PDA

View Full Version : Tackleback

sporty1
07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Guys

Does anyone have a favorite tackle back retriever. I have used the conventional one from dept stores but have seen other designs with chains etc. What does everyone consider to be the best device to use?

Far_Canal
08-11-2006, 09:07 AM
iv been told that the ones with chain are the best way to go, especially in snags etc. i use the cheap 5 buck job (tackleback) but havent had to use it so far so cant say too myuch about its effectiveness.

stack
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Definitely chains.

Stack

davez104
08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
The tackleback brand one does a pretty awesome job of retrieving snagged lures. I've found it so good that I have not even bothered looking at any of the others. Get the larger size as it seems to work a little bit better than the little one.

Dave.

RayB
08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I have always used a tackleback and can retrieve most of my lures but can't help thinking there is a better system. I am interested in hearing about the retriever with chains. Has anyone got a brand name?

cheers
Raymond

yasplayer06
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
The ones with th chains are a better way to go and as for price how many lures retrieved before it pays for itself? Not many....

Scott

bearclaw
08-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I have seen the tackleback modified by adding chains to it, the guy told me it worked a treat, best of both worlds I suppose.

Myles

jim_farrell
08-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I borrowed a home made one from a mate before I went to faust (with a chain). I can't say a non chain wouldn't have been as good, but I have my doubts. I had to swim after one down deep at awoonga. Normal tackle back couldn't get at it as it went under a couple of branches. I think the chain would've eventually found a treble in this instance.
Jim

Far_Canal
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
surely wouldnt be hard to add a bit of chain the the tackleback, a couple of zip ties and your done, the chain ones are 30 odd bucks

cdenyer
08-11-2006, 06:43 PM
A question for you guys using them tacklebacks from the dept stores. Are you boaties or land based?

I tried to retrieve a Jackall the other day from the shoreline, and found it so difficult to get a steep angle for the tackleback to slide down onto lure. Took me ages to get it down, and even then I am not sure it reached the lure.

Fortunately the branch broke away and I got my lure back, not sure whether the tackleback did its job.

Chris

Rod_Bender
08-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Mate if your only flicking lures - i.e. your lure is only going down max 2 metres. I purchased a cheap alloy hand spear a while back. On the spear head was five stakes which I trimmed all back except one. With the last stake I made it into a pig’s tail. I found this ultra easy for removing snagged lures. Simply place the line inside the pig tail and push down on the snagged lure and PRESTO… I find it a lot more user friendly then using tackle backs. Holding the boat against a large current and retrieving lures with a tackle isn’t the isn’t thing……especially by yourself.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-11-2006, 07:48 PM
i got me one of these a few years back - cost a bit but absolutely brilliant - apparently some models come with chains, mine doesn't. #;)

chris

i use the original tackle back - never lost a lure - they won't work though when you put a lure up in a tree with a wayward cast - this happen once when we'd seen an early morning jack nailing bait under a mangrove...

with the lure 10ft up in the tree we thought we'd get inventive and snuck in close and took the anchor off the chain and threw the chain and rope over the tree branch to bend it down so we could remove the lure (one of those really big mangrove species). The lure was about 2inches from our fingertips when the branch snapped off, landed in our 12 ft tinnie and just about capsized it. We figured all that noise would have scared the jack we were chasing from the hole under the mangrove so we chucked the mangrove branch overboard and picked the leaves out of our hair. I fired the motor up to reverse out and WHOOSH the jack leapt a foot out of the water and took off for the horizon......

cdenyer
08-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Mate if your only flicking lures - i.e. your lure is only going down max 2 metres.

No, the depth in some of the places I can reach from the bank gets down to about 20 metres easily. I can count a 19gram Jackall Mask Vibe 60 cast out and from touchdown on the water until it touches bottom is around the 20-25 count.So it is deep water, but doesn't drop away until about 10 feet out from shoreline.

Chris

bearclaw
08-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey Chris your fishing the wrong spots in NPD then. ;)

Rod_Bender
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah sorry mate, i only use floating lures....i forgot about the Jackall's or sinking lures... with such lures the largest tackleback would have to be used.

rick_k
09-11-2006, 11:48 PM
tackle backs work well vertical or close to vertical, unless the line/lure has done a couple of laps around the snag, or the snag is fishing line or net, when they don't work so well.

If you want to get an idea of how they might work when casting from the shore, try an experiment on dry land with the same sorts of angles. I doubt the tackleback would get to the lure, chain or no chain, unless the snag is close and the angle of the line deep.

Maybe an option is to go from lipless crankbait (gotta love them Yanks) to a soft plastic rigged hook up

Stumpy-USA2
10-11-2006, 02:03 AM
I like either of the ones made by Custom Lures Unlimited. A little expensive, but they work great.

rossco
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
here is a photo of my tackeback that i made ,it works better than the ones that you can buy.

cheers
rossco

agnes_jack
11-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Can't beat an 8', 2 piece handspear with a pigs tail on it. I have one in my boat and it is very rare that I can't get it back, so I also carry a heavy tackleback for when it's too deep for the pole. So far I have never lost a lure with these 2 on the boat. The pigs tail is way easier to use out of the boat, in wind or current it can be damn awkward to get the boat in the right position for the tacklebacks. Berkley's make a very cheap one with chain on it, but it can be a tad light in some cases.

Regards.............Tony