PDA

View Full Version : Beach/Rock Rods, One Piece versus Two Piece? ,

Tangles
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Looking at getting a couple of new surf/beach rods, question is up until now ive had to use a 2 piece as never had the 4wd setup and a one piece would never fit on the old car.

With a 4wd in the picture a one piece setup comes into play but just wondering what you guys reckon, pros and cons like 'feel' etc. Biggest issue for me probably is that with a one piece rig you cant lock up it in a car etc, so you have risks of some '.....' nicking it,

So the question is if one piece is the way to go how do you guys make sure it stays on your rig and not get nicked?

cheers
Mike

el_carpo
10-11-2006, 04:08 AM
You can't really stop a thief who is hell bent on stealing something. Your best bet would be to hide it from view as best you can and hope for the best.

aussiefool
10-11-2006, 04:17 AM
So the question is if one piece is the way to go how do you guys make sure it stays on your rig and not get nicked?

Easy............... take it fishin' ;D ;D ;D ;D

el_carpo
10-11-2006, 04:20 AM
There ya go! The simplest solutions are often the best. ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-11-2006, 06:22 AM
mike not to sure why you are leaving it on the car but

you can buy stainless steel cable wrapped in nylon for tying up bike - bind that around the rod - thru the first open runner and padlock to the roof rack.

another i have done in the past when I didn't have have this is to pass an electical lead (even jumper leads) thru the big runner then into the open doors of your car - then close the doors and lock them. This effectively locks the rod onto the car but light not be too good for the seals and jumper lead (although mine still work 10 years later).

As the guys said - if someone wants it bad enough they'll take it and ruin other stuff to get it. There is a lockable rod rack for bullbars now I've seen somewhere...

cammac
10-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Id say stick to the 2 piece if youve got concerns about loosing your rod.

In terms of beach fishing the difference between 1 and 2 piece rods is marginal but in saying that if you have the old style rods with metal ferels? then the new 2 piece rods are a big improvement on them.

Cam

NeilD
10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
My new surf rods are two piece. They feel OK to me.

Neil

craftycarp
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
modern 2 piece surf rods lose nothing to the one piece. If anything the modern graphite 2 piece rods outperform the older ones anyway.