply.
Thanks to those who have already provided tips. 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Cheers,
Ergo

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-11-2006, 07:57 PM
... If the fish is taking line, you dont need your fingers anywhere near the line, if you reeling in a fish, the idea is to guide the line on, not run it over your fingers, you need very little line pressure to move the line left or right, if you find you cant help yourself running the line hard over your fingers, dont wind so fast! you need to play the fish, not skull drag it in!

i keep my fingers on the line at all times, its the big advantage of an alvey - you can feel if a fish has turned and is running at you before it shows.

Don't get too hung up on the open runner - get rid of the elastoplast - wet your hand and the line.

BTW a good handlining trick is a use 2 inch sections of bike tube slipped over you fingers to prevent line burn - but we are talking spaniards and 50lb handlines - you shouldn't need to do that on an alvey.

chris

ergo
06-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks Chris,
Looks like there are many ways to fish successfully with a big fish on an Alvey. I'll keep practicing and chasin' the bigguns! #
Much appreciated for everyone's suggestions. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Cheers,
Ergo #;D