PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new Bass outfit

NormC
10-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my bass fishing outfit. I'll use it for more than bass, but that's the main consideration.

I currently mostly use a little Shimano BC200 baitcaster on a Shimano Technium rod. It's been a great 'entry level' set up, and has got me hooked on baitcasters for lure fishing. I sometimes use a spinning reel, but just don't enjoy casting as much as with the baitcaster.

I recently got a new barra outfit; a Shimano Curado reel and Shimano Raider series rod. Moving to this better quality rig convinced me that I need a new bass outfit as well. The smooth action on the better reel makes an amazing difference and I never knew a drag could be so smooth.

So any recommendations for my bass outfit. Hoping to spend less than $300 if possible. With a bit of luck I might be able to drop a hint to my wife for Christmas. ;)

Sniper
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Why don't you go for another Raider rod but a bit lighter, such as the Raider Bass, and a curado or a Citica. I myself use a Citica and a Bass Raider with 10lb line and it casts Jackals a mile. Also you can put some good hurt on fish when you need to. If you want to go for a rod that has a bit more carbon on it the check out the T-Curves. It comes down to how much you want to spend. You can go all out and get a Chronach MG and a CBR783C G Loomis. Quite a few guys that do the comps use this outfit. Strudwick rods aren't bad either. My bass soft plastic spin stic is a Sik Stik pro and have caught some nice fish on it. Hope this helps. There's quite a number of combinations you can go for, but like I said before, depends on your budget. Let us know how much your looking at spending so others can have their input too.
Cheers
Billyboy

NormC
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Billyboy, I mentioned 'less than $300' in the original post - just hid it away a bit.

I got a good deal on the barra outfid (Barra Magnum and new model Curado) at $369. Hadn't thought of replicating the set up with a lighter rod, but it is a possibility if I can't get a real good set up for cheaper.

Pitty there is no simple way to change line on the reel. I'd end up with 2 identical expensive (for me) reels and only ever use one at a time.

Norm C

davez104
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Have you looked into what it would cost to buy another spool for the curado? Only 2 minute job to change spools and your off. Could save you quite a few $$ and save having unnessecary gear, ( the missus will love that).

Dave.

Sniper
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry I missed that about the price. These eyes are painted on sometimes. Was just about to mention about getting another spool but Dave beat me to it. What rating is the Barra Magnum? May be a bit heavey in some situations for Bass,but depends on how you fish. I use a 6-8kg rod for spinnerbaits. Bit of an overkill in the open but in the timber you can put some hurt on to pull the fish from heavy cover. Also like the heavier rod for casting the 1/2 - 5/8th ounce spinnerbaits. What sort of fishing do you plan to do with your new outfit?
Billyboy

NormC
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
The Magnum is rated at 6 to 10 KG.
I like to cast a variety of lures around structure, weed beds and the like. I use a variety of lures, depending on mood and what seems to (or might) work. Hard bodies, plastics, spinnerbaits, rattlers. I try them all, often without much success.

Same technique in salt for Jacks as in fresh for bass. I currently use the same equipment for both, just use a heavier leader when targeting Jacks.

I suspect the Magnum is a bit heavy duty (particularly for bass) but I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of equipment.

I hadn't thought of the extra spool. Have only had the Curado a couple of months so haven't looked at removing the spool yet. Often though, you can't do a great deal on parts, where there is a fair bit of negotiation available on combos. Going to the tackle shops I couldn't find my combo for under $499. I got a tip from this site for a web site that had a special deal at $369. Eventually got my local tackle shop to match that deal.

I'll give the extra spool a go, but if the saving is less than $100, I'll probably get the full combo again.

cammac
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
hi Norm,

i just picked up the smaller curado 100d from the states - dont know if u can get them here yet? dont know if you can get another spool for your curado either? depends how light a lure u want to cast? not interested in an eggbeater setup? might be cheaper way to go. i agree thou once u get a taste for the better quality reels its hard to go back! :) ::)

cam

turley
10-11-2006, 10:30 PM
as much as you love your baitcaster 300 doesnt' leave much to get a decent baitcasting reel and rod! I would rather recommend something in the spin range like a Shimano symetry or Daiwa Exceler in the 2500 sizing and spend the rest on a nice graphite rod in the 4-6kg range! Just make sure you can cast upto 1/2oz as that is very common weight of spinnerbait used in impoundment.

Otherwise, look for a good quality 2nd hand baitcasting reel and rod.

Hope that helped!

land-lubber
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Depending on the leangth u want in ur rod, tere are a couple of options in the raider range, and they are my pick for the work ur doing. I currently have the rod u own and the one suggested at work and have had a good play with both. the barra magnum rod is way overgunned for bass, ull loose casting distance on lgher lures/spinnerbaits. My suggestion is go the bass raider or river raider (latter is 4-6kgs i think) as it is almost made for bass and goes well with most baitcasters. Id be trying to get a new spool for that curado, shouldnt be hard, most tackle shops can get them (if avaliable for that reel) otherwise my pick would be the citica at a minimum (200-230). In other words, go to a good tackle store and ask if they can get the spare spools from the supplier, then decide what ur going to do.
cheers

NormC
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

The spare spool is a good idea. I'll check it out.

Although it means another Reel, I might look at the Curado 100 and get an expra spool with it. I'd put about 4 lb braid on one and use it for bass, bream and the like, then put about 10 lg braid on the other and use it for Jacks and possibly flathead.

I thought perhaps the 100 size reel might be better for the lighter lures, but interested in views on this.

If it seems that the 200 size reel would be OK with the lighter lures, I'd possibly get 2 spare reels for it and use it as an all rounder. Need to get some more advice on this though.

For a rod, I'll probably get the Bass raider as I'm happy with the raider rods so far. The river Raider looks good and the extra length possibly makes it even better for the light fishing, but carrying it might be a problem.